grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Logan and Deadpool took huge creative risk, and they succeed beautifully...

Almost all MCU movies play safe, and they make awesome achievement...

Valerian took huge risk, and they failed, and thousand of movies play safe out there, they still a failure..

My point, box office achievement come with its quality, not by how much the risks they have taken.... 

This. Also knowing what the movie is about, what the main theme is. That's so muddled in TLJ cause it can't decide what it wants to be. People don't like that. 

@Firepower Preach. For all boasting that TLJ is nothing like ESB it's still a reversal of ESB which means it is like ESB. Not being like ESB would be being Blade Runner or Logan, a movie totally not based on ESB beats whether reversed or straight. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

add on, and come with their marketing .......lol

Yes, right. Awesome marketing can give you fantastic BO results.

Box office has nothing to do with the filmmaking quality of a movie. It has everything to do with how much audiences like the movie. Those two things are not always the same.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It was never going to gross as much as TFA. But with much better WOM it might have come close to $800m.

Thank you. Thats all I've been saying for the last 2 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The problem aren't risks. The problem is bloat. TLJ has an entire plot that simply doesn't work and yet it takes up half of the running time or more. That's the problem. It's hardcore fans who have problems with "risks"(mostly surrounding one specific character) but casual viewer is always going to have more problem with boredom. And that part of the movie is insufferable. Also, TLJ humor doesn't work and that's another determent. 

That entire plot that you are complaining about was all part of the risk. They could have used a safer plot or re-worked the same plot to play out in a safer way. I can't say much more because I don't want to get into spoilers, but those were part of the risks that were taken.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

If it really gets 27m, that is lower than Saturday.. Gosh.

Right, so I guess shopping and travel really don't beat missing one of your fullest shows for the morning, especially when your late nights suck...

Man, 2 days in a row...I think I should stop now and go on a trip and just watch (see everyone in a few) b/c 3 in a row for called days would be impossible:)...

MT.com really showed the Jumamji strength (and the other holdovers to a lesser extent) and the TLJ "weakness" for jumps...

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

Extreme box office success (and again this is all about potential because TLJ will achieve more than most movies ever dream of) has to do with giving the audiences what they want and meeting their expectations. 

There's no such rule. It's not for nothing that there's a saying that goes like "give customers a thing they love before they even know they want it". But both approaches can work.

I am still learning about the box office. So I have a question. What if the Christmas Eve number had really been 14.6m like estimated, wouldn’t 27m CD be considered good? Maybe more people than expected who wanted to see SW went to the movies on Sunday and less people than expected went on Monday? Isn’t it a wash?  

Just now, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I am still learning about the box office. So I have a question. What if the Christmas Eve number had really been 14.6m like estimated, wouldn’t 27m CD be considered good? Maybe more people than expected who wanted to see SW went to the movies on Sunday and less people than expected went on Monday? Isn’t it a wash?  

well, that will put TLJ's sunday drop be the harshest among all others, beside PP3.

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This. Also knowing what the movie is about, what the main theme is. That's so muddled in TLJ cause it can't decide what it wants to be. People don't like that. 

@Firepower Preach. For all boasting that TLJ is nothing like ESB it's still a reversal of ESB which means it is like ESB. Not being like ESB would be being Blade Runner or Logan, a movie totally not based on ESB beats whether reversed or straight. 

I mean Jedi training, battle on the white planet with giant walking machines, resistance escape are all from ESB + some noticable elements from ROJ. It's exactly safe SW movie, just with the worse script and that's why people are not happy with it. Taking risks is about making something much different, not about writing a bad script.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

It would have been considered better, not sure about good, but better. 

People talk about humor like it’s black or white amuses me. What doesn’t work for you probably works for many other people

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yes, right. Awesome marketing can give you fantastic BO results.

Box office has nothing to do with the filmmaking quality of a movie. It has everything to do with how much audiences like the movie. Those two things are not always the same.

Yes, this. TLJ marketing clearly hyped people for 220M opening weekend. Reviews may have boosted the interest a little too. Calendar did hurt the boxoffice, however, as we knew it would. But now it seems that WOM is indeed more mixed that expected and that's solely on the movie itself, not marketing. People saw the movie and didn't connect with it in greater numbers (relative to expectations, not overall cause any 600M+ grosser clearly connects with a lot of people). 

@Lordmandeep Not sure about fan service saves the day. AOTC is one of the most fan servicy movies ever and it's one of the most hated movies. IMO, fan service doesn't fix problems cause fan service is style, not substance. It's like polishing a turd. A turd is a turd even when it's polished. What TLJ needed was focus (since it spread itself too thin trying to show as many POV as possible), trimming (too many unnecessary detours and characters), tight writing and editing. IMO, it's an average blockbuster with tons of silliness (while not being aware of its own stupidity unlike MCU whose charm is in self-awareness), above average performances by Driver, Hamill and Ridley, some delicious ham by Gleeson and Serkis, some neat cinematography, one show-stopping cheer-inducing action scene, and lots and lots of bloat (aka anything that doesn't revolve around Driver/Hamill/Ridley). And that's exactly the feedback I'm constantly getting from both the Internet reactions and real life comments. Not that movie should have a scene where X does this or that but that, overall, it felt like nothing really happened, hard to care about 80% of cast, dumb story, unfunny, long sit. 

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

TLJ took some  huge risks.

IMO it took to many. 

I can see people feeling this way.  The people in this thread saying it took no risks are crazy though.  And let's be clear while a lot of people didn't like how long the one subplot that even those that love the movie think went on too long, the story risks the movie took are why WOM is divisive.  After the opening weekend I thought right around Avatar numbers was possible (didn't see it having legs much better than Rogue One with calendar and how big it opened even if it was universally liked but this is going to fall around $100M-$125M short of that.  I'm sure Disney now wishes they had taken a super conservative approach with the VIII and IX and then done the risk taking in a spinoff trilogy.  But with that said the movie is incredibly successful and I'm sure Abrams makes a crowd pleasing IX that will also be super successful.  Only Star Wars could pull off a $600M plus disappointment lol.

JUMANJI :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod: 300M is happening for sure. Y'all can continue saying "maybe it can cross 250M!", but I'm focusing on bigger things.

Fantastic increase for Showman too.

That's fairly disappointing for Money. WOM isn't that strong, so unless Plummer gets an Oscar nomination, it'll be thwarted in January. 

TLJ... at this point it's beating a dead horse. WOM is obviously around 70%, which is weak for a blockbuster. The rewatchability factor also isn't there given the long runtime.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

JUMANJI :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod: 300M is happening for sure. Y'all can continue saying "maybe it can cross 250M!", but I'm focusing on bigger things.

Fantastic increase for Showman too.

That's fairly disappointing for Money. WOM isn't that strong, so unless Plummer gets an Oscar nomination, it'll be thwarted in January. 

TLJ... at this point it's beating a dead horse. WOM is obviously around 70%, which is weak for a blockbuster. The rewatchability factor also isn't there given the long runtime.

What was the number for All the Money in the World? I don't want to have to sift through pages of The Last Jedi debate.

2 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

Other places are reporting 32m Monday, where is this 27m coming from?

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/box-office-star-wars-last-jedi-jumanji-1202648552/

Its deadlines early estimate. However god has shown up and told us that 27M is the right number. Another god showed up and told us it might go near 28M.

Edited by Brainbug

2 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:
10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The problem aren't risks. The problem is bloat. TLJ has an entire plot that simply doesn't work and yet it takes up half of the running time or more. That's the problem. It's hardcore fans who have problems with "risks"(mostly surrounding one specific character) but casual viewer is always going to have more problem with boredom. And that part of the movie is insufferable. Also, TLJ humor doesn't work and that's another determent. 

That entire plot that you are complaining about was all part of the risk. They could have used a safer plot or re-worked the same plot to play out in a safer way. I can't say much more because I don't want to get into spoilers, but those were part of the risks that were taken.

This is really funny.

Now I do wonder what is these pissed-off hardcore fans opinion on TFA. Is that a cheerful reboot, or a complete ANH-wannabe crap. (Yeah we know there's no middle ground for hardcore fans.)

Their being pissed off would actually make sense if it was the latter.