grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

Here's why word of mouth is mixed for TLJ:

1) A friend loved it, but said he won't rush to watch it again.

2) A friend liked it, but said he won't watch it again.

3) A friend hated it, but said he'll watch it again because he thought the first time was a prank from Rian Johnson

4) A friend hated it and said he won't be watching the next episode

5) A friend didn't go to watch it, but will buy the dvd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Well, that has nothing to do with my post. Avatar - like Titanic - had an epic runtime, so of course it had fewer showings. But that didnt effect it, because it developed fantastic legs. It got more and more people interested that didnt even know about it when it came out OW.

SW is a whole different league. You just can compare it with an original film like Avatar, that didnt have any built-in fanbase.

When it comes to capacity and competition, it is a fair comparison.

If we are gonna blame those elements for Last Jedi missing 700, then we can easily blame them for Avatar missing 800. It faced a fuck ton of competition for ticket sales and screen count from Sherlock and Chipmunks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Tell that to 2009. Avatar faced stiffer competition from Sherlock and Chipmunks ($430m domestic combined). Avatar was also 10 minutes longer than Last Jedi. 

In total gross Avatar was making around the same as TLJ at this point.

Further, Avatar is an exception when it comes to BO, no the rule.  Just like TFA was an exception. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I, Tonya is doing great so far. Christmas/Holiday numbers don't mean much for specialty fare when all they have to do during that period is survive.

Yeh it’s doing great, I look forward to seeing it. 

But I don’t think it’ll be that big on expansion. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh it’s doing great, I look forward to seeing it. 

But I don’t think it’ll be that big on expansion. 

It should make $15-20M at least, which would be really good for a film that's looking to be a Best Actress/Supporting Actress play and nothing more.

Rian Johnson: Usually I don’t like to read reviews...but...like I’m just excited, I can’t wait.  I wanna know how people feel about. I just wanna know how much they love it so...here we go.

Kathleen Kennedy: What do you see?

Rian Johnson: Well, Rotten Tomatoes audiences...they gave it a rotten review.

Kathleen Kennedy: Someone didn’t like it?

Rian Johnson: No, like it’s a 52%.  Out of 100% I assume.  Rotten Tomatoes can have bots though, so...you’re not gonna knock my house over, let’s look at another one.

Twitter users...okay...out of all these tweets I’m reading, Twitter users are giving it...the shit emoji.  I can only assume it’s a typo.  They must’ve had a problem...no this seems like the right score for how they’re saying this.

You know what, let’s just search...here we go.  Star Wars: The Last Jedi, a crowd pleasing film.  That’s a good one.  This is on...The Onion!  So, you know, mixed, let’s call it mixed reviews.

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

When it comes to capacity and competition, it is a fair comparison.

If we are gonna blame those elements for Last Jedi missing 700, then we can easily blame them for Avatar missing 800. It faced a fuck ton of competition for ticket sales and screen count from Sherlock and Chipmunks. 

That’s fair to say, no Chipmunks or Holmes and Avatar likely would have grossed around 50m more or so.

You can’t dismiss competition as a factor though just because Avatar (a movie with abnormally insane legs) weathered fine.

3 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

In total gross Avatar was making around the same as TLJ at this point.

Avatar made $68m third weekend and $50m fourth weekend. That 4th week had no holiday boost. Last Jedi is about to make 50-54 for 3rd weekend with holiday boost. 4th weekend will probably be around $25m without holiday boost. 

6 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

That’s fair to say, no Chipmunks or Holmes and Avatar likely would have grossed around 50m more or so.

You can’t dismiss competition as a factor though just because Avatar (a movie with abnormally insane legs) weathered fine.

I don’t think it’s the main factor like a certain person here keeps saying.