Alli

Weekend Thread | Estimates per BOM ~ BP 65.7M, RS 17M, DW 13M, GN 10.7M, PR 10M, ANL 5.65M, J:WTTJ 4.5M, FSF 3.3M, TGS 2.68M

47 minutes ago, Alli said:

Game Night made 1M in previews on its way to 17M weekend. I think RS is for sure making 20M

Thing is, Game Night, being an original comedy w/strong wom, got to leg it up to a 17 result as it was heavily walk-up driven

Red Sparrow is completely different in tone, on the other hand, as it's a slow paced, violent, hard-R spy thriller. And it could turn out kinda frontloaded by comparison, since 1) Jennifer Lawrence, 2) slower pace and 3) mixed wom. That's the reason why 18 seems to be a good projection for now. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if it made 20.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

I've seen people saying Red Sparrow opened number 1 in Germany and Italy, but I can't find any source. Maybe it was on their local news.

I wonder how it will do in Russia  -- particularly opening the same time as Infinity War.... <_<, at least that is what I've heard..

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Death Wish budget $30M

Red Sparrow budget $69M

(Both from BOM)]

dont know what everyone's o n about, these are nice budgets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, trifle said:

I've seen people saying Red Sparrow opened number 1 in Germany and Italy, but I can't find any source. Maybe it was on their local news.

I wonder how it will do in Russia  -- particularly opening the same time as Infinity War.... <_<, at least that is what I've heard..

It's true for Italy. I have not found a source for germany yet

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

So if it follows past Deadline trajectory BP is going to climb to a ludicrous number like $80m or something.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

41 minutes ago, trifle said:

Russia it opens on May 31st, Avengers 3 opens on May 3rd.

• Like 1

Ok for Red Sparrow but much lower for Death Wish than I thought, hmm.

Red Sparrow will become #2 or 3 in Germany. In the first trend it`s narrowly #3 with projected 155k admissions OW behind Fifty Shades Freed. Black Panther will very probably win here with ca. 200k thanks to an again good hold.
Edit: In several Friday reports from insidekino.de Fifty Shades and Red Sparrow are in front of BP but not in all. Could become a closer race.

Edited by el sid

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Let's be honest: the most baffling movie budget ever will always be the $120M spent on How Do You Know ($50M of which was reportedly spent on salaries but where the hell did the other $70M go?).

When I was covering budgets for supernatural horror movies, I noticed What Lies Beneath and Lost Souls from 18 years ago had huge budgets.  $100 for What Lies Beneath and $50 for Lost Souls.  Sifting through 2000, even Lucky Numbers cost $63, Get Carter $64, Bless the Child $65, Almost Famous $60, and Bait $51.  Alot of those films cost over twice what they would now...

• Like 2

Last year, the Oscars were a bore and received poor ratings.  La La Land was front and center.  Mostly all the movies performed better on Sunday than Friday.  Even Fifty Shades Darker dropped under 50%.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2017-02-26&p=.htm

This year, the wealth has been spread out amongst all nominees and I believe every category except for Animated Feature is up for grabs.  I expect Black Panther to drop 33% this time, not 25%.  Also, look for Fifty Shades Freed to drop about 50% and for all drops to be similar to the year before (Mad Max vs Revenant vs Big Short vs Spotlight)  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2016-02-26&p=.htm

• Like 1