sfran43

Weekend Thread : Asgardian #'s on p.17 ~ 19.6M Saturday

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah. I’m sure the logo will be in front of the film despite not being in the trailers (though Klansman was produced by Blumhouse and didn’t have the logo)

I think it was after the credits, the logos appear although I'm not 100%. 

40 minutes ago, Nova said:

The most impressive studio for me this year has been Warner Bros. The trifecta of The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born is/was something else 

They've yet to have a $200m+ film as well. They're on course to break $1.5bn domestically for the 10th year in a row which is a very impressive streak for a studio,

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

They did ok before they bought Lucasfilm and Marvel. What with being the biggest entertainment name in the business. 

I’m sure they’ll do just fine. Sure, they’re milking that remake train with everything they’ve got - but never forget they are THE studio when it comes to animation. It’s their legacy and the reason they’re so beloved over not far off a century. 

Disney's biggest problem before they bought Marvel and Lucasfilm was that they couldn't attract males, things like Pirates, Tron and Narnia etc were ways for them to break into that demo and it was cheaper in the long run just to buy those companies than create original IP.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

DL number from earlier should be pretty much  about right for BR, NFR probably low end 6m

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Absolutely.  

Nutcracker headed to maybe $16m or so for the weekend.  

An RTH and EC siting on the same weekend. What a time to be alive! :ohmygod:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

I feel like The Nutcracker tanking is only going to push Disney even further into sticking with their current trend of live-action remakes based on their properties (since Nutcracker is a property that isn't mainly associated with them like all their other fairy tale stuff has been so far aside from Oz the Great and Powerful, although that was largely banking on nostalgia for the beloved 1939 movie). Who knows, maybe they'll even turn to sequels to the remakes, although Alice 2 flopped and Maleficent 2 might very well end up with the same fate.

Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse’s Halloween is also heading toward a $3M Friday and a third weekend of $9M, -71% and a running total of $148.4M. Also opening limited this weekend is Focus Features’ Boy Erased and Aviron Pictures’ A Private War.

Venom 3rd weekend was 18m and 4th weekend was 10.6m :

Oct 5–7 1 $80,255,756 - 4,250 - $18,884 $80,255,756 1
Oct 12–14 1 $35,006,107 -56.4% 4,250 - $8,237 $142,108,258 2
Oct 19–21 3 $18,043,887 -48.5% 3,887 -363 $4,642 $171,063,982 3
Oct 26–28 3 $10,652,381 -41.0% 3,567 -320 $2,986 $187,134,695 4

Halloween also lost the IMAX screens this weekend which it got last weekend and not during the OW. So the inflation followed by loosing screens after a post-Halloween (Wed) drop hurt it bigtime. Won't be surprised with a good recovery and a 40-45% drop next weekend.

Oct 19–21 1 $76,221,545 - 3,928 - $19,405 $76,221,545 1
Oct 26–28 1 $31,419,070 -58.8% 3,990 +62 $7,874 $126,075,470 2
                       $9,000,000   -71.4%                                                       

Edited by a2k

I feel like Maleficent 2 will way under perform just like Alice did. Maybe it will do a little better than that one though.

I don't see Halloween recovering in any real way. It will continue to lose screens and it was partly being propped up by October anyhow.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

An RTH and EC siting on the same weekend. What a time to be alive! :ohmygod:

It can only mean one thing. 

Time to watch the latest Gerard Butler masterpiece. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Look, expecting the big hits to cover the costs of your flops is how every studio operates.

Disney is not happy about Nutcracker, but I think they were pretty much expecting a flop; that they spent a lot less on marketing then they usually do tells you that.

Monday what went wrong with Nucrtacker will be hashed over and gone into heavily at Disney HQ;that is just Due Diligence;you always try to learn from your mistakes.

Every studio is going to have bombs ever year. It's all about the ratio of those to the successes.

In the end, what really matters is the overall Profit and Loss statement for a studio each year. I think Disney is probably going to be in good shape for that next January.

Now if MPR flops, it will be a different story........

No, the goal of a studio’s hits are too make them profit, not cover their flops.

4 hours ago, Nova said:

The most impressive studio for me this year has been Warner Bros. The trifecta of The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born is/was something else 

While those are certainly good hits, I couldn’t reasonably argue that trifecta beats Disney’s Black Panther, Infinity War, Incredibles 2 super-trifecta.  Sure those are superhero movies, but they still delivered 3 600m+ hits in the span of 5 months (and 4 in 7 months when you add in TLJ).  That’s a hot streak right there.

• Like 6