grim22

Thursday #s: TLJ 17.8M, Jumanji 7.55M, TGS 2.1M

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

???

How did it open 10 less than TFA?

Preview was 12 under.

OD was 15 under

OW was 27 under.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't lighting the world on fire.  But even 688 was plausible given recent trends of Cultural Phenomenon ==> Sequel.

I think he meant 10%. 

• Like 1

I've said it all along, but I think Solo will be the true tell.  If it somehow gets more than 450 (which I DO NOT expect), I think SW is unsinkable as a brand for a good long while in the domestic market.  Hell, if Solo gets more than 375, I think it is clear sailing for years and years (where clear sailing = near lock at 300m for side films and 600m for 'episodes'). It's only at 325 for it where it becomes a little dicey and sub-300 where the conversations perhaps start happening behind the scenes.

Maybe.  Who the heck really knows what happens and why in Tinsel Town. :)

10 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

10% less, typo.

Ah, no worries.  Well in that case, 700m sure isn't a disappointment to me.  Anything over 650m isn't all things considered, no matter how it gets there.  

But that's because I've been thinking about a floor of around 630 or so all along.  And I have a couple of years of posts to back me up on this. :P;)

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Downsizing was awful.

I got a hold of some script reviews and summaries a couple years back. The reviews were mixed-negative then. I figured Payne would fix the 3rd act issues before filming, but he kept it the same.I'm really disappointed as Payne's one of my favorite current directors.

Rogue one is the best comparison for TLJ to me, I cant rely on the data from 11 years ago, and which had much muCH lower gross than TLJ

And since x mas eve also fall on RO's 2nd weekend and Monday being the "x mas" replacement, RO is a closet that we have , looking from that,65% drop is totally possible, and Sunday to monday jump won't hit 100%

13 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Of course less and less people will give a fuck about Star Wars as Disney shits out a new one every year. 

It's ridiculous. Star Wars isn't Marvel: all these Star Wars Movies look exactly the same as the others. Same characters. Same costumes. Same weapons. Same villain. 

They need to either slow down or change shit drastically. I still ain't bothered enough to see this new one yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancelot123 said:

Just like Marvel movies... oh... wait... 

well the buzz around a new star wars movie was not similar to the buzz around a non avengers Marvel movies, different scale completely, at least in the USA and some markets.

It will go down from the most talked movie of the year, biggest box office of the year (often record breaking), absolute everywhere for months that was A new hope/Phantom Menace/Force Awaken to yes just like Marvel movies.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

I'd say from $62m to $67m.

If that happens then there won't be much of a difference between the 2nd weekend of a $155M opener and a $220M opener. There's no spinning that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

If that happens then there won't be much of a difference between the 2nd weekend of a $155M opener and a $220M opener. There's no spinning that.

except that the meat of holiday revenue is pushed back for sw8 and the 3rd weekend fss should stay flat instead of dropping to 50 like with rogue one. not to mention stronger mon-thu next week and stronger new year's monday. so this weekend's fss being similar or only 5 odd higher than rogue one belies the holiday schedule. will accept that it's gonna find it tough to match rogue one's 3.4x. thinking 3.2x right now.

Edited by a2knet

With Disney acquiring the Avatar franchise perhaps they might put the breaks on an annual release schedule for Star Wars and instead have one every two years in December with the Avatar sequels in between. 

Honestly I think Marvel is unique with their ability to release multiple instalments. Plus with the MCU you have separate franchises running at the same time with the gap between say a Captain America film and another Cap film being 2 years minimum. Star Wars right now is just the saga films and a bunch of spin-off films that have no relation with one another. It's much harder to get people excited for the spin-offs when they're each self contained stories with no link. The Rian Johnson trilogy idea is a very good one though Disney is probably a little more wary depending on how TLJ does.  

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

except that the meat of holiday revenue is pushed back for sw8 and the 3rd weekend fss should stay flat instead of dropping to 50 like with rogue one. not to mention stronger mon-thu next week and stronger new year's monday. so this weekend's fss being similar or only 5 odd higher than rogue one belies the holiday schedule. will accept that it's gonna find it tough to match rogue one's 3.4x. thinking 3.2x right now.

Isn't that rogue obe 3rd weekend fall was 22.5%? TLJ should be able to pull the same drop

30 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I agree...it's like how BvS couldn't spin its awful legs, even though it had an enormous opening and still made good money (3.5x production budget)...

If one weekend brings the 2 movies to the same 2nd weekend number, even with Xmas Eve, that's so not good...

If it's under Rogue One...well...

Here's hoping the weekend's not that bad and much, much better...

PS - One extra worry I have is that theaters have no incentive to sell this if they have better product, since they retain 10% less in ticket sales...one of my locals is slowly removing any showings it can if it has anything better...28 last weekend to 21 through Tuesday to 18 from Wed through Saturday to 13/14/15 come Sunday-Thursday...that's 1/2 the showings gone in 9 days from original opening weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

50 minutes ago, AJG said:

It's ridiculous. Star Wars isn't Marvel: all these Star Wars Movies look exactly the same as the others. Same characters. Same costumes. Same weapons. Same villain.

Well the prequels tried something different, but then Disney and JJ copied everything from the old movies for the sequels - including the 70's costumes and spaceships with old timey technology.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

They need to either slow down or change shit drastically. I still ain't bothered enough to see this new one yet.

So the same as Marvel. All the marvel movies look the same. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1