the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

48 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I’m just tracking it next to Rogue One and I would think it can reach $630m. This weekend was 7.5% above R1’s fourth weekend. R1 made $55m rest of the way. 

$55m x 1.075 = $59m plus $572.7m leads to a total of $631.7 million. 

The upcoming set of weekdays will probably determine whether it beats Avengers or not. Supposedly there were more schools out last week compared to previous years. If that's the case, then the drops on the upcoming weekdays could be unusually harsh. RO dropped 56-59% (not counting off the holiday Monday), so that's the ballpark TLJ needs to aim for this week. If it drops into the 60% range then Avengers is probably safe.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

They sold Insidious as a James Wan movie and pushed he was the director of The Conjuring. Considering how popular The Conjuring Universe has become in the last 2 years that might have greatly helped, yes. IT selling 200.000+ tickets plus Jigsaw also selling 90.000+ tickets didn't hurt either.

Insidious: Chapter 2 - 8.707 tickets sold on OW

Insidious: Chapter 3 - 7.245 tickets sold on OW

Insidious: The Last Key - 19.824 tickets sold on OW

How is this even possible man? @MCKillswitch123

My GAWD. James Wan is a God here in the country. And this wasn't even his own directorial effort, but putting his name in the marketing alone was enough to push it to those heights, Jesus Christ. The Nun is gonna do batshit, I presume.

Spoiler

One has to wonder how much would a James Wan Fifty Shades movie do here in Portugal :ph34r:

And the fact that Insidious actually INCREASED on its DOM OW actuals means that this might've been some good reviews away from a 30M+ opening.

Jumanji's run is really incredible no denying that.

But it was mentioned earlier that it's kicking the Last Jedi's ass.   It's akin to a basketball game where the team that's winning was up by 50 and then the losing team went on a run and made it a more "respectable" score.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

My GAWD. James Wan is a God here in the country. And this wasn't even his own directorial effort, but putting his name in the marketing alone was enough to push it to those heights, Jesus Christ. The Nun is gonna do batshit, I presume.

Hide contents

One has to wonder how much would a James Wan Fifty Shades movie do here in Portugal :ph34r:

And the fact that Insidious actually INCREASED on its DOM OW actuals means that this might've been some good reviews away from a 30M+ opening.

The Nun should do really well even tho it opens against Dwayne Da Gawd's Skyscraper and one week before MAMMA MIA!. Insidious was one theater way from cracking the 20.000 tickets sold here. If only they had released it in Forum Montijo (instead they expanded Star Wars to two screens after 4 weeks in theaters in just one screen, genius move :sparta: )

Speaking of Fifty Shades... I am pretty sure at this point The Last Jedi doesn't have enough left in the tank to beat Darker here :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DAR said:

But it was mentioned earlier that it's kicking the Last Jedi's ass.   It's akin to a basketball game where the team that's winning was up by 50 and then the losing team went on a run and made it a more "respectable" score.

I don't see it that way.  Jumanji cost $90M to make and they would have been happy with half of what it's doing. 

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Punishment said:

Jumanji may finish over $400m and TLJ looks like it might finish under The Avengers.  Wow, did not evenly remotely see that coming.

To finish at $400m, Jumanji would need more than a 4x multiplier from last weekend onward. You think it can do that?

Edited by cannastop

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

To finish at $400m, Jumanji would need more than a 4x multiplier from last weekend onward. You think it can do that?

NATM did 3.67x off the same weekend, and Jumanji's holds have consistently been much stronger. It's not locked or anything, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, aabattery said:

NATM did 3.67x off the same weekend, and Jumanji's holds have consistently been much stronger. It's not locked or anything, but it's definitely within the realm of possibility.

Jumanji over Spider-Man ($403,706,375) and becoming Sony's biggest film. :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3

But it was mentioned earlier that it's kicking the Last Jedi's ass. It's akin to a basketball game where the team that's winning was up by 50 and then the losing team went on a run and made it a more "respectable" score.

It was never a competition between those two movies.

Jumanji is doing great despite TLJ.

I would love to hear the phone conversation between Jake Kasden and his father......

And Jumanji is the first thing Sony execs have had to smile about since Spidey Homecoming. Expect an announcement about Jumanji 3 in a few days.....

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

The Nun should do really well even tho it opens against Dwayne Da Gawd's Skyscraper and one week before MAMMA MIA!. Insidious was one theater way from cracking the 20.000 tickets sold here. If only they had released it in Forum Montijo (instead they expanded Star Wars to two screens after 4 weeks in theaters in just one screen, genius move :sparta: )

Speaking of Fifty Shades... I am pretty sure at this point The Last Jedi doesn't have enough left in the tank to beat Darker here :sparta:

That's gonna be fun, the battle of the Gawds (Wan vs Rock). And wait a second...... HOLY SHIT, that explains why Furious 7 was so massive, doesn't it? It wasn't Paul Walker, it actually the Wan/Rock connection:sparta:

Although Skyscraper sounds like a bland mish mash of Die Hard meets Towering Inferno in China. But then again, doesn't that sound exactly like the type of movie that Portuguese audiences enjoy :sparta:

Eek. TLJ barely has anything left in the tank at all, me thinks. It's been beaten all the time by Jumanji, so far. And yeah, that Forum Montijo move was either a Disney bullyjob (typical) or just a fuck up from their part.

• Haha 1