sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

3 minutes ago, Gamera said:

Isn't 61% really low for The Meg?

It's low for sure. Looking at the web archive, Rampage was at 80% on Friday. If The Meg released in a much busier timeframe, I'd be worrying about legs, but there's so little coming out the next few weeks. Legs will be fine

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

You mean Pacific Rim Uprising?

yes. i think the two contradictory factors when it comes to legs - 1) PRU was a sequel while Meg is not 2) PRU was in March while Meg is in preview heavy summer - cancel out each other, and it is a good comp.

EDIT: actually PR1's July multi gives 41 ow so that's a better comp than PR2. Consideirng previews have gotten bigger over the years since PR1, might do mid-high 30s.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Alli said:

The shallows did very good not long ago. The Meg is bigger in scope. it was bound to do good

It's got a massive budget so of course it was bound to do better.  But there were MANY MANY here who said it would or could open in the high teens.  That's not much higher than the Shallows.

From BOM:

Warner Bros.'s The Meg brought in $4 million from preview showings last night. This is well ahead of films such as 47 Meters Down and The Shallows and is actually $400k ahead of the $3.6 million Pacific Rim took in from preview showings back in July 2013 before opening with $37.2 million.

Sony's Slender Man took in $1 million from Thursday night previews in 2,109 locations. We are projecting $8M for the three-day weekend. The studio is anticipating an $8 million opening weekend.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's got a massive budget so of course it was bound to do better.  But there were MANY MANY here who said it would or could open in the high teens.  That's not much higher than the Shallows.

I thought high 20s and it's still too low. 40s is in play

the forum was very pessimistic about its prospects

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

directed by Jon is largely financed by China Gravity, which is releasing the pic in the Middle Kingdom, with Warner Bros. having a 40% exposure on the production that reportedly costs a net of $130M.

Nice of them to give us an idea of WB’s exposure on The Meg, I hoped they would. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Never underestimate for the power of WB's marketing, I think the tongue in cheek marketing really worked in its favour. 

WB is going to have two back to back number 1 films with this and Crazy Rich Asians,

Hell, they could lead for an entire month between the trifecta of The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians (which I'm beginning to think will threepeat at this point given how little is coming out and everything looking up for it), and The Nun.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I'm curious how many took this film in their top 15 in the summer game.  

The Meg (12/37) (4 backup)

bcf26: 130M

Baumer: 115M

The Panda: 108M

JJ-8: 96.8M

aabattery: 86.9M

kayumanggi: 85M

*Telemachos: 80M

Wrath: 78M

*Fancyarcher: 77M

ZeeSoh: 75M

*24Lost: 73M