Jump to content
ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum Opus from 2X ACADEMY AWARD WINNER Chloe Zhao

Recommended Posts

I´m sure Disney will just ask her to apologize soon, it´s such a dumb thing that i doubt she won´t do it, the rest is with them, i´m sure Eternals is fine.

 

Nomadland maybe it´s late to save on China, but who cares, it won´t be a hit there anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Eternals’ fate in China depending on: 

 

a) Zhao’s attitude and statement on her past words

b) Nomadland’s later road to Oscar

c) Reactions to Shang-Chi and its Asian elements from local audience

d) Communications between Disney and Chinese government

 

Best situation - Marvel continue roaring in China with the movie.

 

Worst - Eternals get banned in China.

 

Please explain to me why her "attitude" is a problem and why she has to clarify any of her years-old interview.  

 

So if she wants her film released in China, she has to "play their game" right?  We'll see what happens.  But Marvel's been doing this for a decade, allowing China to add extra scenes to Iron Man 2, etc., so I guess it wouldn't surprise me.   It will be very disappointing if she chooses to "re-frame her words" purely for the sake of corporate profit.  

 

Anyone in this thread who thinks Zhao should "apologize" for anything is part of the problem.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Please explain to me why her "attitude" is a problem and why she has to clarify any of her years-old interview.  

 

So if she wants her film released in China, she has to "play their game" right?  We'll see what happens.  But Marvel's been doing this for a decade, allowing China to add extra scenes to Iron Man 2, etc., so I guess it wouldn't surprise me.   It will be very disappointing if she chooses to "re-frame her words" purely for the sake of corporate profit.  

 

Anyone in this thread who thinks Zhao should "apologize" for anything is part of the problem.  

I could misread you (and put words in your fingers) but you seem to take Feng descriptive perception of the world to Feng making any judgment on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Macleod said:

Please explain to me why her "attitude" is a problem and why she has to clarify any of her years-old interview.  

 

So if she wants her film released in China, she has to "play their game" right?  We'll see what happens.  But Marvel's been doing this for a decade, allowing China to add extra scenes to Iron Man 2, etc., so I guess it wouldn't surprise me.   It will be very disappointing if she chooses to "re-frame her words" purely for the sake of corporate profit.  

 

Anyone in this thread who thinks Zhao should "apologize" for anything is part of the problem.  

Its really cringy when people resort to this 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean having a gay character would mean Eternals was going to have issues getting a China release anyways. I'm sure it's nothing that can't be smoothed over.

 

They should put an Uighur character in there, just to re enforce the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

 

They should put an Uighur character in there, just to re enforce the point.

Disney aren't as woke as they should be. If its anything like John Boyega in star wars then they will likely just hide the gay character from the marketing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this movie need China? Joker did just fine without it. Yes I understand the budget difference between Joker (55M) and Eternals (200M likely) but over a billion gross is over a billion gross. Also, it isn't like China went gaga for Mulan that was specifically made for that market. It flopped miserably there. So pandering doesn't always get you results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's with this attitude that whenever there is something like this the discussion always goes, do this movie need China or just limited to China box office.

 

What about the fans who will be denied to watch it in theaters for something as stupid/trivial as this. Mind you more people in China watched Endgame than people in USA. One person's action/views shouldn't affect tens of million desire to do something.

 

A simple thing to do, if this controversy continue till Eternals, will be old fashioned distancing the company from Director's personal view officially. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Does this movie need China? Joker did just fine without it. Yes I understand the budget difference between Joker (55M) and Eternals (200M likely) but over a billion gross is over a billion gross. Also, it isn't like China went gaga for Mulan that was specifically made for that market. It flopped miserably there. So pandering doesn't always get you results.

 

 

Disney and Marvel think they need. The studio called back the local release plan of Nomadland because they wanted to prevent their brand and upcoming movies from potential and bigger controversies.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eternals may also get banned in Muslim-majority countries like Indonesia that give plenty of box office money to Marvel.

 

But I remember Bohemian rhapsody got released here too, so should not be a big issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Barnack said:

I could misread you (and put words in your fingers) but you seem to take Feng descriptive perception of the world to Feng making any judgment on it.

Lost in translation, perhaps?  I understand, Feng may be talking about the industry reality vs. an opinion on Zhao.

 

There's still no reason that this notion of "apologizing" has to be the reality... but I guess it is, for many.  Money.  

 

This is a box-office forum where we discuss global potentials, understood, but this is one of these moments where I feel it's important to draw a line in the sand.  The real problem is the fact that the China market (and perhaps Marvel fandom) is so "important" that anyone would suggest that any filmmaker should be willing to roll-over and apologize for an already years-old vague interview statement. 

 

America has plenty of "lies" as well, but Zhao obviously has a stance on her birthplace's culture and politics, and she relocated to a country where those freedoms to have an opinion are at least protected, even if always debated.  The Chinese Government's and people's response is what we should be talking about here, not Zhao's.  Diplomacy is important, but this has all been blown way out of proportion by a gullible population stirred to "patriotism."  Zhao/Marvel/Disney should say/do nothing.  

 

OK, I'm done.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What's with this attitude that whenever there is something like this the discussion always goes, do this movie need China or just limited to China box office.

 

What about the fans who will be denied to watch it in theaters for something as stupid/trivial as this. Mind you more people in China watched Endgame than people in USA. One person's action/views shouldn't affect tens of million desire to do something.

 

A simple thing to do, if this controversy continue till Eternals, will be old fashioned distancing the company from Director's personal view officially. 

That's a good point. 

 

22 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

 

 

Disney and Marvel think they need. The studio called back the local release plan of Nomadland because they wanted to prevent their brand and upcoming movies from potential and bigger controversies.

And this one too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well who knew that interview by Chloe Zhao in early 2010s will lead to Endgame losing the All Time Grosser title 2 years early. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
Avatar was released by Disney in leiu of Nomadland release cancelled from their quota.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Well who knew that interview by Chloe Zhao in early 2010s will lead to Endgame losing the All Time Grosser title 2 years early. 

Thank you, Double Agent Chloe. Couldn't have done this without you. 

Avatar Pepe | Pepe the Frog | Know Your Meme

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If they really think they've got something then that increases the odds of showing something at the Oscars.

No it doesn't lol. The Oscars aren't even gonna be watched by a lot of people this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.