CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Disney’s official weekend estimate will be $247.95m. 

You jest, but I have been thinking for an hour: what if it's a tie?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

How many third movies break the OW record?

It's not easy to do.

Umm..off the top of my head.  Spider Man 3, Batman Forever. Can't think of any others. Did ROTJ do it?

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Is 600 million a done deal if the opening is 250M? The reception to this movie makes me think it shouldn't have legs equal to or lower than AOU, despite the monster opening. 2.5x seems right. 

Probably not 100%, but close. It only needs a 2.4x off 250m, and with this wom it’ll PROBABLY get there, but its not locked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Umm..off the top of my head.  Spider Man 3, Batman Forever. Can't think of any others. Did ROTJ do it?

TBF, it gets harder to break the OW record as time goes on.

and SM3 stayed flat from the true Friday to Saturday.

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Phase 3's quality is not getting enough credit.

It played a huge factor.

After ~8 years of bad villains, the last few MCU movies have all had excellent villains. Hela, Vulture, Killmonger and now Thanos have all been superb, and in completely different ways.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Is 600 million a done deal if the opening is 250M? The reception to this movie makes me think it shouldn't have legs equal to or lower than AOU, despite the monster opening. 2.5x seems right. 

I know the common credo is the bigger the opening the shorter the legs, especially for sequels.  But it gets to the point when an opening is so huge it kind of carries it's own momentum.  It becomes an event and a must see for those that might have not bothered and repeat business kicks in.   Also, that this movie is in line to do a 6.4 multi off a $39m opening might indicate it's going to have better than expected legs.   But who knows, it could fall off a cliff. :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sam said:

Yall can drag other stuff. But I won’t stand for slandering of Ultron, who is easily top-tier MCU villain.

@Chewy look at all these misguided folks.

Ppl complaining about the best parts of the Marvel movies, never fails

• Like 2

Just now, Wrath said:

After ~9 years of bad villains, the last few MCU movies have all had excellent villains. Hela, Vulture, Killmonger and now Thanos have all been superb, and in completely different ways.

I wouldn't say the villains have been bad (especially compared to the recent CBM villains of other franchises) except for Whiplash and Malaketh but they've certainly upped their game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wrath said:

After ~8 years of bad villains, the last few MCU movies have all had excellent villains. Hela, Vulture, Killmonger and now Thanos have all been superb, and in completely different ways.

Not to mention the majority of them in the 90's on RT and all of them above 80%.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wrath said:

And Ego.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I know the common credo is the bigger the opening the shorter the legs, especially for sequels.  But it gets to the point when an opening is so huge it kind of carries it's own momentum.  It becomes an event and a must see for those that might have not bothered and repeat business kicks in.   Also, that this movie is in line to do a 6.4 multi off a $39m opening might indicate it's going to have better than expected legs.   But who knows, it could fall off a cliff. :lol:

You are absolutely right. Films that break the OW record tend to hold better than your average mega-opener. This was the case with the original Avengers, Jurassic World and The Force Awakens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

Okay, I'll give you that. But stuff like "I should have joined you in the shower" made me want to die. Considering what's come to light of Whedon since that movie, it seems obvious he doesn't really understand romancing women.

Whedon is a ginger nerd who got picked on so much in high school he made a whole tv show about high school is hell. Of course he doesn't 'get' women. His self insert on the series made out with every female character except the lead, the lesbian (no, the other one) and the 15 year old (he waited for the comics to do that one.) 

Didn't need his wife to expose him to figure out the bolded text.:Venom:

Edited by eddyxx
  • Thanks 1