grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

Loved it - 0

Liked it - 3

Liked it with serious reservations and no ability to see a trilogy work for 9 - 2

Hated it and won't go back - 6 (1 of these will be at 9 anyway, b/c their spouse is an uber-fan and will NOT miss - she told him so in front of me at Xmas - she is obviously also one of the 3 likes:)

Of this group, all said Jumanji was better.

I'm agnostic b/c I've seen Jumanji, but not TLJ (yep, after this feedback, I've waited - let's say I was given a "BvS type" spoiler scene that would probably drive me bonkers, so it's probably better I know and watch at home, keeping it to myself:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

640ish seems more likely now than 650+. This weekend did not go as we expected. 

I cant wait for next weekends numbers. A weekend without any holiday affect will be crucial for us when predicting the ballpark for the final gross imo. 

15 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The two things most hurting The Last Jedi are running time and a certified $300m+ breakout of another shorter crowd pleasing family choice.  It was evident on Christmas Day and is now evident this weekend.  Jumanji has broken through to mini-phenomenon level and is simply sucking up all the late breaking family business on the Holiday and the weekend.  

Yeah, TFA attracted a lot of families and Daddy’s Home likely benefited more from TFA sellouts than bein first choice competition.

Jumanji is first choice competition, there’s simply only so many tickets that can be reasonably sold within the family demo.

• Like 2

Just now, The Last Panda said:

Yeah, TFA attracted a lot of families and Daddy’s Home likely benefited more from TFA sellouts than bein first choice competition.

Jumanji is first choice competition, there’s simply only so many tickets that can be reasonably sold within the family demo.

Tell that to 2009. Avatar faced stiffer competition from Sherlock and Chipmunks ($430m domestic combined). Avatar was also 10 minutes longer than Last Jedi. 

• Like 1

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Spoke to 2536 people who saw TLJ and loved it.

99.9%

Mixed WoM dismissed.

Thats kinda the point. Is all anecdotical. I mean, maybe you hated Titanic in 1997 and all your friends did too. Would have meant jack sh*t for its run :lol:

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Spoke to 2536 people who saw TLJ and loved it.

99.9%

Mixed WoM dismissed.

Weird, I spoke personally to everyone in my town by phone and only 1753 out of 9543 said it was good.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Tell that to 2009. Avatar faced stiffer competition from Sherlock and Chipmunks ($430m domestic combined). Avatar was also 10 minutes longer than Last Jedi. 

Avatar also needed 32 Days to hit 500M. TLJ will do that in 16 Days. TLJ is also a sequel to a cultural phenomenon (TFA). Avatar WAS a cultural phenomenon.

Its apples and oranges.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Avatar also needed 32 Days to hit 500M. TLJ will do that in 16 Days. TLJ is also a sequel to a cultural phenomenon (TFA). Avatar WAS a cultural phenomenon.

Its apples and oranges.

When it comes to the runtime and competition excuse, that is some weak bullshit. Avatar was on fewer screens, 10 minutes longer, and faced much tougher competition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I, Tonya is doing great so far. Christmas/Holiday numbers don't mean much for specialty fare when all they have to do during that period is survive. Curious about how Phantom Thread will expand (it goes "wide" January 19) though given that it's not looking at anything above the line other than a DDL Best Actor nod. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

When it comes to the runtime and competition excuse, that is some weak bullshit. Avatar was on fewer screens, 10 minutes longer, and faced much tougher competition. 

Well, that has nothing to do with my post. Avatar - like Titanic - had an epic runtime, so of course it had fewer showings. But that didnt effect it, because it developed fantastic legs. It got more and more people interested that didnt even know about it when it came out OW.

SW is a whole different league. You just can compare it with an original film like Avatar, that didnt have any built-in fanbase.

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Also I find it hilarious that the only people who are talking shit about Shape of Water can only bring up the bestiality bullshit.  Spoken truly like someone who hasn’t seen the movie.

That's actually the best thing about the movie.  Too much of it is just a hammer-to-the-head unsubtle social justice screed.

The gay neighbor is just like the lonely monster, lol.  Give me a break.