CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, That Ambitious Guy said:

Pretty hilarious how my 228M prediction was considered low for a while and look at where it is.

I commend you, you stuck to your gut and will reap the rewards.  I caved and went just under TFA’s OW.  Won’t kill my Summer game, I think it should still net some points.

Im just hoping I was right to stick with my instinct and put I2 DOM over IW for it.

• Like 2

It had 10 years of build up...while that's not quite Star Wars level hype, it's definitely not normal supers-level hype, either...so having the presales end up making it fall between supers and Star Wars OW figures shouldn't be a big surprise...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 7

Lowballs all around for early numbers.  Matinees are still closing out on the EC, late-night updates will be more telling.

I see no reason for demand-level to not be at record or near-record pace for this - Friday's not going to be 56M.

3 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I commend you, you stuck to your gut and will reap the rewards.  I caved and went just under TFA’s OW.  Won’t kill my Summer game, I think it should still net some points.

Im just hoping I was right to stick with my instinct and put I2 DOM over IW for it.

The only question is if it gets a 2.1x like I predicted.  If I did, holyyy shit will my summer game benefit.

Now I just need Jurassic Word to get to 500M

Why would anyone assume that a movie with such gigantic presales and sellouts would have walk-ups? Unless theaters add more showtimes, where are the walk-ups supposed to go? Sit in the aisles? 

I said that IW had a roof in the over $300M club because of showtimes....that's not changing. So unless more showtimes get added, there's going to be a max of what this movie can do. 

• Like 3

one of the multiple ways it misses 225 with strong sat and sun holds:

59 [98; 2.5x previews]

68 (+15.25%) [166]

58 (-14.70%) [224]

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Guys... Disney is calling it $225mm for the weekend...

On the comparable Friday afternoon Disney called Black Panther $172-198mm for the FOUR day, and it ended up being $242mm, or 20+% above the high end of their range. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4370

Studios are conservative. Disney's prediction should most properly be thought of as the lower end of realistic. Let's not say die just yet to something quite a bit closer to TFA. If Disney says $225mm realistic is probably closer to $240mm right now.

6 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Lowballs all around for early numbers.  Matinees are still closing out on the EC, late-night updates will be more telling.

I see no reason for demand-level to not be at record or near-record pace for this - Friday's not going to be 56M.

You're right, it's gonna be $61.31M:)...

But seriously, when Deadline is making those predicts, they already know all the prime time sellouts for tonight at reserved places (and probably are assuming the same at non-reserved ones)...so to go higher, there need to be better west coast matinees than east coast (b/c they are probably assuming the same sales on both coasts for these shows, which are not sellouts) or added nightly showings either by stealing shows (which is gonna be hard b/c AIW got so many dedicated screens already at theaters) or going late night...last night, theaters didn't really go much late night...we'll see if they change their minds tonight...

Edited by TwoMisfits

12 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

He also said the OW record was a near lock and 300m was definitely in play.

He never said $300m was in play like it was going to get it.  He was stating that it is possible to get with the amount of theaters and screens available right now.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Deep Wang said:

He never said $300 was in play like it was going to get it.  He was stating that it is possible to get with the amount of theaters and screens available right now.

I think my theatre in rural england has made that much already

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

The only question is if it gets a 2.1x like I predicted.  If I did, holyyy shit will my summer game benefit.

Now I just need Jurassic Word to get to 500M

Im partially rooting for IW not to be #1 of the summer because it’s always funny when the consensus choice for #1 turns out wrong.

Oddly enough that’s been the case since 2014. 

2017: Most had GOTG2 at #1 (WW won)

2016: Most had Civil War at #1 (Dory won)

2015: Most had Age of Ultron at #1 (JW won)

2014: Most had one of HTTYD2/Transformers/TASM2/DOFP at #1 (GOTG won)

• Like 5