the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

49 minutes ago, stripe said:

Jumanji's success is top3 biggest BO surprises this year, behind IT and Get Out.

You mean last year? I'd say WW's legs were more of a surprise, so far at least (although a couple of posters on here did make some wild but eventually correct predictions).

Crimes of Grindelwald will likely be the third biggest film overseas next year. Fourth is the lowest if Incredibles 2 surprises. 

Worldwide, I think it'll be fifth behind IW, FK, I2, and Black Panther.

• Like 1

@MCKillswitch123 Insidious exploded. One of the most shocking performances I have ever witnessed. It beat the total of the 3rd in 4 days. Absolutely mental. It should do more in total than the 3 previous movies COMBINED.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_4_a_7_janeiro_2018_57915a535a9959fd2.pdf

Jessica Chastain also proves to be a draw. 

• Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Insidious exploded. One of the most shocking performances I have ever witnessed. It beat the total of the 3rd in 4 days. Absolutely mental. It should do more in total than the 3 previous movies COMBINED.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_4_a_7_janeiro_2018_57915a535a9959fd2.pdf

Jessica Chastain also proves to be a draw. 

Image result for gif jessica chastain

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

@IronJimbo....so apparently the 20th of December 2020 is the date, let's hope that sticks.  So you'd have to wait until later this year to make your club.

I wish that was the case! It's later next year I'll have to wait to right.

Jim is pretty confident in this release, an extract from an interview below where he discusses the Avatar release dates.

You've now set the releases for December 2020, 2021, 2024 and 2025. Do you feel like these are finally their real dates?

No, we're good. We got this.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

You mean last year? I'd say WW's legs were more of a surprise, so far at least (although a couple of posters on here did make some wild but eventually correct predictions).

Given Jumanji is likely headed to $350M+ DOM, I'd say its legs are more impressive, no? Maybe even much more impressive. For me, biggest surprises are...

1) Get Out

2) Jumanji

3) It

4) Wonder Woman

Given Jumanji opened on a Wednesday, the fact that Jumanji's opening Wednesday through Sunday multiplier is still going to be superior to Wonder Woman's Friday through Sunday OW pretty much says it all.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

50 minutes ago, baumer said:

@IronJimbo....so apparently the 20th of December 2020 is the date, let's hope that sticks.  So you'd have to wait until later this year to make your club.

20/20?

Sounds like Cameron’s trying to send a message about what he thinks about Avatar 2.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Given Jumanji is likely headed to $350M+ DOM, I'd say its legs are more impressive, no? Maybe even much more impressive. For me, biggest surprises are...

1) Get Out

2) Jumanji

3) It

4) Wonder Woman

No because holiday openers arw always having good holds. Wonder Womans legs are more impressive and IT is more impressive overall.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Has a director ever had two films hitting number 1 in the same year? Spielberg will achieve it with The Post and Ready Player One, I'd like to say Zemeckis has done it but I'm not certain. 

Zemeckis has indeed done it - What Lies Beneath and Castaway both opened to #1 in 2000. Had BTTF 2 opened a week later, it would have had the #1 spot on the first weekend of 1990, the same year BTTF 3 released and got #1. But BTF 2's last #1 spot was 29-31 December 1989.

Spielberg almost got it in 2004 with War of the Worlds and Catch me if you can, but Catch Me only got #2.

Ivan Reitman - apparently Twins' 11th weekend in 1989 it got #1, according to BOM... doesn't seem quite right. But if it is, then 1989 also had Ghostbusters 2.

And as mentioned by someone else, Phil Lord and Chris Miller had Lego Movie and jump street in 2014.

20 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No because holiday openers arw always having good holds. Wonder Womans legs are more impressive and IT is more impressive overall.

The fact that Jumanji's 4th weekend will likely be over Wonder Woman's 4th weekend debunks this a bit, no? Not to mention, even Jumanji's 5-day opening (52.8M) will approach a 7+ multiplier. And, Jumanji's competition is by far the #1 DOM grosser of the year. And, it didn't have access to premium screens due to Disney's 4 week deal with theaters for Star Wars. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The fact that Jumanji's 4th weekend will likely be over Wonder Woman's 4th weekend debunks this a bit, no? Not to mention, even Jumanji's 5-day opening (52.8M) will approach a 7+ multiplier. And, Jumanji's competition is by far the #1 DOM grosser of the year. And, it didn't have access to premium screens due to Disney's 4 week deal with theaters for Star Wars. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Hmmm yeah maybe it is more impressive than Wonder Woman but not even close to IT.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I wish that was the case! It's later next year I'll have to wait to right.

Jim is pretty confident in this release, an extract from an interview below where he discusses the Avatar release dates.

In fact you will have to open your club the day Ep9 opens in december 2019. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tree Billboards said:

Zemeckis has indeed done it - What Lies Beneath and Castaway both opened to #1 in 2000. Had BTTF 2 opened a week later, it would have had the #1 spot on the first weekend of 1990, the same year BTTF 3 released and got #1. But BTF 2's last #1 spot was 29-31 December 1989.

Spielberg almost got it in 2004 with War of the Worlds and Catch me if you can, but Catch Me only got #2.

Ivan Reitman - apparently Twins' 11th weekend in 1989 it got #1, according to BOM... doesn't seem quite right. But if it is, then 1989 also had Ghostbusters 2.

And as mentioned by someone else, Phil Lord and Chris Miller had Lego Movie and jump street in 2014.

Although we have no official data for this, I would assume that Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz would have both been number one at some point in 1939.  Victor Fleming directed both.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Has a director ever had two films hitting number 1 in the same year? Spielberg will achieve it with The Post and Ready Player One, I'd like to say Zemeckis has done it but I'm not certain. 

Didn’t James Wan have Insidious Chapter 2 and The Conjuring in the same year?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Crimes of Grindelwald will likely be the third biggest film overseas next year. Fourth is the lowest if Incredibles 2 surprises. 

Worldwide, I think it'll be fifth behind IW, FK, I2, and Black Panther.

I don’t see Panther that high WW. I don’t know how well China will respond to it.