Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

1 minute ago, baumer said:

True. It can be done but Hollywood doesn't care about tickets sold. They only want us to know how much a film makes in dollars. So we will never have definitive numbers.

I wonder if this is why the Swedish cinemas don't want to publish the tickets sold anymore too. I might need to look further into it.

• Like 3

Teen movies have to have amazing buzz to make more than 25mil so I doubt it. Tomb Raider is going to have a tough time hitting that number as well but usually action films open better than high school teen films. I hope Love, Simon and Tomb Raider do well because this month is looking pretty dang boring overall. 

2 hours ago, Alli said:

i don't think mother will age well.  i liked it at first, but i don't know....now it kinda feels like the metaphor was trashy and cheap .

gotta wonder if aronofsky was grumpy after he saw phantom thread and he knew PTA had done the "difficulties of being married to an artist" shtick way better without the need for all that extra flash. no wonder jlaw couldn't watch it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Man I sincerely cant fathom that Spider-Man 1's solo debut mark adjusted for inflation is going down. That was the holy grail of superhero movie records....

Speaking of superhero movies, shows how much I've been following boxoffice lately, I honestly thought Justice League had made over $300m domestic.  I just saw the actual total scrolling down the weekend chart on BOM and had to do a double take.  WTF. 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

So what are the chances Disney eeks out another 270mil before Infinity War?

Not good, since AWIT is going to underperform at the box office.and the "billion before IW opens" had AWIT as a big hit as a basic precondition for happening.

41 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Man I sincerely cant fathom that Spider-Man 1's solo debut mark adjusted for inflation is going down. That was the holy grail of superhero movie records....

Depends on which formula for adjusting for inflatation you use;there are several. This is why in the  "Most popular movies adjusted for inflation lists" you have a lot of differences after the top 5 or 6.

3 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

it feels like being a forum poster is almost not worth it because you just have to be a slave/robot for society to see and not feel emotion from (**not generate emotion).  Like this opinion for example would have to be edited and censored.

OH, we are so impressed on how daring you are and how you are sticking it to The Man with your defiance.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Depends on which formula for adjusting for inflatation you use;there are several. This is why in the  "Most popular movies adjusted for inflation lists" you have a lot of differences after the top 5 or 6.

regardless of formula, this is going to end up  30-40m ahead.

4 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Zilch. They’d be lucky to get another 60 from Wrinkle and 140 from Panther, which is not even close. Even a crazy optimistic 80 from Wrinkle and 180 from Panther (over 750 finish, lol) still falls short.

Edited by Sliver Legion

4 hours ago, Jim Shorts said:

Speaking of superhero movies, shows how much I've been following boxoffice lately, I honestly thought Justice League had made over $300m domestic.  I just saw the actual total scrolling down the weekend chart on BOM and had to do a double take.  WTF. 

must look like they accidentally swapped jumanji and justice league

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

None I would think. BP and WIT could add around 200 more combined. Why 270 more...studio record?

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

None I would think. BP and WIT could add around 200 more combined. Why 270 more...studio record?

To get Disney to 1B before IW, presumably. Instead they’ll have to settle for making it on opening Fri or Sat, which will still beat the previous record for fastest to 1B by about 10 days (and make the only times it has been done in under 150 days Disney 2016, Disney 2017, and Disney 2018).