filmlover

90th Academy Awards nominations

Safest bet for this year Oscar is Best Actor: almost everybody says Gary Oldman probably has it wrapped up.

Most unusual  nominee: Kobe Bryant. He is nominated as a producer for animated short he produced  called "Dear Basketball".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LonePirate said:

While Janney was good in I, Tonya, her performance is almost entirely dependent on the writing. She was given the best lines in the film - lines that could have carried any actress to a nomination for the role. I am certain she will win but I’m hoping Blige or Metcalf pull off the upset. 

The other three acting categories are far less interesting and only slightly less predictable. I am wondering if Streep siphons enough votes from McDormand to let Ronan slip in for the win.

Coco for Animated Feature is the lock of the night after Janney.

Given the Academy’s membership, I think Nolan and Dunkirk have an edge over del Toro and The Shape of Water.

Got news for you :almost all performances are dependent on the writing.

Janney and Oldman seem to be the two locks for the evening.

Upon further reflection, it's sinking in what a big deal it is to see Greta Gerwig and Jordan Peele both nominated in Best Director. Gerwig is just the fifth woman and Peele the fifth black director ever nominated (and four out of those five fell within the last decade), and they both made it for highly unconventional fare - a high school dramedy and a horror-comedy - that usually doesn't make much headway in the major categories. That's a big damn deal.

• Like 4

Three of my top six movies of the year got nominated, plus Dunkirk and Shape which are both hovering around the nine or ten slot. Not a bad year at all. Post, Three Billboards, Call Me By Your Name and even Darkest Hour don't suck, either. Usually there's a crappy one (hellllo Hacksaw Ridge). 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Three of my top six movies of the year got nominated, plus Dunkirk and Shape which are both hovering around the nine or ten slot. Not a bad year at all. Post, Three Billboards, Call Me By Your Name and even Darkest Hour don't suck, either. Usually there's a crappy one (hellllo Hacksaw Ridge). 

No Logan Lucky nom tho ⚰️

• Sad 1

Just now, aabattery said:

No Logan Lucky nom tho ⚰️

It didn't even get mild consideration for a Globe comedy nom or something. Inexplicable. Still in my top six as well.

1. Get Out

2. Blade Runner

3. Phantom Thread?

4. Lady Bird?

5. Star Wars

6. Logan Lucky!!

I am confident about my top two, confident about three through six but not confident about the order, and it's kinda a fall off after that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It didn't even get mild consideration for a Globe comedy nom or something. Inexplicable. Still in my top six as well.

1. Get Out

2. Blade Runner

3. Phantom Thread?

4. Lady Bird?

5. Star Wars

6. Logan Lucky!!

I am confident about my top two, confident about three through six but not confident about the order, and it's kinda a fall off after that.

I haven't seen Lady Bird or Phantom Thread yet but the others are all in my top 10. 

Wow we have good taste.

• Like 1

ranking the best pic nominees

1. Dunkirk

2. Lady Bird

3. Get Out

4. Call Me By Your Name

5. 3Billboards

should see darkest hour, the post and phantom thread all some time in the next week and a half. shape of water still not out here until feb 16th harrumph.

Yea not the only time I've seen that sentiment today. There's definitely a contingent on these very boards that's been saying that for months! Hint: it's the same dudes who were adamant that anything besides Arrival winning last year was a war by the pretentious SJWs. They're also the same dudes who are defending every new person accused in the Weinstein thread. I liked Dunkirk but not doing your movie any favors folks!

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I haven't seen Lady Bird or Phantom Thread yet but the others are all in my top 10. 

Wow we have good taste.

Star Wars is the biggest, both in terms of gross and franchise blockbusterness, to make my top five since....god, gotta be the Dark Knight. Apes is probably ten for me. And Blade Runner number two, even if it flopped! Franchise blockbusters don't have to be bad, which is why we're celebrating with a 2018 that looks like the worst year for blockbusters of modern times!

• Like 1