CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

7 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Is the Lion King any good? Haven't watched the first 2

The Lion King is maybe the best animated Disney film of all time for me. Artwork, story, characters and music are top-notch. Honestly, its rare to see someone who hasnt watched it yet :lol:. Lion King 2 is a mediocre direct-to-dvd sequel, not that bad, not that good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain Craig said:

True. The studio has needed something. I did see Good Morning America earlier and Robin Roberts did say the sequel is coming for May 2019, so whew, rest easy my friend! 

Man that's way too soon for a sequel. Won't even have a script when they start shooting if they want it done next year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

I was doing the baseline which is like 70 million weekdays and 100 million 2nd weekend (yeah that is the baseline its not dropping over 60% guys). 

From $69m Sunday...I went with -68% Monday, +15% Tuesday, -28% Wednesday, and -5% Thursday. Then add $125m for second weekend.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I had Deadpool 2, Solo, Incredibles 2, Kin, Jurassic World and Mission Impossible before my showing. 

Jurassic World by far had the worst trailer and there was barely any reaction to it especially compared to DP2, I2 and Solo. With Kin people were asking questions and MI there were folks talking about Tom Cruise and Superman. 

I think Universal isn't pushing it as hard as the previous film, maybe that will change as we get closer to release. It'll clear $100m+ OW easily but I think the ceiling might be closer to $140-150m than $200m. 

What is great is that A4 is already shot and it's script and potential direction won't be affected by Infinity War BO. Of course, re-shoots can always happen, but It's not like the studio will get ahead of themselves and just because this movie made a lot of money, the next can be rushed

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

solid opening weekend. glad disney finally bagged a win. hopefully it's good enough for us to get a sequel.

Sounds like something  Drax would say commenting box office.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Forget about the 258-263 million. I'm O.O at the 640 million worldwide opening. GOT. DAMN. I think The Lion King actually could outright break the opening weekend record next year (at worst challenge it), but that worldwide opening? What movie has a chance in hell at that in the near future? Avatar 2? o.O The next Furious movie has no shot due to diminishing US returns. Star Wars Episode 9 won't do it either.

Hide contents

I don't know why this box is here, i tried to get rid of it to no avail...:(

More mindblowing than anything is the fact that this didn't even include China. It legit would've opened to 800M WW with a Chinese opening included.

Wonder Woman, GOTG V2, Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok, four sh movies from 2017, all did in the 800's WW total. TOTAL. Madness.

First Monday numbers from South Korea. 

Infinity War

Sunday 1,107,603

Monday 487,006 -56%

Age of Ultron 

Sunday 1,005,712

Monday 291,263 -71%

So much bigger than Ultron with a massively better hold!

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 5

Just now, eXtacy said:

Infinity War

Sunday 1,107,603

Monday 487,006 -56%

Age of Ultron 

Sunday 1,005,712

Monday 291,263 -71%

Are these numbers inflated by some sorts of holidays? If not....well, shit.

Just now, eXtacy said:

Infinity War

Sunday 1,107,603

Monday 487,006 -56%

Age of Ultron 

Sunday 1,005,712

Monday 291,263 -71%

50M/60M OS today?

Just now, Brainbug said:

Are these numbers inflated by some sorts of holidays? If not....well, shit.

Its not a holiday.

There is a holiday tomorrow I think (not sure!) so a little inflated(?). Ultron had the holiday Wednesday

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Is Universal marketing team completely drunk ?

Just saw a godwaful trailer of JW2 before my second viewing of IW.

It made the movie look like shit.

Bravo.

I'm not a fan of the first movie. It was like a Roland Emmerich movie with cardboard cutout characters and dinosaurs and this one looks a lot worse. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Yes...The real winners, the people just as wrong as the other people who are wrong.

one camp was throwing around wishful thinking predictions while the other camp was superciliously preaching so called facts;

I think it's pretty clear who got hit harder with the actual numbers;

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Universal isn't pushing it as hard as the previous film, maybe that will change as we get closer to release. It'll clear $100m+ OW easily but I think the ceiling might be closer to $140-150m than $200m. 

Which is shocking to me. JW was Universal's highest grossing film of all-time, and JW2 is by far their biggest tentpole of the year. Nothing they have scheduled for this year other than the Grinch even looks locked to pass $150 million domestic. I assumed they would have gone all out in marketing it since it's one of the very few billion dollar franchises they have left along with the F&F series.