a2k

Wednesday Numbers: TLJ $5.1 million

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Remember when TDK was the 2nd biggest all-time behind Titanic? 500+ meant something more back then (and cannot even fathom what 600+ meant in 1997).

There's a shot that this year no film makes it to 500 dom, so TDK doing it 10 years back was something special, in 2D. 

And if a film makes 500+ this year, Dory will be pushed out - top 10 will only have 500+.

Wow you’re right. TDK was indeed #2. Haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Saw Last Flag Flying tonight.  Phenomenal film.  Cranston is superb.  

Interesting. First time hearing of it.

Any word on The Phantom Thread’s expansion? Disaster Artist was in theaters for seemingly a few days during the crowded Christmas season and if I didn’t see it when I did I would have missed out. I fear I missed the TPT window. 

Just now, lilmac said:

Any word on The Phantom Thread’s expansion? Disaster Artist was in theaters for seemingly a few days during the crowded Christmas season and if I didn’t see it when I did I would have missed out. I fear I missed the TPT window. 

Phantom Thread is gaining two theaters this weekend, goes into select markets next weekend in 70MM, and will be wide on the 19th

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Again, I haven't seen that.

I know one guy, die hard SW fan and he still said "Thumbs Up, but barely". That's the harshest personal comment I've seen on the film. My anecdotal range of folks doesn't see the hate for this film some camps are on about.

True. Spoken to many people about it and the worst was ‘meh’

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Which is a stellar number. 

A massive success. 

Just because people had outrageous expectations doesn't mean the film has done poorly as some would have you think.

$406M DOM is what Disney/LFL will take home after deductions.

Hmmm.

Doesn't seem like a lot to me all things considered.

3 hours ago, lilmac said:

Last Flag Flying was fantastic.

Phantom Thread, uhh, you guys will love it? I guess? I find any PTA film unwatchable. My GF and I turned this one off too. Second in a row. Inherent Vice was such a piece of shit half the audience walked out of many screenings. This boring pile of shit was just as bad. The guy cannot make a movie that’s not zzzzz boring. It’s just safe to say I won’t ever understand what’s so great about this guys crapfest movies. If you want to watch grass grow he’s amazing at it! He’s the best. If good storytelling and something happening in 2 hours is more your cup of tea I would avoid anything he makes. 

Heres my favorite comment from RT because it’s exactly right: “Public Service Announcement: Please, please Save Your Money. Free streaming worthy at best on a snowy Minnesota night in February. Like Seinfeld, it's a show about Nothing. Unlike Seinfeld, it is humorless, possesses no plot, little dramatic tension, inconsistent characters studies and zero entertainment value. It's not a movie, it's an exercise in protracted torture!”

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DameronRoc said:

As late as September 1, 1994, all of the top six grossing films DOM had a score by John Williams.

That's amazing! Even more if you consider the grscores he made for these films.

More amazing data: 8/20 top movies adjusted have a Williams score.

31 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Actually yeah. That is exactly the response...

...if TLJ makes half a cent less than they expected.

I'm sure the folks over at Skywalker Ranch are just dreading that phone call from Disney.  Dreading it, I say.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say again that the dates just didn’t work out.

Look at Coco vs Moana for proof. 

Kids going back back late never helps as much as kids getting holidays quicker.

That must have affected all movies, some more than others of course, but these are shitty dates, no doubt about that.

2 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Just wanted to say again that the dates just didn’t work out.

Look at Coco vs Moana for proof. 

Kids going back back late never helps as much as kids getting holidays quicker.

That must have affected all movies, some more than others of course, but these are shitty dates, no doubt about that.

Jumanjis doing fine

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Last Flag Flying was fantastic.

Phantom Thread, uhh, you guys will love it? I guess? I find any PTA film unwatchable. My GF and I turned this one off too. Second in a row. Inherent Vice was such a piece of shit half the audience walked out of many screenings. This boring pile of shit was just as bad. The guy cannot make a movie that’s not zzzzz boring. It’s just safe to say I won’t ever understand what’s so great about this guys crapfest movies. If you want to watch grass grow he’s amazing at it! He’s the best. If good storytelling and something happening in 2 hours is more your cup of tea I would avoid anything he makes. 

Heres my favorite comment from RT because it’s exactly right: “Public Service Announcement: Please, please Save Your Money. Free streaming worthy at best on a snowy Minnesota night in February. Like Seinfeld, it's a show about Nothing. Unlike Seinfeld, it is humorless, possesses no plot, little dramatic tension, inconsistent characters studies and zero entertainment value. It's not a movie, it's an exercise in protracted torture!”

Finally someone else who can't stand PTA movies. Any time I say that on the forum it's like I've just killed a child. 

I'm looking forward to last flag flying, it comes out here in a couple weeks I think.

• Like 1