Eric Prime

The Kitchen l August 9, 2019 | New Line l Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish star l Based on the Vertigo comic book series

Bit of a bummer, McCarthy's a great dramatic actor when given the right material. I guess I should have seen the signs between the low theatre count, the late-embargo and the lack of Thursday screenings.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Oof. Seems like the review embargo date is a more accurate sign of critical reception for WB movies than movies from other studios (could mean a good thing for Joker).

Where they not know to be one of the least reliable on this not so long ago, with MadMax, It & Wonder Woman for example getting extremely late embargo lift.

Or it is just one way around, a late embargo from WB does not mean the movie will likely get bad reviews but an early one is usually a very good sign ?

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Oof. Seems like the review embargo date is a more accurate sign of critical reception for WB movies than movies from other studios (could mean a good thing for Joker).

like how FB2 got amazing reviews because of the early embargo lift.

I see late/early embargo drops happening all the time regardless of the quality of the movies. 

On 8/7/2019 at 11:18 PM, Krissykins said:

18% is surprising, but yeh it makes sense now with everything else. 

Yeah I really misjudged this one. I thought it would break out. I guess nobody has seen it yet given there were no Thursday previews. Anyone who sees it tonight should give their personal thoughts. I'll be seeing it Sunday.

I actually loved the movie. The dialogue is expected given its a comic book property. The movie is violent and gruesome which I wasn’t expecting. I went in with low expectations, since I didn’t like the trailers... but some of the twists in the movie caught me by surprise.  I’m not sure why the RT score is so low, but I can see some men not liking it as well as some feminists... as there isn’t any likable characters in the movie. Which I think is the point.

11 minutes ago, YLF said:

I actually loved the movie. The dialogue is expected given its a comic book property. The movie is violent and gruesome which I wasn’t expecting. I went in with low expectations, since I didn’t like the trailers... but some of the twists in the movie caught me by surprise.  I’m not sure why the RT score is so low, but I can see some men not liking it as well as some feminists... as there isn’t any likable characters in the movie. Which I think is the point.

I'm glad you liked it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Why couldn't they just name this movie, "Hell's Kitchen"?

"Hey, friends and family, it's time to drive thirty minutes to the closest movie theater to see the new Chef Gordon Ramsay movie!"

Edited by SLAM!
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Why couldn't they just name this movie, "Hell's Kitchen"?

The Kitchen is a completely generic title but still not nearly as bad as The Watch, the title of the doomed Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn/Jonah Hill alien invasion comedy installed at the 11th hour after the original title of Neighborhood Watch had to be changed in light of Trayvon Martin's murder.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Kitchen is a completely generic title but still not nearly as bad as The Watch, the title of the doomed Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn/Jonah Hill alien invasion comedy installed at the 11th hour after the original title of Neighborhood Watch had to be changed in light of Trayvon Martin's murder.

Huh, I never knew that film was meant to be called Neighbourhood Watch. That's a bit strange though given the film was released 5 months after Trayvon Martin was shot? (i know it was still in news stories, was abig story for a long time)

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Huh, I never knew that film was meant to be called Neighbourhood Watch. That's a bit strange though given the film was released 5 months after Trayvon Martin was shot? (i know it was still in news stories, was abig story for a long time)

Marketing would have started how many months after the incident, if the release was 5 month after ?