That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Wknd #'s A:IW 61.8, LOTP 18.5, BI 16.5, OB 10.1, AQP 6.4, IFP 3.7, R 3.4, T 2.2

I’d be shocked if Jurassic World doesn’t drop like a stone esp domestic. The marketing campaign and the trailers have been a huge letdown. IMO $140-150m OW.

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Jurassic World was big EVERYWHERE because of nostalgia. Fallen Kingdom doesn't have that luxury. 

Not sure if it was nostalgia in a market like China.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Not sure if it was nostalgia in a market like China.

True. Finding Dory & Jumanji 2 had nostalgia but weren’t massive breakouts in China either. I think what made JW so large over there was.....something else. It was a monster-movie on a large scale and with dinosaurs.

37 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

When did the Marvelites turn on Jurassic World? When it beat Avengers? 

Shouldn’t they turn back off it now? :lol:

Yeah I think we got a huge win with Infinity Wars :ph34r:

• Like 1

Last JW looked quiet too compared to the numbers it put. The marketing is coming together imo ... from last couple of trailers:

dino island under threat from volcano -> society debates on whether to get them closer to populated areas or let them die -> goldblum warns that dinos can't be contained and will escape -> dino rights activists win and get dinos mainland with help of donors in the nick of time -> donors using dinos for evil purposes -> one clever scary dino uses it's prowess to escape like goldblum foretold -> hide and seek ensues

mosasaurus is horrifying surfers somewhere in between. that's the main reason to watch it.

Edited by A2k Raptor

7 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Justice League was the only one of those three movies openly advertised as a direct sequel to BvS. And while I agree the troubled production and lackluster marketing played a big role in its failure, it's also kinda silly to claim that the poor reception for BvS didn't have anything to do with it either. A movie does not end up with 1.99 legs if it's in any way well regarded by the GA, DVD sales be damned.

It wasn't advertised as a direct sequel at all. There was nothing related to Superman or Luthor or anything in the marketing. The mother boxes,  Cyborg,  Flash,  Aquaman all played very minor roles in BvS. 

That's why I'm saying it was the marketing, Snyder having to leave, Whedon adding layers to the story that were nothing more than a Marvel lite ripoff and most of all...  WB rushing the project before laying the groundwork for it.  Nobody was ready for a JL movie including WB themselves.  

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Nostalgia alone one gives you a 3 multiplier from a 200m opening ? 

Both ow and legs were a bit higher than TA (207.4 vs 208.8 and 3.12x vs 3.01x). I was hoping JW2 doesn't show a bigger drop than TA => AOU. Right now it seems like FK will miss AOU's ow by a significant margin but hoping that it can leg it better : 170*2.65=451

1 hour ago, MattW said:

I can easily see JW2 over 150 in two territories, but not 200.

I cannot imagine JW2 doing near 200m OW dbo, but that said was not imagining the first one to do over 140m either.

Quite and hard to read franchise for me, it broke the all time opening weekend record 3 time already, so at this point I will try to stop being surprised by it, but I know I won't.

I will be again surprised if it does a better drop than Lost World from JP 1 (in today sequel tend to retain better reality adjusted)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1