sfran43

Weekend Thread: HTM heading for about 10 mill..CRA killing it with projected 4% drop

3 hours ago, Gameface said:

Hi Ladies and Gents.

As a box office freak, this forum is my favorite site, I just never comment because my shitty english.

But here we are, I brought some news I want to share, so our man Dwayne doesn't have to be entirely sad.

According to Movie City News, Rampage has passed the 100 million milestone.

http://moviecitynews.com/2018/08/the-weekend-report-298/

David Poland is a pos. I refuse to read that website.

Edited by KJsooner

Predictions for next weekend (All 3 day):

Crazy Rich Asians: 27M

The Meg: 13.5M

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: 8.5M

The Happytime Murders: 7.5M

Operation Finale: 7M (10M 5 day)

Christopher Robin: 6.9M

Mile 22: 6.2M

Alpha: 5.9M

BlacKkKlansman: 5.6M

Searching: 4.5M

Kin: 4M

A.X.L.: 3M

Fallout with that return to the top 3 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

32 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

David Poland is a pos. I refuse to read to read that site.

Thanks for the information 😉 I didn't know. But the Weekend Reports are by Leonard Klady, if that matters.

I visit the site only for the weekend reports, cause once in a while they publish the yearly domestic chart, which seems more accurate than mojo's (looks like they tracking the movies longer or they get numbers directly from the studios, dunno.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:07 AM, filmlover said:

Deadline is saying that Searching is looking at $300K for the weekend from 9 theaters while Papillon is looking at $1M from 544. That seems pretty good for the former (though that means nothing for its wide release next week) and expected for the latter given the meh reviews.

The term :remake nobody wanted gets tossed around a lot,but with Papillion  it' seems to be literally true.

So WB has 2 WE in a row with the top 2. That happened a very few times in history:

6 Weekend in a row:

PAR: in Feb/Marc 1985 (Beverly Hills Cop, Witness)

5 Weekend in a row:

PAR: in Dec/Jan 1986/1987  (Star Trek 4, The GOlden Child, Crocod Dund, Critical Cond)

UNI:  in Aug/Sep 1989: UNI (Uncle Buck, Parenthood, Sea of Love)

3 Weekend in a row:

Col/Sony: in Feb 1983: (Tootsie, Gandhi)

BV: in Jan 1988  ( Good Morning VIetnam, Three men and a baby)

WB: in Feb 1990 ( Driving Miss Daisy, Hard To Kill)

2 Weekend in a row:

UNI: Jul/Aug 1982  (ET, The Best little Whorehouse)

SONY/COL: in Dec 1982: Col (Tootsie, The Toy)

WB: in Mar 1984  (Police Academy, Greystoke)

BV: in Feb 1988:(Good Morning Vietnam, Shoot to kill)

BV: in Aug 1988: (Who framed RR, Cocktail)

WB: in July 1989: WB (Batman, Lethal Weapon 2

TRIS/SONY: in Nov 1989: (Look who's talking, The Bear)

WB: in Feb 1994 (Ace Ventura, On Deadly Ground)

UNI: in Januar 2014: (The Lone Survivor, Ride Along)

FOX in Feb 2016: (Deadpool and KFP3)

BV: in May 2016: (Cap3 and TJB)

WB: in Aug 2018 (CRA, Meg)

It has a very good chance in making 4 in a row. the first time since the '80ies

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That CRA drop is absolute lunacy. Greatest Showman is gonna look puny by comparision if this keeps pacing as it is.

And Goddammit, how wrong I was in thinking neither Hotel 3 or Equalizer 2 would make as much as their predecessors.

EDIT: And of course, there's someone on YouTube who is immediately discrediting CRA's drop by saying that "well, last week was a 5-day opening, so it's a bigger drop from opening than anyone's willing to report". Because of course the fact that CRA increased exponentially on its FSS compared to opening Wednesday and Thursday and that it made the vast, VAST bulk of its OW money during the 3 weekend days doesn't count for shit in acknowledging just how batshit that drop really is. My God, some people are clueless.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

50 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

By the way about WB late summer-fall run:

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

There are fourteen movies in November, eight of which come out in a five day span. EIGHT. Just put it limited in December and wide in January.

19 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

EDIT: And of course, there's someone on YouTube who is immediately discrediting CRA's drop by saying that "well, last week was a 5-day opening, so it's a bigger drop from opening than anyone's willing to report". Because of course the fact that CRA increased exponentially on its FSS compared to opening Wednesday and Thursday and that it made the vast, VAST bulk of its OW money during the 3 weekend days doesn't count for shit in acknowledging just how batshit that drop really is. My God, some people are clueless.

We all know or can guess who that person is

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

There are fourteen movies in November, eight of which come out in a five day span. EIGHT. Just put it limited in December and wide in January.

I'm guessing they want it ready by November so it can be shown at AFI Fest, it'll probably have a similar release to American Sniper and Gran Torino

32 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

That CRA drop is absolute lunacy. Greatest Showman is gonna look puny by comparision if this keeps pacing as it is.

And Goddammit, how wrong I was in thinking neither Hotel 3 or Equalizer 2 would make as much as their predecessors.

I was looking at smallest second weekend drops and most of them can be explained well by holidays or by the movie being really really good. The one that sticks out as the odd one out is Puss in Boots, neither a holiday nor something considered very very good

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

I was looking at smallest second weekend drops and most of them can be explained well by holidays or by the movie being really really good. The one that sticks out as the odd one out is Puss in Boots, neither a holiday nor something considered very very good

wasn't that a real last minute date change i remember it was supposed to open the first weekend of november for the longest time so idk maybe people didn't realize it was out or something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend (All 3 day):

Crazy Rich Asians: 27M

The Meg: 13.5M

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: 8.5M

The Happytime Murders: 7.5M

Operation Finale: 7M (10M 5 day)

Christopher Robin: 6.9M

Mile 22: 6.2M

Alpha: 5.9M

BlacKkKlansman: 5.6M

Searching: 4.5M

Kin: 4M

A.X.L.: 3M

Fallout with that return to the top 3 🤔

Too many increases imo. Especially since this weekend wasn't deflated like last year's. If TMNT '14 dropped 30% on its fourth weekend which was Labor Day why would The Meg increase? If RN dropped why would Fallout increase? If Pete's Dragon dropped why would CR increase? Don't even get me started with shit like Mile 22. If no one wants to see that on a regular weekend they won't suddenly wanna see it on a holiday one.