the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Peter Jackson did it two times in a row. FOTR was no.1 for four weeks reaching to January 13th 2002, TTT took over as no.1 in December and stayed there until the January 3rd-5th weekend of 2003, with ROTK taking over in December again.

On the Hobbit-trilogy, he always missed out by one weekend.

31 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Hmmm yeah maybe it is more impressive than Wonder Woman but not even close to IT.

IT is incredibly impressive due its budget and R-rating. Otherwise, it had far more hype and a much more palpable nostalgia factor in play. IT on television drew unreal ratings and Pennywise is far more known and much, much more of a draw than anything from Jumanji '95 and Jumanji in general. If Jumanji actually does manage to leg to $350M+, I truly believe Jumanji and Get Out really stand apart as the biggest surprises of '17. Both came out of nowhere whereas IT - in addition to an incredible number of trailer views - had a large following dating back to the uber-popular 2 part television special. And, Wonder Woman isn't just a superhero flick but the first devoted to a female heroine. Mind you, not just any female superhero but the female superhero as Wonder Woman is unrivaled by any other female superhero character... Maybe Catwoman and Harley Quinn are in the same ballpark? Maybe? I personally don't think so though.

Edit - Factor in that adjusted for inflation Jumanji '95 grossed just under $205M DOM and Jumanji '17 becomes even more impressive.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

For me It gets the biggest story of 2017 simply due to the fact that it’s horror.  What it did, box office wise, simply transcended the genre.  

Sure it’s source material is popular but it could have opened big (in the 60-70 range) and finished with 120-140.  Instead it played like a Marvel movie.

Get Out, Wonder Woman, Jumanji all insanely huge and fun to follow but yeah It is just in a league of its own.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The fact that Jumanji's 4th weekend will likely be over Wonder Woman's 4th weekend debunks this a bit, no? Not to mention, even Jumanji's 5-day opening (52.8M) will approach a 7+ multiplier. And, Jumanji's competition is by far the #1 DOM grosser of the year. And, it didn't have access to premium screens due to Disney's 4 week deal with theaters for Star Wars. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Jumanji's 4th weekend is going to fall on MLK Day though, many schools and jobs should have Monday off which helps. 

Still, there's a good argument to be made for Jumanji for sure. But while Jumanji faced all its competition up front, Wonder Woman had to go through week after week of new releases, fighting for theaters, screen count, etc. Combined with the holidays, that would help out in Jumanji's favor by a lot in comparison in regards to legs, especially as we get deeper into the run

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

For me It gets the biggest story of 2017 simply due to the fact that it’s horror.  What it did, box office wise, simply transcended the genre.  

Sure it’s source material is popular but it could have opened big (in the 60-70 range) and finished with 120-140.  Instead it played like a Marvel movie.

Get Out, Wonder Woman, Jumanji all insanely huge and fun to follow but yeah It is just in a league of its own.

All valid points. And, as usual around here, a very good discussion. Refreshing to discuss big successes rather than harp on disappointments and flops too.

Get Out is horror too. Openly cerebral and politicized horror at that. I'm still shocked at how well it did. IT to me is in the vein of Stranger Things whereas Get Out is in the vein of Rosemary's Baby, Being John Malkovich and Manchurian Candidate. Much weirder and wackier for a large audience to embrace as much as the GA did.

Which brings me to what still is arguably the biggest shock in the history of the box office, The Exorcist. I'll never fail to be floored by how much that juggernaut grossed. And, it's not just R-rated, it was nearly X-rated at the time. And, even today, is far more disgusting and repulsive in spurts than anything in IT. IT could almost get by with a PG-13 with some thrifty editing. The Exorcist... Could not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

All valid points. And, as usual around here, a very good discussion. Refreshing to discuss big successes rather than harp on disappointments and flops too.

Get Out is horror too. Openly cerebral and politicized horror at that. I'm still shocked at how well it did. IT to me is in the vein of Stranger Things whereas Get Out is in the vein of Rosemary's Baby, Being John Malkovich and Manchurian Candidate. Much weirder and wackier for a large audience to embrace as much as the GA did.

Which brings me to what still is arguably the biggest shock in the history of the box office, The Exorcist. I'll never fail to be floored by how much that juggernaut grossed. And, it's not just R-rated, it was nearly X-rated at the time. And, even today, is far more disgusting and repulsive in spurts than anything in IT. IT could almost get by with a PG-13 with some thrifty editing. The Exorcist... Could not.

IMHO, the MPAA was much more apt to let a lot go in the 70's compared to today.  I could be wrong of course, but it just seems like there was a lot more gore and horrific scenes in the 70's and 80's.  Granted, you do get films like Saw and Hostel today but a lot of horror today is more jump scare stuff than buckets of blood and practical effects like what you got in films like Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

IMHO, the MPAA was much more apt to let a lot go in the 70's compared to today.  I could be wrong of course, but it just seems like there was a lot more gore and horrific scenes in the 70's and 80's.  Granted, you do get films like Saw and Hostel today but a lot of horror today is more jump scare stuff than buckets of blood and practical effects like what you got in films like Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th.

You'd definitely have much more insight into that than I would, Baumer. Your understanding and relationship with the horror genre and the history of it dwarfs mine by A LOT. That's interesting to know... I do think gore was much more prevalent in the 70s and 80s. And, honestly, some of the early slasher fests are downright disgusting and, at times, border on smut.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

@IronJimbo....so apparently the 20th of December 2020 is the date, let's hope that sticks.  So you'd have to wait until later this year to make your club.

That is my birthday and I'm pretty sure that is a Sunday. Avatar (if it ever comes) would be the 18th

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandomYojimbo said:

I guess I don't find IT's performance surprising. Like...at all.

What was your predict prior to its opening, just curious?

I probably had the highest prediction for IT on the forum and I still ended up underpredicting It by a fair amount.

I love the circle jerking around that happened when Deadline first reported 20M for TLJ.  Saw a lot of experienced posters project under 600M for TLJ.  Never change BOT, you are a mirror of society. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, langer said:

I love the circle jerking around that happened when Deadline first reported 20M for TLJ.  Saw a lot of experienced posters project under 600M for TLJ.  Never change BOT, you are a mirror of society. 

BOT’s always been reactionary, I’m pretty sure people called PP3 and TGS flops after their OW.  Both are going to end up being modest hits.

Just now, langer said:

To play devil's advocate, didn't Jumaji and Insidious out perform Deadline's super early projections far more than Last Jedi? I thought that they had Insidious at just under $22M and Jumanji just under $29M in the same early projection.

2 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

What was your predict prior to its opening, just curious?

I probably had the highest prediction for IT on the forum and I still ended up underpredicting It by a fair amount.

I didn't predict it, I'm terrible at predicting, and I didn't care about the movie. I'm just not surprised by it. It's Stephen King, one of his most popular novels. It had a popular mini-series. And everyone loved the trailer and it had national attention. Yeah, the R-rating it a hurdle, but Deadpool was just the year previous.

So popular source material, good marketing, and I'm not surprised it broke out.

7 minutes ago, langer said:

i don't recall non-trollish and thoughtful sub-600 projections really. under-TA came in vogue in TLJ's 3rd weekend and for good reason. and had TLJ actually done 20m this weekend instead of 23.5, under-TA would have been more likely than not. Right now too it's not looking at much higher than 630.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1