the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Just now, Poe Blankeron said:

i hate three billboards because it's racist, not because it's about poor country bumpkins

I hate people who shout "social justice warrior" when anyone calls somebody or something racist, but these accusations levied toward Three Billboards are so asinine they make me relate to those alt-right nutjobs. 

• Disbelief 1

21 minutes ago, slambros said:

Edit: I made this post assuming Justice League had failed to pass Fate of the Furious, and that Justice League still had the tenth spot. The truth, after research, is that Justice League is currently in 8th above Logan (*sniffle*) and Fate of the Furious. But I am still happy that Jumanji will surpass both Justice League and Fate of the Furious.

I apologize for any confusion.

You forgot it will likely bump down Thor Ragnarok featuring Hulk and Spider-Man too:hahaha:

Edited by Kenny

11 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I think there's a subsection of film people that just sneer at anything about poor country bumpkins. Same people that hate I, Tonya hate Three Billboards as well and accuse them both of being fake-deep. Why? Probably because they're comedies at their core. 

cool!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I hate people who shout "social justice warrior" when anyone calls somebody or something racist, but these accusations levied toward Three Billboards are so asinine they make me relate to those alt-right nutjobs. 

if you'd like, i can go in-depth on why I find the film racist, but I'm fairly certain since it involves lengthy spoilers, this wouldn't be the thread to do that in.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

@Poe Blankeron I haven't seen anything in 9 days so no update from me :kitschjob: 

You scum.

Go see COCO again. Help it get over 200M.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, mikee11 said:

OUT OF TOUCH critics almost killed the buzz for this movie. Deserves way better reviews. Like any movie based on real life events is accurate. They review movies on their biases first merit second.

To be fair, I can see why the movie may have been a bit too cliche for critics. You can figure out exactly how everything is going to play out. But the execution is great. 

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

I'm surprised that The Greatest Showman has caught on so strongly. I wonder how high that opening could have gone if Fox had known what a crowd-pleaser they had on their hands and marketed it as such.

It also would have helped if Fox wouldn't have literally tried to push theaters off booking it in exchange for more theaters of Ferdinand.  

They had no idea what they had. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Coco was better than Moana.

I thought Moana was pretty mediocre except for the "Know who you are" scene which I thought was pretty fucking great.

Coco was brilliant all the way through and gave a strong emotional punch, likable characters and a great narrative over all.

11 minutes ago, Poe Blankeron said:

if you'd like, i can go in-depth on why I find the film racist, but I'm fairly certain since it involves lengthy spoilers, this wouldn't be the thread to do that in.

You scum.

Go see COCO again. Help it get over 200M.

Coco isn't playing in my area anymore! :kitschjob: 

• Sad 1

"The critics" aren't really out-of-touch for not being bowled over by The Greatest Showman. Their job is to write what they think about a film, not to align with how they predict the mainstream reaction will play out.

Personally, I was less bothered by the cliches and wholesomeness than I was by the suspicion that there was a large chunk missing from the final cut. Characters and relationships are underdeveloped, which undercuts the effectiveness of the (impressively-staged) musical numbers. It's pretty to look at and gets a long way on the conviction of its actors, but it also feels like it was hacked to pieces in the editing room.

• Like 3

Minus this snowstorm. Very good start for Insidious 4. A fourth entry in a horror franchise dies off completely, and that wasn’t an issue. It’s also awesome to note it an even had a better debut than Chapter 3 which came out in the summer! 

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN is literally a Broadway show shot for the big screen. That comes with the flaws with the medium too and it constantly tries to pull stuff that works totally fine on the stage but at the movies, not so much. Mainly the lack of any character arcs and the bizarrely frequent theater meta-jokes. I would've probably thought it was a fun time if it was a theatrical show, but as a movie, I thought it was super average and I don't remember anything from it a week later besides the Efron/Jackman number.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EmmaPeel said:

Of course it's a financial success. But it's mediocre legs and WOM matter. They mean that it's nowhere near as successful as it could or should've been. That's the issue.

And how successful could have it been?   Below TFA 1.7B?   Matching TFA 2B?   Surpassing TFA to a 2.7B? 

It's relative. I'm willing to see JW2 and Avatar 2 numbers. Seems like if they do not match their predecessors, will be a big disappointment. I guess it's gonna be fun seeing some of your reactions and justifications (i'm not meaning you, just the general "you" in the forum considering TLJ disappointing).

I think someone already made this numbers, but... (not considering re-releases, and numbers are rounded up or down)

dom                      intl.                         ww

E1        431M                   552M                       983M

E2        302M (-30%)        338M (-39%)           640M (-35%)

E3        380M (+26%)       468M (+38%)          848M (+32%)

E4        307M                   314M                       621M

E5        209M (-32%)        248M (-21%)           457M (-26%)

E6        252M (+20%)       165M (-33%)           417M (-8%)

E7        936M                  1131M                    2068M

E8*       555M (-40%)        573M (-49%)         1129M (-45%)     * so far

--------

E8**     630M (-32%)        720M (-36%)         1350M (-35%)     ** my guess

--------

E8***   655M (-30%)        690M (-39%)         1345M (-35%)     *** E1 to E2 drop

E8**** 630M (-32%)        893M (-21%)         1523M (-26%)     **** E4 to E5 drop

Domestically I see it's following a similar trend seen in OT (E4 to E5) and PT (E1 to E2), falling on the -30-32% drop.

Intl. it could end on the -35% drop, what will be on par with PT (E1 to E2). So this ST (sequel trilogy) seems to be performing quite close to the PT both, dom and intl.

So, TLJ track is not anything we haven't seen before, and yet many people here claim it's a failure, a disappointment, it could have made way better numbers ... but E1 also was a huge ww hit in 1999, and the sequel to it, E2 made same percentages TLJ seems to be making after a huge ww hit. So I don't see why they should be alarmed at Disney. 

Making numbers, if it follows E3's trend, E9 could make 825M dom + 952M intl. = 1777M ww (we'll se in a couple of years if the trend continues or if it changes).

20 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Making numbers, if it follows E3's trend, E9 could make 825M dom + 952M intl. = 1777M ww (we'll se in a couple of years if the trend continues or if it changes).

Yeah that's not happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I went looking for it, and the most recent ocurrance of a 2000+ theater opener having a 10x multiplier was Rumor Has It, in 2005 (although, that topped out at 43M DOM). The Sixth Sense, almost 20 years ago, was the 2nd most recent, and Titanic was the 3rd most recent.

Crazy stuff.

EDIT: Actually, Mouse Hunt ties with Titanic for 4th most recent, as both did 10x their openings and were released on the same day. Miss Congeniality is the real 2nd most recent, however, more so than TSS.

• Like 1