CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Just now, baumer said:

Why would Disney call for a 245 million dollar opening weekend? That would have to be around a 25 or 27% drop on Sunday and with spillover business sure to be substantial I don't see how that happens. But then again it's Disney and they did this with the force awakens as well LOL

Probably just to avoid awkwardness in case 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

e77.jpg

This makes no sense.  Why pass up the opportunity to tout you won the record on the day that gets the most press?

Almost every studio do the opposite. Claim the record first on Sunday, by the time Monday actually come, no one (beside us) cares anymore.

Don’t know what the hell Disney is going for lol.

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Probably just to avoid awkwardness in case 

Yeah, and I'm honestly fine with that. Just release the big headline with the official numbers for the record tomorrow.

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Again I can't win. I've never seen someone compare their wild guessing to others....

It's just a movie man. I think your going into it with the mind set that it is going to change your life. 

I have other movies I look forward too of course but this is the one that holds the box office record and is a film of James "box office king" Cameron. Will it change my life on a personal level? Maybe it might change me and show me my faults or something but I think it will change the whole world wait and see. Also it's not a wild guess at all there are already so many factors you can take into account.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

e77.jpg

This makes no sense.  Why pass up the opportunity to tout you won the record on the day that gets the most press?

Calling a record if you have any doubt that you don’t have it (even if it’s small) isn’t the best thing to do.  Better press to not call the record today and then simply be 100% about it tomorrow, then call the record and be wrong.

Its pretty likely with an 82m Sat it’ll be over 247m, but it’s technically not a guarantee.  I’d say a studio is always better off lowballing.

• Like 1

Just now, Sam said:

Almost every studio do the opposite. Claim the record first on Sunday, by the time Monday actually come, no one (beside us) cares anymore.

Maybe they don't want to hurt Lucas Film's feelings.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AndyK said:

You told us Wonder Woman was "borderline mess" and Justice League was "Fine".

You might know box office but you know jack shit about what constitutes a good movie.

3rd act (and nailed the financials of Wonder Woman) and I said Justice League was "fine" and explained that because way too many DC fans flipped out the time before.  I eviscerated that piece of shit movie after it was released.  Oh, and I warned everyone the financials of that one we well below what anyone thought it was going to be.   

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sam said:

If it breaks it when the final numbers come in, which I think it will, there will still be headlines. Imagine it will be a top story when all is said and done.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Maybe they don't want to hurt Lucas Film's feelings.

But wouldnt that be even more cruel? Giving them hope today that their record still stands just so Mondays actuals will hurt even more? :qotd:

• Haha 1

Is Disney really not going to give it a $250m ow estimate to get all the headlines??? That makes little sense.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I have other movies I look forward too of course but this is the one that holds the box office record and is a film of James "box office king" Cameron. Will it change my life on a personal level? Maybe it might change me and show me my faults or something but I think it will change the whole world wait and see. Also it's not a wild guess at all there are already so many factors you can take into account.

LOL

Edited by FTF

15 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

All those people thinking TFA was operating at a virtual maximum at the box office it’s OW. giphy.gif

they are kinda right. I mean its only been 2.5 years, but it seems IW is matching it with the slight inflation being the only difference. You could say both IW and TFA reached critical mass. 

• Like 1

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Calling a record if you have any doubt that you don’t have it (even if it’s small) isn’t the best thing to do.  Better press to not call the record today and then simply be 100% about it tomorrow, then call the record and be wrong.

Its pretty likely with an 82m Sat it’ll be over 247m, but it’s technically not a guarantee.  I’d say a studio is always better off lowballing.

If it's 245 they're calling for $57m Friday and a 30%+ drop.    There's safe and then there's ridiculous.

• Like 1