That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 minute ago, vc2002 said:

Well that's not much different than "the biggest Marvel film", since DC isn't much of a competing gamer right now.:jeb!:

Well, right now it is true, but TA is from the same year than TDKR, which was vey big. And TDK was even bigger and is from the same year than the first films of MCU.

But yes, to talk right now about SH is to talk about Marvel.

I'm shocked.  It's great to see the box office explode like this and if you look at it, the box office has been red hot since December 15th.  Star Wars and Jumanji and the Greatest Showman did huge business and while Star Wars was expected to, the other two weren't, at least not at the level they are.  Then you had Pitch Perfect doing much better than most thought it would.  Insidious is going to make close to 70 million and then you had two nice smaller budgeted films doing fairly well in 12 Strong and Den of Thieves.  Then 50 Shades and Peter Rabbit come along and both have a shot at 100 million.  50 Shades is going to come close to the world wide box office of Freed and now you have this absolute eruption this weekend.

Black Panther is doing better than anyone thought it would.  And what an amazing story.  It's not all about it being the first gigantic film that features a mostly black cast, to me, it's the fact that Marvel can continue doing this 10 years later.  There's no other story like this in box office history.  Star Wars can be in the same conversation of course, but when Marvel released Iron Man in 2008, no one could predict that 10 years later, they would still be dominating the box office the way they are.  Iron Man wasn't even a very well known super hero at the time, and Black Panther, well, as a non comic book guy, I'd never really heard of him.  In 2008, I knew of DC comics and their stable of heroes because of Super Friends, the cartoon I watched as a kid.  I knew of Thor because of Adventures in Babysitting.  Everyone knew of Spider-man of course but that was the extent of my knowledge of Marvel.  

Now here we are in 2018 and Black Panther, a character introduced to the film world just a couple of years ago, has just become the 4th film to open to 200 million.  And this is the first film in the series.  And it's not even a team up film.  There's no Iron Man, no Hulk, it's just Panther to carry to load!  Yes, he was introduced in Civil War but to open to 200 million in the first film, regardless of it being a Marvel property, is just insanely incredible.  In fact, if you look at the top 20 opening weekends of all time, there are two other films in there that are original films.  I count Beauty and the Beast even though it's a remake, it' still a live action original.  The other is Hunger Games.  So in the top 20, you have three films that are original.  And if you want to eliminate BatB,then you are left with Hunger Games and Black Panther.  But BP has done something really special.  200 million opening weekend is mind blowing.  

The box office is different now than it was even 5 years ago and you can talk about the gap getting even further and further apart for the haves and have nots, but that is a topic for another time.  Right now, in the middle of February we just had a film destroy pretty much every February record conceivable.  I love witnessing box office history and this is certainly it.  I'm also really excited and curious to see how IW does.  This is going to be a fun year at the box office.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm shocked.  It's great to see the box office explode like this and if you look at it, the box office has been red hot since December 15th.  Star Wars and Jumanji and the Greatest Showman did huge business and while Star Wars was expected to, the other two weren't, at least not at the level they are.  Then you had Pitch Perfect doing much better than most thought it would.  Insidious is going to make close to 70 million and then you had two nice smaller budgeted films doing fairly well in 12 Strong and Den of Thieves.  Then 50 Shades and Peter Rabbit come along and both have a shot at 100 million.  50 Shades is going to come close to the world wide box office of Freed and now you have this absolute eruption this weekend.

Black Panther is doing better than anyone thought it would.  And what an amazing story.  It's not all about it being the first gigantic film that features a mostly black cast, to me, it's the fact that Marvel can continue doing this 10 years later.  There's no other story like this in box office history.  Star Wars can be in the same conversation of course, but when Marvel released Iron Man in 2008, no one could predict that 10 years later, they would still be dominating the box office the way they are.  Iron Man wasn't even a very well known super hero at the time, and Black Panther, well, as a non comic book guy, I'd never really heard of him.  In 2008, I knew of DC comics and their stable of heroes because of Super Friends, the cartoon I watched as a kid.  I knew of Thor because of Adventures in Babysitting.  Everyone knew of Spider-man of course but that was the extent of my knowledge of Marvel.  

Now here we are in 2018 and Black Panther, a character introduced to the film world just a couple of years ago, has just become the 4th film to open to 200 million.  And this is the first film in the series.  And it's not even a team up film.  There's no Iron Man, no Hulk, it's just Panther to carry to load!  Yes, he was introduced in Civil War but to open to 200 million in the first film, regardless of it being a Marvel property, is just insanely incredible.  In fact, if you look at the top 20 opening weekends of all time, there are two other films in there that are original films.  I count Beauty and the Beast even though it's a remake, it' still a live action original.  The other is Hunger Games.  So in the top 20, you have three films that are original.  And if you want to eliminate BatB,then you are left with Hunger Games and Black Panther.  But BP has done something really special.  200 million opening weekend is mind blowing.  

The box office is different now than it was even 5 years ago and you can talk about the gap getting even further and further apart for the haves and have nots, but that is a topic for another time.  Right now, in the middle of February we just had a film destroy pretty much every February record conceivable.  I love witnessing box office history and this is certainly it.  I'm also really excited and curious to see how IW does.  This is going to be a fun year at the box office.

Unfortunately, March is right around the corner where there's a chance nothing makes 100M :gold: 

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

So about 20-25% of the black population in the United States saw this film on OW. Insane.

Based off the OW demos it should actually be something like 18.9%, but that’s still a lot (given even with something like TFA, less than a third of the overall population actually saw it in theaters)

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

Great post, but I don't think you understand what an original film is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, peludo said:

Well, right now it is true, but TA is from the same year than TDKR, which was vey big. And TDK was even bigger and is from the same year than the first films of MCU.

But yes, to talk right now about SH is to talk about Marvel.

I dont really follow comics but I think Nolan's batman films don't belong to DCEU, do they?

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A Wrinkle in Time and Love, Simon will do it.

You’re half right. Time should easily clear $100M. Simon will be lucky to reach $40M total. Unless there is some hidden and massive teenage audience eager to see it, Simon will not be breaking out.