CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

C'mon now, putting Fury's voice at the same level of Jurassic Park and the original Star Wars seems too much..

I never compared them. I’m just saying nostalgic effect was exactly what Marvel went for with the first trailer. The chatter about it when trailer was released reflect that. 

It can be one of the factors, I never claim it’s the factor like with SW or JW

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Why is that interesting? There are plenty of examples in history of films that set records without nostalgia. The nostalgia thing is an outlier, not the other way around.

Great point Batman did it with it's first 3 movies (Batman 89, Batman Returns, Batman Forever) and then The Dark Knight (four overall). 

Ghostbusters 2 did it, Jurassic Park 1 did it, Return of the Jedi did it, Rocky 3 did it (i think). But in terms of recent times with these mega openings it is true that the recent ones have been nostalgia fueled.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I tend to agree, but if it frontloads the 700 mill it did make a little more than last time, then it's high up there.

Beauty and the Beast did 174 and Lion King is at least two times as popular with my generation and the generations below. 348m OW confirmed

But a live-action beauty and the beast is easier to do and be faithful to the elements that made people love the original. I am with the people who are holding off until we see a trailer before making predictions about Lion King.

Disney has been on fire and I sure they can find a way to make a good Lion King movie, but I have my doubts as to how much they can make it "feel" like the original.

• Like 1

Just now, XO21 said:

sure but none knew what an Iron Man was before 2008.

None? I grew up playing with Iron Man and Hulk toys right alongside my Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man toys. I remember when I saw the 2012 Avengers on opening weekend, there were dudes in their 30's or 40's wearing Avengers shirts. They looked like comic book nerds. I don't think they were Johnny Come Lately bandwagon fans. Probably grew up with the comics.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I tend to agree, but if it frontloads the 700 mill it did make a little more than last time, then it's high up there.

Beauty and the Beast did 174 and Lion King is at least two times as popular with my generation and the generations below. 348m OW confirmed

Here in Europe (especially in Germany and Austria), Lion King is maybe THE movie of my generation. Lots of people watch Marvel films, a lot more people watch Harry Potter, most people watch Star Wars/LOTR - but everyone knows and watched The Lion King. If that Remake can really deliver - unlike BatB 17' imo - it could set the world on fire.

• Like 2

Just now, jjack339 said:

But a live-action beauty and the beast is easier to do and be faithful to the elements that made people love the original. I am with the people who are holding off until we see a trailer before making predictions about Lion King.

Disney has been on fire and I sure they can find a way to make a good Lion King movie, but I have my doubts as to how much they can make it "feel" like the original.

Yea Beauty and the Beast/Jungle Book did have the novelty of being live action characters playing off the CGI, instead of all CGI. That's my one big doubt with Lion King. That said, Lion King is as big as it possibly gets for Disney (non Marvel/SW). It's the highest selling home video of all-time (I believe) for a good reason. Its popularity trounces all the Disney Renaissance and classical Disney movies. And with that cast.....if they DO find a way to get it right, sky is the limit.

1 minute ago, jaybox said:

Great point Batman did it with it's first 3 movies (Batman 89, Batman Returns, Batman Forever) and then The Dark Knight (four overall). 

Ghostbusters 2 did it, Jurassic Park 1 did it, Return of the Jedi did it, Rocky 3 did it (i think). But in terms of recent times with these mega openings it is true that the recent ones have been nostalgia fueled.

Batman 89 definitely had nostalgia helping fuel it. So did Superman 78. Spidey in 2002. People waited decades for these movies. Even Jurassic Park probably had some nostalgia fueling it. The first mega budget, "realistic" dinosaur movie. Every kid or kid at heart wanted to see that.

Lion King is way more difficult to pull off than any other Disney adaptation IMO, the riskiest project in their current pipeline.

Empirecity tho said footage looked incredible so ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I guess the NFL draft effect was real!

I prefer to think that WOM is in the process of accelerating IW's momentum. I for one was not that excited about it (after Ultron, and to a lessor extent CW, but Thor 3 gave me some hope) but after reading some of the initial reactions to the previews decided to go Friday afternoon.

I then could not stop thinking about it and had to see it on Saturday. I am now scheming for a way for me to make the 45 min drive to see it at the closest IMAX next weekend.

I have gone from "I guess I will see", "OMG, this is one of the best movie experiences I have had in a long time and I want to see it on the big screen multiple times"

Edited by jjack339
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

None? I grew up playing with Iron Man and Hulk toys right alongside my Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man toys. I remember when I saw the 2012 Avengers on opening weekend, there were dudes in their 30's or 40's wearing Avengers shirts. They looked like comic book nerds. I don't think they were Johnny Come Lately bandwagon fans. Probably grew up with the comics.

Eh lets not revise history too much. Saying Iron Man wasn't a popular superhero pre-2008 is a false statement, sure. But he NEVER had the mainstream appeal as many others. The movie really launched him into A-list status. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Perhaps. But I can tell you that no one outside the US knew these characters (except for Spider-Man). And despite this IW is smashing all over the world. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mango said:

Eh lets not revise history too much. Saying Iron Man wasn't a popular superhero pre-2008 is a false statement, sure. But he NEVER had the mainstream appeal as many others. The movie really launched him into A-list status. 

I agree with that, but the guy said nobody knew about Iron Man. That's nonsense. I was not a comic book reader at all as a kid but still had Iron Man toys. The status of that character is arguably #1 superhero in pop culture now. That's an amazing movement from where it was in say 2005.

The response to Lion King footage at CinemaCon was overwhelmingly positive. @EmpireCity even said he wouldn't be surprised if it crossed $1 billion domestic and Avatar WW. 

On 2018-04-24 at 1:01 PM, EmpireCity said:

Go ahead and give this the record domestic and maybe the record worldwide as well.  The footage was incredible and it was basically an early concept that looked so damn good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I agree with that, but the guy said nobody knew about Iron Man. That's nonsense. I was not a comic book reader at all as a kid but still had Iron Man toys. The status of that character is arguably #1 superhero in pop culture now. That's an amazing movement from where it was in say 2005.

in the UK it was pretty much Superman,Batman,Spiderman and X-men... everything else was kind of an afterthought. Mind you this was based pretty much on Cartoon Network

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Heck an Iron Man film was in development as far as back as 1990. There was always interest in these characters, the technology just wasn't there, and it's remarkable how fast things have evolved. A lot of people were skeptical of an Avengers film initially, and now we have three. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Lion King is way more difficult to pull off than any other Disney adaptation IMO, the riskiest project in their current pipeline.

Empirecity tho said footage looked incredible so ...

I disagree. After doing Jungle Book that did 950m worldwide and 95% on RT I would say its the least risky in the pipeline

9 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Perhaps. But I can tell you that no one outside the US knew these characters (except for Spider-Man). And despite this IW is smashing all over the world. 

It is simply amazing how they have grown their audience overseas. The first Iron Man film grossed 54% domestic, 46% overseas. Now they are racking up around 65% overseas. Incredible stuff.

• Like 2