a2k

Wednesday Numbers: TLJ $5.1 million

1 minute ago, weresweresweres said:

Justice league finally outgrossed Logan.

A consolation prize :hahaha:Can't believe that the finals for JL and TLJ will end up about the same $ off from my pre-release expectations (75m) talk about money left on the table...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lol, I’ve responded to this before.  Read the articles.  Between RO and TLJ Toys R Us (one of the main retailers) went bankrupt and thus shipments obviously went way down (the article is about shipments, as in orders from retailers).  Also notice, this decrease happened before TLJ was even release, so it has nothing to do with audience reception of the movie, lol.

Add that to the toy industry being on the decline anyways, and that TFA was obviously bigger (and was always going to be bigger) than TLJ.  And it’s no duh toy sales are down.  They’re down for every franchise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

From what I understand he had to have pitched something in order to get green lighted.  Regardless, I think the worst that happens to Johnson’s trilogy is that it gets a bit more oversight from Kennedy to ensure it doesn’t do anything to controversial.

Here's a quote from Johnson about it:

“I mean honestly, it came from getting toward the end of this film, end of the process,” Johnson says. “I mean, it kind of felt like the last week of senior year. We were all packing up our desks, cleaning out our lockers and we’d had such a good experience.  Not just with this movie, but with [Kathleen] Kennedy and with the folks at Disney, Bob Iger, Alan Horn. We just had a really good collaborative relationship with everybody and we all were just kind of looking at each other and saying, ‘How do we keep working together?’ And so that was when I said, ‘The most interesting thing to me would be new trilogy. A new story told over three movies. To go a new place, new characters, clean slate. Let’s come up with something new.’ And there was nothing that seemed more exciting to me, and they were really excited about it.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Lol, I’ve responded to this before.  Read the articles.  Between RO and TLJ Toys R Us (one of the main retailers) went bankrupt and thus shipments obviously went way down (the article is about shipments, as in orders from retailers).  Also notice, this decrease happened before TLJ was even release, so it has nothing to do with audience reception of the movie, lol.

Add that to the toy industry being on the decline anyways, and that TFA was obviously bigger (and was always going to be bigger) than TLJ.  And it’s no duh toy sales are down.  They’re down for every franchise.

So the suggestion they are going to make a killing with merchandising in the future is false. 

This stream will be less then before as well as will boxoffice. 

Disney will transform SW from a gold plated franchise to pretty much run of the mill blockbusters each year.

I am so excited... 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

Avengers had a holiday that Monday that would be the only odd day based on me looking, it made 10 mill so we couldn't count that one.

Interesting that you want to ignore TLJ's holiday boost this week compared to Avengers or TFA, both of which had zero holiday boost on Day 19.

I looked at the 2006 releases with the same calendar as TLJ. Average drop from Tuesday the 2nd to Tuesday the 9th was around 70%. That would put Last Jedi at about $2.4m next Tuesday when the boost is over. TFA was $3.8m (no boost), JW was $4.8m (summer holidays for kids), and Avengers was $3.26m on the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Darkest Hour and Molly's Game are hanging in there compared to everything else :jeb!: 

Lady Bird (only -5%) and Disaster Artist too. Adult oriented movies doing better yesterday than family oriented ones for some reason.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Do they go around the Internet voting the movie 1/10 too ?

That is 2 different conversation people are having one over the others, no one is saying people that do not like the new Star Wars movies are from the alt-right or hardcore star wars fans or DC fans getting around revenge for the BvS reception.....

But among people that go around the web taking time to vote and vote 1/10 ?

No they don't.

Anecdotally looking at those user ratings (especially say, on metacritic) it seems that many of the people giving it a 9-10 are overreacting to the 0-1 scores, you'll very frequently see them open their review by saying how they can't believe there's this much butthurt about TLJ.  Many of the people giving it 0-1 are reacting to the 9-10's who are likewise very upset that anyone could possibly see anything positive in this movie.  The truth obviously is somewhere between, but the calm users giving it 6-7 stars are very few in number relatively speaking.

FWIW, I was upset that TLJ got 93% on RT, but I do think SW films are uniquely difficult for people to fairly review for a number of reasons so I can understand how this would happen.  Professional critics are people too and very few are willing to stick their neck out and be like the reviewers that crapped all over Empire Strikes Back back in the day, only to be proven wrong in time.  In hindsight Empire is considered the best of the series but at the time in 1980 professional critic reviews were very mixed.  I think every pro critic is aware of this history and it does have some weight on their final score.

3 minutes ago, REC said:

FWIW, I was upset that TLJ got 93% on RT,

k

3 minutes ago, REC said:

but I do think SW films are uniquely difficult for people to fairly review for a number of reasons so I can understand how this would happen.  Professional critics are people too and very few are willing to stick their neck out and be like the reviewers that crapped all over Empire Strikes Back back in the day, only to be proven wrong in time.  In hindsight Empire is considered the best of the series but at the time in 1980 professional critic reviews were very mixed.  I think every pro critic is aware of this history and it does have some weight on their final score.

Doesn't explain why critics can upset you.

23 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

So the suggestion they are going to make a killing with merchandising in the future is false. 

This stream will be less then before as well as will boxoffice. 

Disney will transform SW from a gold plated franchise to pretty much run of the mill blockbusters each year.

I am so excited... 

Merchandising is more than toys, and they’re still making a killing with merchandising, just not TFA levels lol.  Not everything has to be record breaking to be good business.

• Like 2

Daily Domestic Chart for Wednesday January 3rd, 2018

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (2) Star Wars Ep. VIII: The Las… Walt Disney $5,225,332 -34% 4,232 $1,235   $544,613,735 20
- (4) Pitch Perfect 3 Universal $2,265,195 -33% 3,468 $653   $73,828,655 13
- (6) Coco Walt Disney $1,246,854 -28% 2,104 $593   $185,443,211 43
- (8) Darkest Hour Focus Features $778,545 -17% 943 $826   $21,372,667 43
- (9) Downsizing Paramount Pictures $632,255 -31% 2,664 $237   $20,251,632 13
- (11) Father Figures Warner Bros. $467,119 -32% 2,902 $161   $15,188,848 13
- (13) Molly’s Game STX Entertainment $357,125 -15% 271 $1,318   $6,913,420 10
- (14) Lady Bird A24 $235,613 -5% 392 $601   $32,351,107 62
- (15) Justice League Warner Bros. $178,230 -28% 1,215 $147   $226,339,162 48
- (-) The Disaster Artist A24 $175,593 -15% 507 $346   $18,552,297 34
- (-) Thor: Ragnarok Walt Disney $137,563 -25% 540 $255   $311,819,895 62
- (-) Daddy’s Home 2 Paramount Pictures $121,691 -30% 1,073 $113   $102,367,444 55
- (-) Phantom Thread Focus Features $37,910 -3% 4 $9,478   $681,415 10
- (-) A Bad Moms Christmas STX Entertainment $20,357 -9% 214 $95   $71,978,678 64
- (-) The Florida Project A24 $12,443 -5% 33 $377   $5,338,857 90
- (-) Blade Runner 2049 Warner Bros. $11,173 +23% 75 $149   $91,691,337 90
- (-) Geostorm Warner Bros. $8,901 -19% 110 $81   $33,620,034 76
- (-) Hostiles Entertainment Studi… $7,732 -10% 5 $1,546   $118,111 13
- (-) Victoria and Abdul Focus Features $2,440 -13% 23 $106   $22,242,380 104
- (-) Marshall Open Road $1,079 -26% 50 $22   $9,473,687 83
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Interesting that you want to ignore TLJ's holiday boost this week compared to Avengers or TFA, both of which had zero holiday boost on Day 19.

I looked at the 2006 releases with the same calendar as TLJ. Average drop from Tuesday the 2nd to Tuesday the 9th was around 70%. That would put Last Jedi at about $2.4m next Tuesday when the boost is over. TFA was $3.8m (no boost), JW was $4.8m (summer holidays for kids), and Avengers was $3.26m on the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

I mean Avengers had no competition.. and performed well during the summer, I;m just pointing out on the same day in release TLJ has similar numbers to the most comparable films we have. after people have suggested it was a meh hold. based on what I shared, it's pretty expected, i  if TLJ has a better Tuesday next week it could be holding the same. The upcoming week gave Avengers a little holiday bump, it then fell 69% on Tuesday. a different time of the year, but still a bump.  

Critics like TLJ as it was a well-made film.

The audience reaction is more to do with divided opinions around storyline which is more subjective.

To others something is a betrayal of SW or huge plot holes, to others is bold and groundbreaking.

Edited by Lordmandeep

4 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

I mean Avengers had no competition.. and performed well during the summer, I;m just pointing out on the same day in release TLJ has similar numbers to the most comparable films we have. after people have suggested it was a meh hold. based on what I shared, it's pretty expected, i  if TLJ has a better Tuesday next week it could be holding the same. The upcoming week gave Avengers a little holiday bump, it then fell 69% on Tuesday. a different time of the year, but still a bump.  

TLJ is significantly boosted right now compared to the other films you mentioned. Next Tuesday will be significantly lower than the others. Look at the week to week holds for the 2006 releases on TLJ's exact same calendar configuration.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2007-01-09&p=.htm

Edited by redfirebird2008

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

TLJ is significantly boosted right now compared to the other films you mentioned. Next Tuesday will be significantly lower than the others. Look at the week to week holds for the 2006 releases on TLJ's exact same calendar configuration.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2007-01-09&p=.htm

I mean it's not holding like 2006. it hasn't the entire time, I'm not sure why you would expect it to next week.