Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, Uzice said:

I'm completely serious. The prequels may have been bad, but they didn't kill my enthusiasm for future movies. TLJ did that. I will never pay to see a Star Wars film again.

There are thousands way to revitalize and introduce some new concepts and element in SW brand, but they go for the worst way....

Since when introducing new stuff while not pissing off fans are mutually exclusive?

36 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

How did you  figure that out, was there a disclaimer I missed at the beginning of the movie: "Based on a true story, Interstellar is 100% scientifically accurate".?

The marketing and Nolan himself said many times that they made everything as accurate as possible. In most scenes they succeded but definetly not in the final act.

I enjoy Interstellar but for that reason i rank it below every other Nolan movie besides Insomnia (which i also like just to be clear :lol:)

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

It took 41 years but we finally have a Star Wars movie that flopped.

Well it’s not like we 1-2 Star Wars movies per year so this 41 years says nothing when the movies are actually very few , well up until Disney begun the milking at least.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

The marketing and Nolan himself said many times that they made everything as accurate as possible. In most scenes they succeded but definetly not in the final act.

I enjoy Interstellar but for that reason i rank it below every other Nolan movie besides Insomnia (which i also like just to be clear :lol:)

i agree. interstellar got close to an A film for me but the time traveler's tesseract book-shelf in a black-hole got a bit much. still a solid B+.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Pod Racing

Duel of Fates

JarJar's vs driods

Always a bigger fish

Duel Of The Fates and Darth Maul are the only good things about Phantom Menace. Pod Racing sequence is kinda fun, but it's also annoying because it is shot without any imagination or excitement to it whatsoever, just the same two angles over and over and over again. As someone who studies cinematography AND played a ton of racing video games with dynamic cameras, that is a nitpick that really grinds on me. Everything else about it sucks hard. And AOTC is trash. It has one legit good thing: the origin of Boba Fett. That's it. Less Jar Jar helps too, but that's not as much a positive as a reduction of a negative.

ROTS is not great.... I'm not sure if it's even "good" per say, but it's a lot better than either. Less cringey script and much less eye-gauging CGI are a good start, the narrative of Anakin's transformation (despite some memetastic moments along the way, of course) is legit compelling and Order 66 is a highlight in the entire SW franchise.

As a movie, though, TLJ is better than all of them. No matter what you think of the dumping of theories, Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff is far more compelling and interestingly executed than Anakin's transformation, probably because of the much better actors. It's also a much, much, MUCH better looking and crafted film than the eye sore of the prequels. Sure, the Finn/Rose stuff (esp. Canto Bight) is ehh, the humor is bleh and there are some dumb twists, but I think the movie as a whole serves as an interesting exploration of the concept of heroes committing mistakes and actually being incompetent in a way that makes them human, rather than perfect plan building robots who are always a step ahead of the villains and the audience.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

There are thousands way to revitalize and introduce some new concepts and element in SW brand, but they go for the worst way....

Since when introducing new stuff while not pissing off fans are mutually exclusive?

OK, I'll bite, (we can take it to the RTM thread if you want), but what new concepts and elements did they introduce that were done in the worst way?

imho, only good thing IX has going for it and the reason I'm seeing it in theaters is Roger Deakins. 

Their original plans and big finale went under when Carrie Fisher died, and JJ is not capable of making something interesting unless he sets up mystery boxes for future trilogies, which I don't think people will accept but we will see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Hollywood marketed The Core as scientifically accurate. It's a thing they do for some reason.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

OK, I'll bite, (we can take it to the RTM thread if you want), but what new concepts and elements did they introduce that were done in the worst way?

I don't see such needs, you'll see plenty of them online which I am totally agree with except for one, i.e Luke characterisation in TLJ, many fans are pissed off by Luke's character but I don't see that as a problem....

22 minutes ago, REC said:

I think its possible the trades and media who want to stay on Disney's good side or who want access didn't want to get ahead of the failure story.

If they correctly projected bad numbers ahead of time, but it surprised with a stronger than expected showing (maybe because of holiday weekend walkups) that doesn't help them in their relationships with Disney.  But if they overproject, and then it comes under as expected, they never crossed Disney and its an opportunity to write new think piece articles on what went wrong.

If an industry site becomes nothing but a propaganda machine for a studio then what's the merit in reading their reflections on the business? Even worse, if that influence holds true, then imagine how far reaching a studio's impact would be on a movie critic who could use a financial supplement so their family gets a vacation this year? I think it's safe to assume Disney has a number of rubber stampers out there faithfully kneeling at the throne for a sad hand out. It kind of goes back to the original idea that everyone should just vote with their wallet from their own assessment and  ignore the franchise groupies in the industry. 

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No brand is immune to underperformance.

Even If superheroe fatigue feels like a silly talk right now, Marvel will have a flop sometime too.

It's how things work. Nothing lasts forever.

Marvel already had a flop. They got it out of the way early, tho.

The Incredible Hulk poster.jpg

:sparta:

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

What's the point of mystery boxing when you then select people like rian Johnson who says what mystery boxes for the next film.

There is no point to mystery boxing, especially when its as crap as Abrams. The man has now ruined 2 great franchises with his BS.

2 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

I think the difference between me and some others on here is that I take no joy in this failure. Some here seem to absolutely relish it. Its thoroughly undeserved, which isnt like the DCEU situation which is completely deserved.

Oh please , it’s just a movie , it’s not like we had a mass shooting and people are rejoicing or whatever . If you can’t stand it stop reading the thread, that’s what I would do if something that liked failed and couldn’t stand to read the reactions.