CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

3 hours ago, John Harris said:

Hey, are you sure The Wizard is OK with you revealing the magic that goes on behind the curtain??? :P

Yes, we have discussed before what I'm allowed to say and not say.  I asked him if I could get a picture with him and it was an emphatic NO.  RTH wants to remain shrouded in mystery.  :ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Labor Day is early September for USA/Canada. But I would think for other countries you are correct about some boost for Monday/Tuesday.

Yeah, still a damn full house everywhere tonight in my country.

I have watched in 2D and IMAX 3D, plan for 4DX as well 😜

• Like 1

I had a friend who was an assistant for head of distribution at a studio. He said they had stats on how different kinds of movies did down to the screen-level (aka which auditoriums in which multiplex).  They used all that to build their projection models, which as you can imagine got pretty complicated. I always thought building and maintaining that kind of model would be a fun job.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Can we call Civil War a Cap movie yet or do we need to wait another year to confirm that "The Avengers" brand is on a whole other level?

Plenty of folks here were completely sure IW would decrease from CW "because A2 and A2.5 kept decreasing", some of them are still here claiming that it will have poor legs "because Civil War!!!1!!1"

And if a captain america all alone is released and do closer to Winter Soldier than Civil War do we return back at not calling it a Cap movie ?

Calling it 2.5 (thus not a fully Avengers movie) was always a very reasonable stance.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

I continue to be puzzled by the Overboard marketing given how Faris is the star of a hit TV show in the US and is seemingly the star of this movie. She is certainly more well known than Derbez is to most US audiences. I have no idea if the film is any good but the marketing is very weird.

It’s hard to say for sure if Tully is being dumped as it is being positioned for its best possible release date outside of the awards season. The strong reviews so far make the release date even more puzzling since it could be an awards contender. That being said, it is about the best counter programming possible to the AIW juggernaut. It just may not play in enough theaters to make any impression apart from the tiniest of blips.

As for Life of the Party, its trailers have played well in front of A Quiet Place, I Feel Pretty and AIW which have had three different audiences. Yet it faces direct competition from IFP and Tully despite its good release date. Will people be ready for a wide comedy in two weekends? I have no idea; but the bar is not spectacularly high for it to be the biggest comedy OW of the year.

Yeah, I'm shocked Lionsgate didn't bother pushing Overboard differently than their other Derbez movies. Anna Faris is the main reason I initially predicted a 20M opening because I figured she and Derbez combined would bring in a wide array of audiences. Lionsgate will be fine regardless because it should still hit 30M.

As I said a few days ago, there is no reason Tully shouldn't have gotten 2,000+ theaters. The other day I saw HGTV running a tie in for it, so maybe that will help? Focus' plan is incredibly weird for this.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yes, we have discussed before what I'm allowed to say and not say.  I asked him if I could get a picture with him and it was an emphatic NO.  RTH wants to remain shrouded in mystery.  :ph34r:

No pics? Then the meeting never happened. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Forget about the 258-263 million. I'm O.O at the 640 million worldwide opening. GOT. DAMN. I think The Lion King actually could outright break the opening weekend record next year (at worst challenge it), but that worldwide opening? What movie has a chance in hell at that in the near future? Avatar 2? o.O The next Furious movie has no shot due to diminishing US returns. Star Wars Episode 9 won't do it either.

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly? The Avengers 4 has a good shot, especially if it secures the China Launch on the same weekend as everywhere else, unlike IW.

The Lion King is a dark horse. I personally dont see it reaching 250M for its US OW, but that movie is hard to predict when we dont have atleast a teaser for it. Films like Avatar 2 meanwhile dont rely on huge openings, if that film will be a monster hit, it will be once again all about the legs. SW 9 will probably have an opening similar to The Last Jedi, so no, that wont top it.

With such numbers, it will be surely a franchise film, not an original movie, which will top IW. Like i said, the most likely candidate is its own sequel.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Is Universal marketing team completely drunk ?

Just saw a godwaful trailer of JW2 before my second viewing of IW.

It made the movie look like shit.

Bravo.

I think that trailer will be like the GotG 2 one, mostly spoils the first half hour and shows pretty much nothing from the rest of the movie. Either this, or they are drunk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Is Universal marketing team completely drunk ?

Just saw a godwaful trailer of JW2 before my second viewing of IW.

It made the movie look like shit.

Bravo.

I had Deadpool 2, Solo, Incredibles 2, Kin, Jurassic World and Mission Impossible before my showing. 

Jurassic World by far had the worst trailer and there was barely any reaction to it especially compared to DP2, I2 and Solo. With Kin people were asking questions and MI there were folks talking about Tom Cruise and Superman. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

solid opening weekend. glad disney finally bagged a win. hopefully it's good enough for us to get a sequel.

True. The studio has needed something. I did see Good Morning America earlier and Robin Roberts did say the sequel is coming for May 2019, so whew, rest easy my friend! 

• Like 1

Just now, harrycaul said:

I had a friend who was an assistant for head of distribution at a studio. He said they had stats on how different kinds of movies did down to the screen-level (aka which auditoriums in which multiplex).  They used all that to build their projection models, which as you can imagine got pretty complicated. I always thought building and maintaining that kind of model would be a fun job.

I imagine it isn't foolproof though because sometimes a movie can exceed expectations like say an IT or a Jurassic World or even something like The Greatest Showman which just ran and ran. 

I assume this data is used for cinemas when they'll working out how much staff is needed for x weekend etc

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I think maybe around $465m Domestic through Sunday.

I was doing the baseline which is like 70 million weekdays and 100 million 2nd weekend (yeah that is the baseline its not dropping over 60% guys).