Eric Duncan

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

I'm honestly not sure what can be done here to really hook audiences like the last? The novelty of WTTJ only works for one movie, you can't do that again with the same cast and expect it to be such a hook. And at the same time you can't really jettison the cast and expect that the same audience will still be interested. So what exactly do they do? Think this will be a very rare case of a sequel to a really well received break out hit dropping off huge. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jumanj3's OW>IX's OW? :thinking: 

:hahaha:Nope.

In all seriousness best case scenario is flat DOM. I personally think like most comedy sequels it will decrease, especially so close to Frozen 2. A $75M/$300M run is my guess.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Does the Rock know something we don’t??

He said “$1 Billion +” worldwide 

It's close enough LOL I don't think he's quite the box-office nerd that we are.

3 Dwayne Johnson Tentpoles a year ?

There s no way he is gonna find time to shoot Jungle Cruise, Hobbs & Shaw & Jumanji 3 and make them ready for a  2019 release, right ?

Madness.

Edited by The Futurist

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

3 Dwayne Johnson Tentpoles a year ?

There s no way he is gonna find time to shoot Jungle Cruise, Hobbs & Shaw & Jumanji 3 and make them ready for a  2019 release, right ?

Madness.

Jungle cruise shoot started may 14, 2018

Has of now:

Jungle Cruise: No release date yet

Hobbs & Shaw : August 2, 2019

Jumanji 3: December 2019

Add I would imagine a really small role / cameo in Fighting with my family (Suicide Squad 2 will not happen form 2019).

Hobbs & Shaw do seem like a big movie to have an august release if they just started to photography in june for Jungle Cruise, but they can 10 month for that one and 10 month for jumanji 3 and make it fit I think.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm honestly not sure what can be done here to really hook audiences like the last? The novelty of WTTJ only works for one movie, you can't do that again with the same cast and expect it to be such a hook. And at the same time you can't really jettison the cast and expect that the same audience will still be interested. So what exactly do they do? Think this will be a very rare case of a sequel to a really well received break out hit dropping off huge. 

Agreed, I liked jumanji 2 , if we can call it that, a lot , it was a lovely movie but I just don’t see how a sequel can work and have the same charm and freshness. I really don’t think that it needs a sequel but of course we are going to have one for an almost one billion movie, esp. from a desperate studio like Sony Columbia.

I just want to say that the previous film had a five year development and started filming more than a year before release.

On the other hand, this only just started active development back in February, and won't begin filming until early next year, February at the earliest (Dwayne is shooting Hobbs & Shaw until Jan, Kevin Hart is gonna try to do a remake of Uptown Saturday Night sometime before then, and Jack Black and Karen Gillan could also have other projects to do around them). 

So if Sony really wants to make that December date, they're basically gonna have to rush filming and have even less time for post production (which, correct me if I'm wrong, equals an increased budget).

Also, I find it a bit interesting how they're releasing it a week before IX despite the last one doing well opening after Last Jedi. But I won't delve much into that.

Also, I find it a bit interesting how they're releasing it a week before IX despite the last one doing well opening after Last Jedi. But I won't delve much into that.

Because SW has taken the weekend before Christmas spot. There is really no were else to put Jumanji if they wanted a December release.
Besides, Jumanji 2 made a significant amount of money in January.

4 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Agreed, I liked jumanji 2 , if we can call it that, a lot , it was a lovely movie but I just don’t see how a sequel can work and have the same charm and freshness. I really don’t think that it needs a sequel but of course we are going to have one for an almost one billion movie, esp. from a desperate studio like Sony Columbia.

Well the original didn’t really need a sequel and this one turned out entertaining! 

I think it was made with making another few films in mind.