grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

On 1/3/2017 at 7:30 AM, WrathOfHan said:

The Mummy: People on here are underestimating this film. The first trailer exploded online and has some of the highest trailer views for any 2017 movie. Additionally, the IMAX trailer with messed up audio exploded and got people talking more. Do not underestimate how much people love The Mummy. The first film adjusts to 260M, and the second adjusts to 303M. Even The Scorpion King adjusts to 133M! If they had 3D and large formats, the first would have grossed over 300M and the second might have approached 400M. Tom Cruise hasn’t had a big hit lately outside of the Mission Impossible series, but he can be a big draw in the right role. I have had enough of people saying these predictions aren’t controversial. Many have gone outside of the normal range, but people still blast me for this. You want some fucking controversy? I’ll give it to you. The Mummy is going to do to the Monsters Cinematic Universe what Iron Man did to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (I’m just realizing they have the same initials :lol: ). The biggest box office hits come unexpected, and The Mummy has all the right components to break out: a bankable star, buzz, and nostalgia. A Cruise Missile is incoming. You’ve been warned.  

Reveal hidden contents

• Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Sure but winning the year? Do we really expect it to be bigger than Dory or is this just the loonies talking?

I'm always wrong about Pixar so I'm really asking here

I feel people's assurance the movie will cross $400M is more on people's love and nostalgia for the first movie, rather than any actual statistical analysis. I do think at the very least it will cross the $330M mark, though.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There is a good chance Incredibles does very well, but trailer views is definitely not the metric on which to base any potential performance.

To be fair, The Mummy trailer had lots of dislikes. People were curious to see the trainwreck trailer, but not crazy to pay for the movie in cinemas

Edited by Alli

The one thing Incredibles has going for it is that DM3, the worst movie I saw in theaters this year and the only one of ten for which I wanted my money back...still got a huge summer total by being "the only one".  Those camp and sport team field trips, plus those bored families on rainy days, really add up.  If you exist, and are inoffensive and gender neutral, you probably earn a decent total just from existing...if you are actually good, this decent total can go way up...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

reminder that people based the huge predictions for IT based on trailer views and we all know how that turned out.  but sure, just pull out the Mummy card every time someone uses trailer views as a reason for why a film might do big numbers.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

same movie with brendan fraser would've made 350 million.

same movie with Brendan Fraser would have still been one of the worst blockbusters of the decade.

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

I'm sitting here at Smitty's with my mom, who is treating me to breakfast, and we're talking about TLJ. Whether people liked it or not, it's got everyone talking.

People would be talking about star wars no matter what they did.

21 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I've kinda given up on trying to stan for Alita.  my focus is on Annihilation and Mortal Engines.  maybe A Quiet Place too.

Still a bit annoyed that Annihilation is straight-to-Netflix here in the UK.