Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

27 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

The bursting film careers of Edward Furlong, Hayden Christensen, Nick Stahl, or heck, Mark Hamill, beg to disagree with that statement. These franchises have never been kind to young actors.

But they don't always need to be. E.g., the Harry Potter stars got rich and famous for life off that franchise alone. No need to do anything else. 

7 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

So the memorial day record is standing longer than the opening weekend record. Crazy 11 years vs 2-3 years on average the OW record seems to be broken these days.

It makes some sense in that now the start of summer is the first week of May last week of April.  I think except for 2014 when ASM2 under-performed the biggest film of May over the last decade opened just 3-4 weeks earlier.  That takes a bit of thunder away from MD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

So true. She’s legit a terrrible actress. Imagine failing to launch a movie career with two huge franchises (terminator and Star Wars). Just LOL. 

Harsh. Her role in Game of Thrones is iconic, she'll always be known and famous for that.

Plus, she was far from the worst thing in Solo, did her thing pretty well actually. Laying any blame on her for its failure at all is just off the mark. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

if you look through the 90s it's pretty clear memorial day weekend is where the start of summer big dick tentpoles used to open godzilla, the lost world etc. with maybe a smaller blockbuster opening the start of may. the shift kinda started 2001/2002 with spider-man ish.

Edited by CoolioD1

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i mean the public likes him this isn't like a taylor kitsch type thing he does have the #1 song in the US right now he's pretty popular. i just think, it's a thing we say all the time, but if people don't care about the core concept no actor is gonna reel them in.

Proof that star system is dead no matter how hard Hollywood still tries to make some people stars. One can like a song and still stir clear of uninteresting concept because concept is stronger draw than whoever is in the movie. Even actors who are more reliable than other can't open everything (The Rock in Baywatch, Leo in J Edgar, Sandra in I forgot what that bomb name was).

5 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Harsh. Her role in Game of Thrones is iconic, she'll always be known and famous for that.

Plus, she was far from the worst thing in Solo, did her thing pretty well actually. Laying any blame on her for its failure at all is just off the mark. 

Agreed. I actually enjoyed her role.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

yeah let's ignore all movies that don't cost at least 120M to make

Seems like a lot of people are. I read a lot of "damn! Every movie got dragged down with SOlo!"s.

WTF?

All these non-blockbuster films not aimed at teenage boys are doing well.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Deadline tries to keep pushing the notion of people seeing it and telling their friends who didn't see it that they should go see it.

I fail to see this film as *that* special that it gets that kind of business.

Deadline bias shows. They act like shills. There's no way this unnecessary movie gets a must-see WOM. 

@GraceRandolph Emilia is no worse actress than any GoT actress. The praise for Lena "Snarl and wine sip" Heady is laughable as is the praise for Sophie "Keanu Emotes Better" Turner and Maisie "Loony Stare" Williams.  They all play these characters as caricatures of what they have been in early seasons, which is still entertaining but far from good. 

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

If RBG doesn’t get over 1M, this will be first weekend in 14 months with a sub-1M grosser in the top ten :gold: 

More evidence of the disease that Solo has spread to the other movies at the box office.

They should just remove it from theaters for the sake of the other films. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Seems like a lot of people are. I read a lot of "damn! Every movie got dragged down with SOlo!"s.

WTF?

All these non-blockbuster films not aimed at teenage boys are doing well.

While the other films are having good holds from week to week, their Friday increases were relatively mute from Thursday. 

Best actor in GoT is peter dinklage anyway hense actually launching a successful career after GoT. Some of the British establihsed actors in secondary roles are great too. 

Edited by Thrylos 7