Alli

Weekend Thread | Estimates per BOM ~ BP 65.7M, RS 17M, DW 13M, GN 10.7M, PR 10M, ANL 5.65M, J:WTTJ 4.5M, FSF 3.3M, TGS 2.68M

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Death Wish budget $30M

Red Sparrow budget $69M

(Both from BOM)

This will be the 1st weekend since 2017 that the wide openers might be "iffy" for breaking even...it's been a very good run for the mid-openers so far in 2018 - we'll see if the weekend picks up and can help them both keep the streak going...

I haven't been following the production closely, but why on earth did RED SPARROW cost 70m?

• Like 1

Good early news for Red Sparrow - my Atom selling theater (the one that could use this week's T-Mobile deal), has already taken 2 late night showings from Black Panther and reassigned them to Red Sparrow this morning (so it's single screen now gets 3 10pm hour showings vs the 1 scheduled)...the movie has already virtually sold out its 7pm hour showing, as well...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I haven't been following the production closely, but why on earth did RED SPARROW cost 70m?

I'm guessing it has to do with extensive location shoots in Budapest, Hungary. Plus I think a good chunk of the budget went into the coffers of JLaw and Francis Lawrence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Probably not the best given it was facing a hurricane that day.

Yeah. There's weather on the east coast now, but it isn't a hurricane.

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

:wintf:

Ghost in the shell was uber frontloaded...(it had worse legs than mother!) and Atomic Blonde was a summer release. Next.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, The Mad Panda said:

Decent start, I think the mixed reviews killed its potential.

I think it will do well overseas.  So far all I know is that it opened #1 in Italy, though.

50 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Red Sparrow Aud RT starts off rotten

AUDIENCE SCORE 

Average Rating: 3.4/5
User Ratings: 2,940

People who actually call themselves 'Trumpers' are actively agitating against the movie. And for DW for that matter, although I don't know, the people who went to see it to begin with might like it.  The RT audience score is an easy target, with no requirement of actually seeing the movie.

48 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Thats an aggressive Sunday hold given the Oscars are this weekend. I think 21m (or under) is more likely given the WOM that already seems weak.

Jen is attending the Oscars as well - which she didn't do last year.  I know it means I'll be watching (at least the red carpet) when I wouldn't have otherwise.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

I'm guessing it has to do with extensive location shoots in Budapest, Hungary. Plus I think a good chunk of the budget went into the coffers of JLaw and Francis Lawrence.

I don't think it's expensive to shoot there, comparatively. Second sentence seems likely.

• Like 1

Just now, Telehilation said:

Seems like someone was really optimistic. CHILD 44 cost a bit over 50m, I think. ATOMIC BLONDE was around 30m.

Let's be honest: the most baffling movie budget ever will always be the $120M spent on How Do You Know ($50M of which was reportedly spent on salaries but where the hell did the other $70M go?).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trifle said:

Yeah. There's weather on the east coast now, but it isn't a hurricane.

Yeah, it's more like a tropical storm (although 70 MPH gusts are no joke)...but my family is letting me know 400K folks are already without power in their area, so it could have the effects of a hurricane on box office...although they also said every school is closed, so it's pretty much are you crazy enough to go out b/c your kids are bored or are you hunkering down...not sure what happens to box office in those situations...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

Seems like someone was really optimistic. CHILD 44 cost a bit over 50m, I think. ATOMIC BLONDE was around 30m.

I think this movie was aimed at least as much at overseas take as domestic, but they may have been optimistic.  We'll find out.  I'd like sequels, I think (I'll see it today. I missed my time last night.)

I suspect a lot of what Jen was going to get was in the back end, though... That is how it was for both Mockingjay movies, and that was the time frame when she was negotiating this.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Let's be honest: the most baffling movie budget ever will always be the $120M spent on How Do You Know ($50M of which was reportedly spent on salaries but where the hell did the other $70M go?).

Supposedly James L. Brooks did a lot of reshoots and reworking in post-production hence why it cost that much outside the salaries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I don't think it's expensive to shoot there, comparatively. Second sentence seems likely.

A lot of movies shoot in Eastern Europe precisely because it's cheaper to film there.

I think Red Sparrow will do generously well OS; 69M (LMAO) doesn't seem like a super difficult target to at least double, albeit tripling it for that break even point probably isn't as easily achievable, but not impossible either.

Anyway, I would laugh my ass off if Game Night went over Death Wish this weekend. And I kinda want it to happen, cause Eli Roth sucks and cause Death Wish is making gun enthusiasts jerking off. (Tbh, I'm not against fair discussion of the theme of vigilantism, since I also happen to think that law and justice as we know it sometimes is not enough to really punish criminals; but not in a movie that, if what has been said here is true, is straight up pushing an evil agenda.) It's unlikely that happens, though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think Red Sparrow will do generously well OS; 69M (LMAO) doesn't seem like a super difficult target to at least double, albeit tripling it for that break even point probably isn't as easily achievable, but not impossible either.

triple budget for break even seems like a number people use when they want a film to seem unsuccessful.  I thought it was the low 2's for averaging, and reality was more income stream specific - not that we are ever likely to know that.

But yeah, it looks like Red Sparrow has started better than some were expecting, even in the US, so I'm just hoping it does well enough for a sequel, or two (there are two more books).

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

The original Death Wish was a reflection of its time though where crime was increasing rapidly in urban centres and governments did nothing to fix the problem and people got drawn by extreme solutions and vigilantism. 

So while the 1974 films is not a classic in terms of a great film it was a very popular and influential film of its era. 

Crime in 2018 is nowhere near as bad in the Urban United States as in the 70s to early 90s apart from mass shootings. 

Cities like LA and NYC used to have thousands of murders a year. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

18 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

JLaw's a bit more expensive than either of the other leads but yeah this shouldn't have been more than $40-50m

(and CHILD 44 maybe $5m)

• Like 1