grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I've had the exact opposite anecdotal situation as that, most everyone I know hates the paint by numbers third act of Avatar with the mustache twirling villain and likes all the visual stuff that came before it.  Same thing with Titanic where people often stop watching once the iceberg hits. 

This was for initial release on Avatar and home video release on Titanic.  

Wait what? Usually that's considered the part of the movie to skip straight to when watching at home 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On the NYD projection...

TLJ has been rocking 10ams and falling flat at 10pms...but how many folks are gonna be up early for 10ams on 1/1?  And most folks work the next day, so 10pms and later should still suck...so if you go from 4 shows a day rocking it (like on 12/30) to 3 shows a day rocking it (12/31 and 1/1), it's not a big leap to think NYD might not be better than NYE (which will also have 3 rocking shows, but at different times, with 7pms starting to suck and 10pms being dead)...

Rocking 10 am's? I'll give you flat on 10pm, but my checks have shown it doing well in afternoon shows into the evening, but pretty quiet in the morning. Tiny sample size on my end though, so anecdotal at best

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On the NYD projection...

TLJ has been rocking 10ams and falling flat at 10pms...but how many folks are gonna be up early for 10ams on 1/1?  And most folks work the next day, so 10pms and later should still suck...so if you go from 4 shows a day rocking it (like on 12/30) to 3 shows a day rocking it (12/31 and 1/1), it's not a big leap to think NYD might not be better than NYE (which will also have 3 rocking shows, but at different times, with 7pms starting to suck and 10pms being dead)...

I have seen this as well, another bit of evidence the run time is hurting the gross.  

• Like 1

Nearly staying flat with last weekends number, could go up with actuals (its international numbers have always gone up till now). With 1.040B worlwide, it also beat DM3's number to be third-highest grossing movie this year. Fate of the Furry and Beauty and the Beast are next.

Just now, bamajagala said:

Rocking 10 am's? I'll give you flat on 10pm, but my checks have shown it doing well in afternoon shows into the evening, but pretty quiet in the morning. Tiny sample size on my end though, so anecdotal at best

Yeah, I said my local area (for once - probably only time all year) seems to be on for this movie, and 10ams have outsold 10pms pretty much every day of the run.  Now, the afternoons are the sellouts, but mornings have proven the stronger time for TLJ (it's why I predicted Xmas Eve drop wouldn't be as bad, but Xmas day jump wouldn't be good...that worked, so I'm sticking with it, seeing how my area is doing today:)...

• Like 1

TLJ is obviously a good, sometimes even great movie with some flaws, just like the OT. I think many people are jumping on hate-trains like with BvS and AoU (although these are worse movies), my recommend list on Youtube is filled with TLJ SUCKED or WHY TLJ RUINED MY FAV CHARACTER, people see that and think it‘s cool now to hate on TLJ. There are some who have problems and can back up these with valid examples, but so many just hate to look cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I have seen this as well, another bit of evidence the run time is hurting the gross.  

Wish I could give you a like...but dang limits:)...

And I've probably not said this before, but thanks for being on the board...I appreciate the back and forth, even if it sometimes gets a touch heated, b/c you are one poster who makes me think harder and post more carefully, probably more than any other:)...hopefully, I do the same...at least sometimes:)...

• Like 1