ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

Yeah those complaining about bitching  about scores . You do realize eternals has currently 61 metacritic the lowest for an mcu film so far ofcorse it may go up but metacritic doesn't move much so lows 60s probably.

Why are poeple comparing this to fucking venom which most consider a fun dumb movie . Mcu has better standards than it. The

Movie made by acclaimed chloe zhao ,kevin fiege's swing for the oscars and it's starts this lower than even blackwidow is just dissapointing to say . 

Is it going rotten no.

Will it affect OW. not much really.

A movie most thought would be one of the best reviewed and have good oscar  nominations chances starts with low scores and low average at least joker had a 7.3 average to go with it's 69% .I can partly understand the meltdown . If shangchi had this kind of reviews most wouldn't as shocked bse most didn't have hope for that movie and thought it would be middling at best.

Yeah that it the most "unique "movie is becoming a crutch. Though iam excited it still not a guarantee for it to be a good movie . It could still have issues.

6.3/10/ 6/10 is way too low score for it to just be about it s the most unique marvel movie alone.

Yeah some reactions here may be a little hyperbolic but this starting scores are really iM2, incredible hulk,TDW low.

Most mcu flicks start high and then drop . 

So those saying these current scores are decent for an mcu flick yet they are currently among the lowest for the franchise are kind of moving goals posts tbh .

Ofcorse they will move up but not by much I think tbh esp the average.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I mostly objected to the phrasing "toiling away." The rest of your comment is fine even if I disagree on the merits of MCU films and such. 

Back in the day, I think critics-turned-filmmakers Godard and Truffaut of the French New Wave might have torn Zhao apart for making a movie like "Nomadland" and then segueing right into the biggest of studio-products like "Eternals."  But it was also a different reality, then...this kind of blockbuster system that seems to drive a lot of the business right now wasn't quite so emphasized.  There are fundamentalists about this, and people in-between.  But the reality is that most filmmakers who even achieve Zhao's stature do at least one of these kinds of projects for the notoriety (and yes, money) to advance their careers.  

14 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Art matters. If you value art and artists beyond their commercial parameters, you want people like Zhao to keep making great art...and they simply won't be able to do that toiling away within the MCU system.  It's a different commercial reality.  

I suppose it depends on one's perspective. I think it's possible to be a director who exists in both realities, as you term it, and makes both great commercial fare and compelling films that are less mainstream. Some excellent directors have done both and contributed to cinema and entertainment in pretty impressive fashion, from my perspective.

That said, your "toiling away" language suggests you find the MCU franchise not worth a director's time.  I can respect if you have strong opinions about the MCU in this way.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

wtf is this, why some people really pretend people are easier on movies just because a woman directed it or have diversity?

Firepower does this song and dance all the time about how woke critics give any movie that stars somebody with an XX chromosome a pass, regardless of quality, which...yeah, says a lot to me.

Oh and by the way Firepower, if you're upset that I'm holding your garbage, offensive statements accountable and think I'm being too immature, let it be known that a mature person doesn't hang around in forums or environments they don't like being in. If you're not a fan of my moderation style, you're free to go elsewhere ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's no anti-MCU sentiment. Eternals simply didn't meet the lofty expectations that studio set with their hype. All other movies that had lower expectations came off better because expectations met/exceeded even if they were very low >>>>>> expectations not met. 

Thank you Exactly this.

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I do think Marvel must be careful with these gigantic movies.

Eternals overall is more toward positive so far despite a bit divisive, but No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness are also gigantic in scope, it can get real messy. IW and EG was planned for years, now they're moving quickly with the multiverse, could be a problem.

I do think both will get good reception because the huge fan services should be enough to make overall critics pleased, even if top critics dislike, but they must be careful.

Tbh i know it’s too soon to say but I do think that them trying to make every movie a big sweeping event may hurt them more in the long run rather than doing more small Phase 1 movies, so they can maybe take more risks creatively. 

Kind of disappointed Eternals’ reception wasn’t better considering Zhao’s work prior but am also disappointed the dueling between in a way (not saying all MCU products are the same or the MCU is trash) of seemingly the MCU model coming into conflicts with the nature of the story, which has happened for a lot of MCU movies for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Just critics/twitter crowd, there were really strong cases about this.

Also I kind of wonder how old Eric is, very immature behaviour for a moderator.

And what you proof about that?

We have numerous cases that being directed by woman or having diversity brings more chaos, not acclaim.

Just because some people on twitter act like everything diverse is perfect that this happens in reality, it doesn't. The very first Eternals reviews praise the LGBTQ+ approach and the cast diversity, still gave it a 5/10.

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Firepower does this song and dance all the time about how woke critics give any movie that stars somebody with an XX chromosome a pass, regardless of quality, which...yeah, says a lot to me.

Oh and by the way Firepower, if you're upset that I'm holding your garbage, offensive statements accountable and think I'm being too immature, let it be known that a mature person doesn't hang around in forums or environments they don't like being in. If you're not a fan of my moderation style, you're free to go elsewhere ;)

I would like to thank your response, as part of a minority it really annoy me reading that this somehow brings some privilege in film industry (or critical industry in this case), it's almost shocking honestly.

I think you're absolutely right to holding this type of posts as a moderator.