CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

How on target were Deadline's early projections for Cap 3 and Ultron, anyway?  They spectacularly undersold Black Panther consistently, but that could just be them not accounting for the zeitgeist correctly.

Basically, how likely is it Deadline is really underestimating IW here and it could rise as numbers come in.

20 hours ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

BP was a black swan event. If Variety is 95-100 and DHD is 95-105, it’s probable that the numbers are around there. 

Remind me again why I listen to you, Tele? :lol:

----

All in good fun of course. :)  But just have to ruefully shake my head that it looks like Disey/industry massively lowballed the range (225-235) once again, if not quite to the degree that they did for Black Panther.  Now we just have to see if it has enough juice to get past 247.97m.  Not gonna bet against it happening right now, that's for sure. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Astonishing Friday number for Avengers. There's probably too much of a deficit from preview screening totals to put it over Force Awakens's record, but an opening around $240 million is definitely nothing to sneeze at.

• ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Sources tell me that it was actually $106.9m, but Disney decided to stage an intervention on @aabattery's behalf and try to cure him of his addiction to the Nice Number.

Damned decent of Disney to try to do that, though I fear the patient is too far gone at this stage. :sadno:

Still got a 66.9 true Friday. Do not resist the 69, it is everywhere

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Thats fucking terrible reporting it's one of his favourite films. I'm 100% serious whoever made that article should step down.

James Cameron loves “2001: A Space Odyssey,” but he doesn’t like it. He explains the difference in an interview with the Star, saying that Stanley Kubrick’s sci-fi masterpiece “had an enormous, enormous impact” on him at a certain point in his life but that he now feels it’s too “sterile” to fully get immersed in.

“It’s not a film that I like; it’s a film that I love,” he says. “When I say I don’t like it, it’s that I don’t like the feel of the film. I don’t like its sterility. I like a film with a little more emotional balls, just as a movie, to get involved in. But as a work of art, I love (2001). It had an had an enormous, enormous impact on me, at a certain point.”

Technically true headlines are close to the worst headlines.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Why is clickbait allowed?

coz if it wasn't around then the internet would implode from lack of funding?

===

The answer is:  Friends don't let friends click bait. :)

NB:  This is why @FilmClickbait is a godsend, IMO. RebWGyw.png

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

To be honest I won’t even be bothered if it misses the ow record. Doing 240+ million is fine by me, I was sad with the 220-225 predictions after its preview number. Add the jaw dropping os results and I am happy again:D

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

21 hours ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

BP was a black swan event. If Variety is 95-100 and DHD is 95-105, it’s probable that the numbers are around there. 

I’m disappointed in this.

You can do better than that Tele

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

the opening saturday for mega-blockbuster:

SW7: $68.3m

JW: $69.64m (all time highest)

A1:$69.5m

TLJ: $64m

BP: $66m

I can sense a great curse is stopping a film from reaching $70m barrier, considering the true friday factor, I presume never a movie make $70m in "true" single day too.....

IW will have great chance of breaking $70m in a single day given that true friday.....

• ...wtf 1

Needs a 4.5% true Fri to Saturday increase to hit $70M. Very possible, but we'll see. Even Civil War for all its frontloadedness had a bigger jump than that, but we also weren't dealing with a $106M opening day.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

I had this random memory this weekend. I thought back to the fall of 2005 when I was working in the electronics department of Walmart. One of my co-workers had never seen a superhero movie before and he decided to buy every DVD he could get his hands on in our store. We're talking some true classics; the 2005 Fantastic Four, Ben Affleck's Daredevil, Nicholas Cage's Ghostrider, and Ang Lee's Hulk were four of his purchases. We talked about the superhero movie genre as something of a dying entity. Despite the commercial success of Rami's Spider-Man and the critical success of Batman Begins, it felt like comic book movies as a whole had run their course and fatigue was setting in. 

This was three full years before Iron Man. Simply astounding to see where we are today. 

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1