grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 hour ago, Galupp said:

How the mods allowed such an ignorant racist like Empire to continue posting is fucking beyond me.

1 hour ago, Galupp said:

Your constant ignorant racist posts against Asians' movie tastes fucking offended me as an Asian person.

:hahaha:

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just got back from my second viewing of TLJ and it really is an excellent film.  A couple of flaws here and there, but overall it's a very well made film that is dense and tightly plotted.  I liked it even more than when I saw it the first time.  Probably the third or fourth best of all of the SW films, in a virtual tie with R1 and just a tick behind ANH/RotJ.  So when I say, 3rd or 4th best, I am not damning with faint praise.  It really is an excellent film for me.

I'm just not entirely certain it's a crowd pleaser, which is an very different thing.  I'm not going to say something ridiculous like it's an art house flick or even an indie-like film for a couple of reasons.  First off, it's not.  It's not even close to either of those things and anyone who even hints at that as an explanation for its box office run needs to be roundly mocked.  Secondly and perhaps more importantly, the "it's an art house film" talking point was so badly ruined by all of the flames surrounding various DCEU films that said well is well and truly poisoned.  So it's just inviting trouble to even come close to that spin, though I certainly understand the impulse.

That being said, I somewhat (and I do mean somewhat) feel this is more of an adult-skewing film, whatever that means.  I won't even hint at reasoning except to say it really is different beast than other previous SW films, including Rogue One.  

Well, except for one SW film.  Three guesses, first two don't count.

To put it another way, this might have been better served to be a so-called summer film or even a March/April one where it would do well on the weekends and pick up an audience at the night time, after work viewings during the week.  Trying to appeal to a holiday crowd.... Well, it'll get its numbers, if not nearly as much as many people, myself included thought. 

If people want to mock its final total, whatever that is, well, I simply won't agree with you.  Nor is there is anything in this film that will do damage to the brand or make it so Ep 9 has to 'fix things'. 

The film is what it is. Expecting it to be something else, might be the biggest problem of them all.  For both the detractors and the over exuberant supporters.

And, no, I won't try to pull the "it'll be better thought of by some as time goes on crowd" card because no one knows the future.  Plus that well is poisioned as well.  (Thanks bunches, Synder. :)

But, as said, I do think Ep 9 has absolutely nothing to worry about. BvS mkII this isn't.  

Great post and i want to say that in general your posts have been very interesting and thought-provoking in the last weeks. Keep it up :)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Still very early, but I think today might surprise a bit.

Does this mean we finally get our +100% increase on Last Jedi to a whopping *$54m* like some users here Promised us?? :ohmygod:

21 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

TA1 623m  ->  TA2 459m   a 26% drop

With the same drop TLJ should finish 692m. And it looks like now it will certainly finish under that.

Funny.

Most of BOT members declared Age of Ultron was a massive disapointment back in 2015.

If I didn't know better, I would have swore Ultron was a giant flop just by reading them.

Wonder how they are gonna call the hum-hum box office run of their precious Sta War movie this year.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Funny.

Most of BOT members declared Age of Ultron was a massive disapointment back in 2015.

If I didn't know better, I would have swore Ultron was a giant flop just by reading them.

Wonder how they are gonna call the tepid box office run of their precious Sta War movie this year.

Star Wars has some BIG concessions here on BOT.

4 minutes ago, GadnukBreakerOfWorlds said:

Over yesterday? Really? 

Dang that'd be great. I just wanted it to stay on par with last week. If today thru Jan 2nd could be higher than the last 7 days I'd be happy :)

If TLJ would gross 20M today like last Tuesday, that woud be absolutely horrendous.

I’ll say this my 9:30 am crowd seemed to react pretty positively.  There was quite a few laughs when it called for it.  

Now I didn’t hear any clapping but I’ve never really experienced that around here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

If it is I'll be really confused by its run.

$25,865,004
$64,033,768
69% / -31.4%
- / -58.7%
4,157 / $6,222
$15,404
$286,033,442 / 10
$32,085,637
$96,119,405
24.1% / 82.3%
- / -38%
4,157 / $7,718
$23,122
$318,119,079 / 11

These are Rogue Ones numbers from last year. It had a 24,1% jump on the 26th over its Christmas Day, which was a Sunday. Ofc, the different calendar configurations make comparisons iffy, but TLJ increasing would make total sense.

• Like 1

lol

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4