CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Ya'll are wondering about @baumer's opinion. Meanwhile I'm over here waiting for @Trolltastic Teleto come into this thread and tell us all about how Infinity War isn't all that good because of sky beams. Marvel this Marvel that. And then conclude by telling us that BvS was better :ph34r:

Based on his taste... I'd be shocked if he likes it. Doesn't seem like his kind of jam.

What a beautiful summer-like day here in Toronto to kick off the summer movie season. It's 15 degrees and the sun is shining and there is a slight Cool Breeze and I am in shorts and a t-shirt and I am heading to Infinity War right now.

• Like 2

Range hasn't "gone up", it's just shrunk down to where the low end ain't likely to happen now. Still, whatever ends up being it is a HUUUUUGE number, all things considered. And if it makes 45, OW record is likely to go down, as superhero movies (especially Marvel ones) tend to have much more backloaded IM's than Star Wars movies have had so far (but then again, no superhero movie has ever had as much as 40M on previews alone, so this is uncharted territory).

Some internal multipliers from other Infinity War potential comparables for a 40M Thursday:

AGE OF ULTRON MULTI - 40 + 82.5 real Fri (106.2% increase) + 82.1 Sat (33% drop from 122.5 OD) + 73.1 Sun (11% drop) = 277.7

BATMAN V SUPERMAN MULTI - 40 + 77.8 real Fri (94.6% increase) + 73.2 Sat (37.9% drop from 117.8 OD) + 48.8 Sun (33.3% drop) = 239.8

CIVIL WAR MULTI - 40 + 80.8 real Fri (102% increase) + 98 Sat (18.9% drop from 120.8 OD) + 67.9 Sun (30.7% drop) = 286.7

DARK KNIGHT RISES MULTI - 40 + 59 real Fri (47.7% increase) + 58.8 Sat (40.7% drop from 99.1 OD) + 52.9 Sun (10.1% drop) = 210.7

A TDKR multi sounds awfully pessimistic, and unrealistic given that the Aurora tragedy haunted that movie badly on OW, but that is the only superhero film that opened over 30 on Thursdays, so I had to use it. And even on that scenario - a damn near worst case scenario - IW still winds up as the #1 superhero film opening and #3 opening of all time :ohmygod:

Safe to say that the Ultron and Civil War multis are also preposterous, though (and I didn't use Black Panther as that wasn't a sequel btw), so imo the BVS multi is probably the closer to what reality will look like. And I still find it a bit of a lowball, as I think IW will have a softer Saturday drop than nearly 40% (remember, BVS came in with really poor wom out of a 80+ holiday Friday).

Just now, baumer said:

What a beautiful summer-like day here in Toronto to kick off the summer movie season. It's 15 degrees and the sun is shining and there is a slight Cool Breeze and I am in shorts and a t-shirt and I am heading to Infinity War right now.

I forgot that everyone else uses the Celsius scale so I was wondering why you were in shorts and a T-shirt in 15 degree weather 

:winomg:

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol should not have gone on YouTube because there's an IW spoiler being recommended to me :winomg: 

Was probably the same video as with me. Dont say i havent warned you :redcapes:

Edited by Brainbug

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol should not have gone on YouTube because there's an IW spoiler being recommended to me :winomg: 

Somebody got recently banned for a week due to a commentary like this ... (you may wanna edit before moderators find out) :ph34r:

Edited by meriodejaneiro

1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Somebody got recently banned for a week due to a commentary like this ... (you may wanna edit before moderators find out) :ph34r:

I did and I don't know why everyone is still quoting that word :ohmygod: 

• Haha 1

All marvel movies did 7x previews or better.

BvS did 5.99x previews

But that was a semi holiday Friday so we should expect better Thursday attendance relative to the weekend.

Suicide squad 6.5x but that was August

Even justice league did over 7x

If IW does 40+ it seems like 240+ is a strong bet

• Like 1