CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

The only film that could break the record would be IW2 next year. No other film has a chance for a very long time. That being said, The Force Awakens will remain highest grossing for quite a while, there's only one film that has a chance of beating that. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

CRAZY BOLD PREDICTION: THIS MOVIE WILL DROP UNDER 50% NEXT WEEKEND. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST IF IT HAPPENS

IF IT DOESN'T JUST FORGET I EVER SAID THIS

If it doesn't, you will reminded of it for all eternity :sparta:

I wish I could follow your enthusiasm, but I'm afraid that REALLY ain't likely. Thor: Ragnarok dropped over 50% on a holiday weekend (Veteran's Day w/e). Yeah, the holiday itself was a Saturday, but I'd still imagine the Friday gross was at least somewhat inflated. I know Infinity War seems to have more enthusiastic wom and all, but.... let's be realistic for a second. The idea that it drops less than 60% alone imo is far fetched, and if it happens, I got A LOOOOOOOOOOOOT of crow to choke on.

3 minutes ago, Tree said:

The only film that could break the record would be IW2 next year. No other film has a chance for a very long time. That being said, The Force Awakens will remain highest grossing for quite a while, there's only one film that has a chance of beating that. 

Some people think the Lion King could do it given what Beauty Beast managed. I think its by far the more watched film

IMDB

Beauty and the Beast 365,339 votes

Lion King 762,958 votes

Edited by eXtacy

The interesting aspect of IW's success is that, contrary to Jurassic World & Force Awakens & Beauty and the Beast, it is not driven by nostalgia.

IW is a movie of its time & Iron Man is only 10 years old as a cinematic icon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Avengers/Lion King don't break the record next year (both have a shot), then Black Panther 2 probably has the next shot, but realistically the record could stand for years. I'll tell you what will break it: when they bring the original Harry Potter cast in ten years or so (as long as the Fantastic Beasts movies don't ruin the brand). 

If the SW prequels didn't ruin the brand for TFA, then I doubt Fantastic Beasts will.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Will it work through Fandango? Racking up points on there and Stubs would be awesome

Imagine so, but here is the wording :

"

Make Tuesday Your Favorite Day of the Week

Exciting news: you can now purchase $5 Tuesday tickets online!* This exclusive new perk is only for AMC Stubs®members and is available all year long.

Get your tickets on AMCTheatres.com or on the AMC Theatres® app.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The interesting aspect of IW's success is that, contrary to Jurassic World & Force Awakens & Beauty and the Beast, it is not driven by nostalgia.

Why is that interesting? There are plenty of examples in history of films that set records without nostalgia. The nostalgia thing is an outlier, not the other way around. That said, I think you can argue there is nostalgia attached to the Avengers property. Just like there was nostalgia attached to Batman in 1989 or Spider-Man in 2002. People waited many decades for these characters/stories to be adapted in a serious manner for the big screen.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

I don’t know, people in this day and age seem to have nostalgia about the burger they ate yesterday so...

The use of Silvestri’s Avengers theme couple with Fury’s line voice-overed by main Avengers in the first trailer certainly going for that nostalgic effect for The Avengers (2012)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Avengers/Lion King don't break the record next year (both have a shot), then Black Panther 2 probably has the next shot, but realistically the record could stand for years. I'll tell you what will break it: when they bring the original Harry Potter cast in ten years or so (as long as the Fantastic Beasts movies don't ruin the brand). 

I don't think BP2 can do it. That was just a perfect storm social factors coming into place at a time it faced little to no competition. The movie itself was good, but it was not the movie itself that drove the numbers it was the circumstances surrounding it.

I question whether that can be replicated in BP2.

• Like 2

Just now, Sam said:

I don’t know, people in this day and age seem to have nostalgia about the burger they ate yesterday so...

The use of Silvestri’s Avengers theme couple with Fury’s line voice-overed by main Avengers in the first trailer certainly going for that nostalgic effect for The Avengers (2012)

Sure but mathematically, Star Wars nostalgia or Jurassic Park nostalgia cover more generations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

C'mon now, putting Fury's voice at the same level of Jurassic Park and the original Star Wars seems too much..

Right now, a 1.8B WW finish for IW is likely, with a 1.2B OS + 600M DOM gross. However, is there a very small off chance that it actually crosses 2B? It'd probably need a 1.3B OS + 700M DOM finish, which is a big off-shot imo, but it's not completely out of this world impossi---nah, it ain't happening.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Just now, jjack339 said:

I don't think BP2 can do it. That was just a perfect storm social factors coming into place at a time it faced little to no competition. The movie itself was good, but it was not the movie itself that drove the numbers it was the circumstances surrounding it.

I question whether that can be replicated in BP2.

I tend to agree, but if it frontloads the 700 mill it did make a little more than last time, then it's high up there.

Beauty and the Beast did 174 and Lion King is at least two times as popular with my generation and the generations below. 348m OW confirmed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Right now, a 1.8B WW finish for IW is likely, with a 1.2B OS + 600M DOM gross. However, is there a very small off chance that it actually crosses 2B? It'd probably need a 1.3B OS + 700M DOM finish, which is a big off-shot imo, but it's not completely out of this world impossi---nah, it ain't happening.

well some people are saying it's going to make $400m in china

• Astonished 1