CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

JW and TFA relied on heavy nostalgia for the returning of the franchise. The Last Jedi lacks that and I assume that Fallen Kingdom will too. A4 on the other hand will draw audience not of nostalgia, but because anticipation and the amazing quality of IW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The trailers for JW2 are mediocre to bad, but the fucking Posters are a whole other league of garbage:

Jurassic_World_Fallen_Kingdom.png

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS

I can’t imagine running would be easy or comfortable for either of them with Bryce holding onto Pratt like that. 

He might as well just carry her and it’ll be much faster lol.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Universal isn't pushing it as hard as the previous film, maybe that will change as we get closer to release. It'll clear $100m+ OW easily but I think the ceiling might be closer to $140-150m than $200m. 

The marketing is a different story imo. They're probably waiting for the dust to clear after IW and heck even the blockbusters in May. You only need 4-6 weeks to really market a film anyways but the trailer they released is tragic and the trailer is your biggest selling point for a film and the trailer they have playing in front of millions of people imo isn't selling the film. Having said that I still think this site is selling the film short. I think it can make a lot of money in the states especially since the second half of the summer is empty and World wide it should be fine. Still doesn't change the fact that the trailer isn't a good one. It's just there lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Which is shocking to me. JW was Universal's highest grossing film of all-time, and JW2 is by far their biggest tentpole of the year. Nothing they have scheduled for this year other than the Grinch even looks locked to pass $150 million domestic. I assumed they would have gone all out in marketing it since it's one of the very few billion dollar franchises they have left along with the F&F series.

Either the film isn't great or Universal just assumes it's making a billion and just doing the bare minimum. They're going to be for a shock if it suffers a big drop

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Also Jurassic World 2 seems to suffer a bad case of Warner Bros syndrome :

dark, limited color palette, grey-ish .... ykes.

Erm, have you seen Rampage or RPO, neither have that nor did Game Night. 

1 minute ago, envyblog said:

one camp was throwing around wishful thinking predictions while the other camp was superciliously preaching so called facts;

I think it's pretty clear who got hit harder with the actual numbers;

*shrug* if you say so. But at least those who are wrong are gracious in their defeat. certainly better than being smug in their victory.

8 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

I thought TFA record would hold for a long time. AIW broke it in 2.5 years. But now, I don’t see anything breaking AIW record for a long time(unless 4th one beats it). 

I can think of 2-3 posters who worship at a directors alter who might feel different. 

That project isn't going to be the box office champ they envision though. Sad times ahead for that cult. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The marketing is a different story imo. They're probably waiting for the dust to clear after IW and heck even the blockbusters in May. You only need 4-6 weeks to really market a film anyways but the trailer they released is tragic and the trailer is your biggest selling point for a film and the trailer they have playing in front of millions of people imo isn't selling the film. Having said that I still think this site is selling the film short. I think it can make a lot of money in the states especially since the second half of the summer is empty and World wide it should be fine. Still doesn't change the fact that the trailer isn't a good one. It's just there lol 

They're marketing it already OS since it's coming out earlier but I think it's going to TLJ 2.0, still a hit but nothing near the previous film. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Either the film isn't great or Universal just assumes it's making a billion and just doing the bare minimum. They're going to be for a shock if it suffers a big drop

Erm, have you seen Rampage or RPO, neither have that nor did Game Night. 

RPO had exactly that. The whole thing was a dingey grey.

But can we pause for a second and remember, that X-Men 1 is just 18 years old? Spider-Man 1 is only 16 years old. Like, what the hell has happened with Comic Book movies that an impossible movie like Infinity War even gets made and on top of that gets watched by

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Pr

Its a success story for the ages, whether one likes these kind of movies or not.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

Just now, Rumpot said:

Whoa. Just got an email saying AMC allowing $5 Tuesday tickets to now be purchased online.  Going to make a big difference

Woah... buying tickets using the Internet. It's quantum, baby.

13 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

I thought TFA record would hold for a long time. AIW broke it in 2.5 years. But now, I don’t see anything breaking AIW record for a long time(unless 4th one beats it). 

I'd agree but i remember everyone here was SHOCKED when Avengers went down in 2015 with Jurassic World, then Force Awakens broke JW in December.  Force Awakens gets beat 2.5 years later (tho if it stays at 258 Force Awakens retains it adjusted right? I'm sure IW will probably be like 262-263 with actuals). Now we're like "it won't be beaten anytime soon." I'd say odds are Avenger's 4, and/or Lion King have a shot at the US opening. You can't ever count out Star Wars but Episode 9 is gonna suffer in it's opening due to Last Jedi - if it's received better it'll be shown via its legs not the opening. The Opening weekend record hasn't held longer than 4 years since maybe Spider-Man 1 right? 2002 to 2006 with Dead Man's Chest. 2007- Spiderman 3, 2008-  Dark Knight 2011 - Harry Potter 8, 2012 - Avengers 2015 - JW and Force Awakens 2018 - Avengers Infinity War. 

Edited by jaybox

If Avengers/Lion King don't break the record next year (both have a shot), then Black Panther 2 probably has the next shot, but realistically the record could stand for years. I'll tell you what will break it: when they bring the original Harry Potter cast in ten years or so (as long as the Fantastic Beasts movies don't ruin the brand). 

3 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Whoa. Just got an email saying AMC allowing $5 Tuesday tickets to now be purchased online.  Going to make a big difference

Will it work through Fandango? Racking up points on there and Stubs would be awesome

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I can think of 2-3 posters who worship at a directors alter who might feel different. 

That project isn't going to be the box office champ they envision though. Sad times ahead for that cult. 

How did you know about the alter and very happy times are ahead. Opening weekend is just a part of the main picture.