CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

Just now, DAJK said:

3RD UPDATE, Saturday AM: Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom continues to improve, now looking at a $58.4M Friday –including last night’s $15.3M previews– and a $145.6M opening ahead of its projections and putting the dinosaur movie on better footing toward a $1 billion worldwide end game. That’s projecting that the sequel does around a 2.5 multiple for $300M stateside, with $500M from overseas and $200M from China, and the feeling is currently that is quite do-able.

Clearly an early sign of great legs. From $135m to $145m, a $10m increase before the wknd ends.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

3RD UPDATE, Saturday AM: Universal/Amblin’s Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom continues to improve, now looking at a $58.4M Friday –including last night’s $15.3M previews– and a $145.6M opening ahead of its projections and putting the dinosaur movie on better footing toward a $1 billion worldwide end game. That’s projecting that the sequel does around a 2.5 multiple for $300M stateside, with $500M from overseas and $200M from China, and the feeling is currently that is quite do-able.

not a bad increase from early estimates. Also not bad legs from its Thursday shows. Probably a solid few days ahead for it.

Crossed 200 in China this weekend.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

I've never worked a more hectic and busy shift in my life. Seriously. Yes a lot of it had to do with Jurassic going crazy tonight, like, absolutely insane.

But we did it with 2 of the 5 concession staff calling in sick and only 3 of us dealing with literally hundreds and hundreds of people. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

not a bad increase from early estimates. Also not bad legs from its Thursday shows. Probably a solid few days ahead for it.

Just like the 1st one, no much people passionately rushing to the theater to find out what happened, and they don't show eagerness to the franchise, eventually they still show up...because they know the franchise is coming....Typical advantage of monster flick.....People may not passionate on the brand, but they are interested. They tend to overperform than initial buzzz 

• Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

I've never worked a more hectic and busy shift in my life. Seriously. Yes a lot of it had to do with Jurassic going crazy tonight, like, absolutely insane.

But we did it with 2 of the 5 concession staff calling in sick and only 3 of us dealing with literally hundreds and hundreds of people. 

those were the days I lived for :D 

Ugh. 145 does nothing for me in either the summer game or debry. I need the to crash and burn like presales predicted (debry) or pick up the pace (summer games), thank you very much. #3ampriorities

• Sad 1

Deadline sure is throwing out a ton of excuses and "it's not that bad" explanations for Fallen Kingdom's disappointing opening weekend. Of course nobody thought it would match the first but a 145mil opening, although massive in raw numbers, is a disappointing opening to a film that opened with 208mil. It's not anywhere a flop like Solo but the numbers are solidly disappointing. And pretending to know the multi of a movie after just one and 1/3 day of numbers based on cinemascore is beyond silly.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Deadline sure is throwing out a ton of excuses and "it's not that bad" explanations for Fallen Kingdom's disappointing opening weekend. Of course nobody thought it would match the first but a 145mil opening, although massive in raw numbers, is a disappointing opening to a film that opened with 208mil. It's not anywhere a flop like Solo but the numbers are solidly disappointing. And pretending to know the multi of a movie after just one and 1/3 day of numbers based on cinemascore is beyond silly.

Dude that last part you wrote...? That’s what box office analysts do, is project future grosses based off the sample size we have. And some people on this site are really, really good at it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

so 2.5*146 is ~300 as per deadline. Deadline and maths - still a better love story than Twilight :P

2.6*146 = 380M should happen

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well, I mean, 145 isn’t great exactly for a sequel to a 208 opener, but it could have been a lot worse. This is one of those middle results that isn’t really going to do too much in terms of sparking crazy reactions.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

$15.3M

$43.1M

$48.1M

$39M

$145.5M OW.  Would be nearly spot on with my prediction in this thread

(Quick aside, I did originally have it at $145.5M but I changed it because of peer pressure 🤔)