Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

13 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

So true. She’s legit a terrrible actress. Imagine failing to launch a movie career with two huge franchises (terminator and Star Wars). Just LOL. 

The bursting film careers of Edward Furlong, Hayden Christensen, Nick Stahl, or heck, Mark Hamill, beg to disagree with that statement. These franchises have never been kind to young actors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

TBH, I think it's doing ok. I just wanted you or someone here to talk to me.

PM me when you want to speak to an German female who is maybe as old as your grandmother and is interested into a lot of things.

(I am not constantly here, if RL-projects call I am sometimes away for a long time)

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

We all got problems and I'm sure we'd like to help each other but I dunno if the weekend thread is the place to get help... wouldn't the Classic Conversation be better for that? :thinking:

Every time I tried that one out I had the feeling a lot of ppl speak to ppl they do spek to at other places already. Very seldom did someone react. Maybe I do not understand the system there.

38 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And we are going to find out a lot more in the next couple of weeks about what went on during the filming of "Solo".  Be interesting to hear the various stories and try to figure out who is lying and who is telling the truth.

Did you ever see Rashomon? To me a really great film.

The Truth. A funny thing.

Most of the time it is a mix of reasons, who to weight them varies too, depends on the POVs, their past experiences... of the involved also.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Emilia Clarke had a new character and a secondary role....actually after all the hype on social media Donald Glover didn’t have any effect. Just saying. As for Alden I won’t even bother.

To be fair n1 could have saved this trainwreck..

Thank you! Hollywood is trying to make him happen but Solo defo didn't benefit from him. Right now, it's all hype no delivery.

6 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

The bursting film careers of Edward Furlong, Hayden Christensen, Nick Stahl, or heck, Mark Hamill, beg to disagree with that statement. These franchises have never been kind to young actors.

She was alredy a huge name before this movie due to Game of thrones which is arguably bigger than star wars at the moment. Her acting just isn’t gonna cut it for hollywood

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

kWktsH7.png

The gap between IW and BP is dropping fast, I'm thinking IW is going to end around $675m.

This graph has more creativity and effort put into it than the Solo film.  

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

@Mango

You nailed it. Spin-offs feel like a filler and filler isn't a must-see. RO had a benefit of XMas spot and coming off TFA heels (and ramping up Vader in promos) but that was one time when people were curious. Next filler (Solo) didn't fare well and fillers coming after it won't either. 

Rogue One was also a feature length justification to the Death Star pet peeve in A New Hope.

Rogue One will go down as the exception.

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Thank you! Hollywood is trying to make him happen but Solo defo didn't benefit from him. Right now, it's all hype no delivery.

I actually agree. I wasn't blown away by him in this film given twitter being on his nuts constantly. But he's super talented, I like his music and tv show. I thought Clarke & Alden were actually good. But I liked the cast overall. 

• Like 1

So am I going to get attacked when I say that Deadpool 2 is falling off a cliff or are people finally seeing the signs :thinking:

Also if you're expecting it to recover. Don't. It's doing horrendously at my theater for the rest of the weekend. I actually wouldn't be shocked if it makes under $40M for the weekend. 

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

i mean the public likes him this isn't like a taylor kitsch type thing he does have the #1 song in the US right now he's pretty popular. i just think, it's a thing we say all the time, but if people don't care about the core concept no actor is gonna reel them in.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

strange, the quotes you used were not about Solo being a success, they were ~ about the reasons the additional filming might have other costs than other genre-films with additional filming

Spoiler

He does not say it is an success (no one says that) it is about if it is really that a bad situation like in my POV too many here try to make it look like

Yes, it looks like not making its production budget back, but there are different reason why it is less of a minus than the usual calculation models let assume some ppl here, incl ignoring the tax rebates, merchandise see the Cars example above and so on.

The difference is, in most cases a movie needs to make the money out of BO, TV rights and HV. If it is a movie with only local story, it needs it per the local BO, if not....

With franchises there are other calculation models reasons and so on.

It is implied that he said that it would be a success using the phrase "Solo is going to do very well". "To do very well" is not for failures like Solo.

I quoted his posts talking about the budget because success depends on the budget. He tried to lessen the responsibility of how much Solo should to do at the box office with posts like this:

"Lol at the "rumors" of a $300m budget on Solo.     I guess if "rumors" are defined as shit on this site posters completely made up."

Link:

And now dhd says Solo's budget is over $300m*:

Furthermore, with overseas collapsing, profit is doubtful on Solo especially when factoring in an estimated production cost well north of $300M before P&A. 

*Budgets Deadline releases usually are after the tax rebates, not the gross budget. 

If Justice League, with same budget, gave $60m of loss (after others revenues) to Warner according to experts, even though it have done much more than Solo will do, I don't see how Solo will be "fine".

Now Ready Player One cost about the same amount of money as Justice League and that pic with a $657.9M global haul ($106M of that coming from China) didn’t profit with what our experts say was a $60M loss

http://deadline.com/2018/04/ready-player-one-steven-spielberg-opening-weekend-box-office-1202318581/

+: Yes, merchandising is great, but remember that not all revenue goes to Disney. Depending of deal, they receive an advance payment for each product and a % from sales. According this site, Disney would receive about 10% from sales:

"The newest movie due for release The Force Awakens, the first of six new releases, is believed to have a $5bn toy sale potential. The estimated $500m in licensing and royalty fees comes from a negotiated agreement which took place 3 years ago when they purchased Lucasfilm, the makers of Star Wars."

https://www.thegappartnership.com/za/Insights/News/Is-the-money-in-the-movie-or-the-merchandise

In 2016, the Star Wars toys were still the top brand, bring in $760 millions in sales.(...)

However, even the Star Wars toys were not doing so well in 2017, retail orders were down by 47% compared to a year ago, despite of the release of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi". 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/093015/how-exactly-do-movies-make-money.asp

That means $402.8m in sales (~$40.28m to Disney) in 2017. This year, sales will fall even more.

Merchandising is a two-way street. The products advertise the film and the film advertises the products. Disney has no costs with the products, for that reason the percentage is not large. 
So don't get too excited, thinking merchandising will save this flop.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is not the first time I see some people imply that the Dark Universe and the DCEU are about as successful, but it is always weird.

I'm a big defender of the DCU, but there is a point there: IMO, you have to adjust for the fact that the DCU characters - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman - are just far more culturally prominent than the dusty old monsters Universal was trying to revive with the DU. 

Yes, the DCU's actual performance is a lot better than critics (haters) around here credit it for, but let's face it: It should be doing a LOT better. I mean, while $230m DOM and $650m WW for Justice League is by no means a flop in absolute terms, there's no good reason it should get easily defeated by Thor III. A JL movie should do Avengers numbers. 

So from an asset management perspective, you can argue that the DCU has been managed poorly, like the moribund DU was. 

Edited by SteveJaros

Just now, That One Guy said:

Yeah I'm sorry but Solo ain't profiting lmao

Deadline tries to keep pushing the notion of people seeing it and telling their friends who didn't see it that they should go see it.

I fail to see this film as *that* special that it gets that kind of business.

• Like 1