CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

1 hour ago, miketheavenger said:

I still don't understand why some people actually thought JW: FK would open below $100m. This is not a CBM or a Star Wars movie where a lack of online hype is worrying. Jurassic Park is one of the most GA-friendly franchises around and it will most likely remain that way going forward. I remember three years ago nobody expected JW to beat AoU, much less breaking the OW record at the time. But it seems like people have learned nothing since then.

Well yeah but it's a direct sequel so that confused expectation regarding walk ups sincd presales weren't mindblowing.

Its clear JW is easily one of the most walk up friendly franchises out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Who besides me hates it here? This place is in love with it.

I think its a hugely overrated movie. Its hardly a horror movie either. Now A Quiet Place is excellent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

There are many films for which 145/375/1B would be incredibly dissapointing.    

Welcome to 2018, where numbers that used to be BIG aren’t necessarily anymore.

Disappointing to whom?  Just because us box office nerds think a film should do a certain number doesn't mean it's realistic.  There's a reason we are sitting here behind a computer and not in a board room green lighting a film.  I concede that yes there some films that a billion would be a disappointment, but they are far less than what you and I think they are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, miketheavenger said:

I still don't understand why some people actually thought JW: FK would open below $100m. This is not a CBM or a Star Wars movie where a lack of online hype is worrying. Jurassic Park is one of the most GA-friendly franchises around and it will most likely remain that way going forward. I remember three years ago nobody expected JW to beat AoU, much less breaking the OW record at the time. But it seems like people have learned nothing since then.

Because people predict with their hearts, not their brain.  Sometime.  

1 hour ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

The following is a miniature grammar rant

...if you have to use the syllables to give an acronym, you might as well just write the word out. God damn people write in acronyms way too much now. Always assuming everyone will know what they mean. IT TAKES LIKE TWO EXTRA SECONDS TO WRITE SHIT OUT. This and the increase in comma splices make me want to strangle people in charge of educating english speakers. I dont even consider myself uptight about grammar. I just think people make it needlessly difficult to understand what they're writing.

Well, there's nothing confusing about his post.  TF is Transformers, and he mentions Age of Extinction, JW is Jurassic World as it is the film opening this weekend and OS is overseas.  You have 75 posts, you'll pick it up the longer you spend here.  :) 

• Like 2

So for all the doom and gloom of the past week, Jurassic World has ended up with a really strong opening.

Incredibles 2 is looking at a relatively strong hold. Ocean's 8 is looking at a nice rebound from last weekend and Tag is on track for a solid $50M.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Quake said:

I think its a hugely overrated movie. Its hardly a horror movie either. Now A Quiet Place is excellent. 

I agree. I hate it.  But if you go to the Review section, I'd say at least 80% of the reviews are gushing over it.

• Like 1

Strong number for JW. Obviously it’s still a gigantic drop from the last one, but $$$$

Good for Incredibles as well.

Great holds for Ocean’s 8 and Deadpool. Lol @ Solo finally falling behind despite having the best Thursday hold

Hereditary got fucked by its Thursday drop.

Won’t You Be My Neighbor is looking at a PTA around $4,500. It’s still outpacing RBG by a good amount

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

I got a text from @Rthanos at 7:11 AM EST, and he said it could go as high as 60.  His number was 58.5-60.

So there is still hope it goes higher than DL's number.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 6
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I got a text from @Rthanos at 7:11 AM EST, and he said it could go as high as 60.  His number was 58.5-60.

So there is still hope it goes higher than DL's number.

At least this high number have justify the 4475 near-record breaking theater count.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scabab said:

JWFK is going to open significantly higher than people thought the original JW was going to open to so no it's not disappointing.

Black Panther 2 will see a similar drop.

Nah I think Black Panther 2 will open at least $170M. 

Numbers just keep getting better for Fallen Kingdom!

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Lesson Learned? You can't compare JW with SHMs and SW in terms of presales.

That's a great Friday for FK. 

A huge success for Universal. Forget the ridiculous opening by JW,it's another league and it alsways was in terms of appeal. 

Some people are too caught up in comparing it to JW, which massively overperformed.

Edited by nevermore

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

At least this high number have justify the 4475 near-record breaking theater count.

Despicable Me 3 still has the widest theater count ever with 4535 theaters....yet that film only opened at $72M. 😕

Ouch!

And why doesn’t other recent blockbuster movies expand their theater counts to beat DM3’s record? Are they not even trying? Lately there were no expansions but only drops for movies like IW, Deadpool 2 & Solo.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34