baumer

Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)

Grade it  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I liked it decently enough, but it lacks the spark and charm that other WDAS films this decade had. The internet stuff ranged from clever and amusing, but I’d be lying if I said there weren’t parts that made me cringe slightly, namely the hardcore product placement. (The film is essentially an eBay commercial.)

Also needed more Taraji than we got.

B

• Like 1

I think everyone's going to overlook the strong and important moral to talk about ad placement and if it'll be dated in six month's time, but none of that bothered me at all.

I found Vanellope's song more hamfisted and self-referential to the Mouse House than anything else.

Loved it more than the first one. Also was the only one who got the Jason Mantzoukas cameo in my theater and laughed.

A- 

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

I'll have more to say in a full review later, but for now: THE PRINCESSES!!!!!!!!

I mistakenly assumed that the advertising was giving away too much of that gag; suffice to say I was wrong. I never knew I wanted or needed a scene with the Disney princesses (plus Merida - loved the Pixar joke) sitting around in reference-laden loungeware deconstructing their classic tropes.

I thought it started out fairly amusing, but definitely a step down from the first.  Then about halfway through (when Vanellope goes to Disney) the film picks up and matches the highs of previous WDAS movies.

The Ralph-Vanellope “Break Up” at the end was pretty heartbreaking and funny.  The movie has a pretty solid moral heart to it, and has a healthy message about secure relationships.

I also loved the slaughter race song, high point of the movie imo from a comedic standpoint.  The self-criticism by WDAS was spot on, and didn’t feel entirely hamfisted in.

Probably not at the top of the animation chart this year, compared to Incredibles 2, but WBTI certainly wins the emotional and moral message race there.

B+

Edited by PANDA

On par with the first Wreck-It Ralph for me. These movies aren't among Disney's best IMO but they're hilarious, exciting, sweet, colorful, and clever. And it doesn't at all feel like a commercial despite all the product placement on display: the movie has so many sight gags and cameos (especially in the Disney section; that princess scene was still uproarious despite being all over the marketing) that repeat viewings are bound to be rewarding. B+

The product placement doesnt bother me.  Like the movie is about them going to the Internet, not using a few well known sites would seem off and the first movie used a mix of real and fake properties as well. 

They had some clever parody brands.  And some of the gags are definitely funnier with real brands (like the Fortnite bit for video game walkthroughs).

Still upset that there’s a separation at the end between Ralph and Vanellope, even if it did make for an impactful ending.

• Like 2

Much like its predecessor, Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 is an eminently enjoyable and surprisingly heartfelt adventure likely to please viewers from a wide swath of different demographics. It admittedly has a thin story and needs to manufacture conflict to get a third act, but it more than makes up for the simplicity of its plot with clever humor, astute observations about the values and hollowness of online life, and continued poignancy in the relationship between Ralph and Vanellope. The visual humor and self-referential gags fly at such speed that one viewing hardly feels sufficient to catch and appreciate all of them, and their success rate is high enough to keep the film from feeling like an overly-self-satisfied piece of corporate synergy. In particular, the Disney princess scenes featured heavily in the advertisements feel fresh and have satisfying payoff that is not given away in any of the promotional material. The use of the internet as a setting removes the film from the video game culture it felt so connected with the first time around (though many of those characters still get cameo appearances here), but the script gets and does a stellar job of portraying the easy potential for online overstimulation, the genuine bonds that can spring up between strangers (as demonstrated through the Slaughter Race subplot), and the ways in which online activity changes relationship dynamics between individuals who know each other offline. Through it all, the busy nature of the setting does not displace the central relationship between John C. Reilly’s Ralph and Sarah Silverman’s Vanellope, which remains as heartfelt as it was in the first film. It doesn’t quite ascend to the level of the revitalized Disney Animation Studios’ recent successes like Zootopia or Moana, but it’s a worthy sequel with such a high volume of entertaining material that it’s tough to resist.

B+

• Like 1

I didn't think the story here was quite as good as the first film, but this one hit me the hardest out of any movie I've seen in recent memory. I was a bawling mess by the end of it. Otherwise, a great time at the theatre (even if it is one of WDAS's weaker offerings in a while), and I appreciate them trying out something different with this sequel, and it makes me excited to see what's in store for Frozen 2, or a Disney Princess team-up.

A-

• Like 1

Pretty bad. 

I loved the first and was hyped for the Princesses, and pretty much they are the only thing that this movie delivers. 

I get that it's called Ralph, but Vanellope deserved to be the star and she really wasn't despite the story desperately trying to make her one. The feminist themes fall pretty flat and Ralph is not only at Mater levels of intelligence this time round, but his friendship is so cringeworthy. 

Disappointing.

• Like 1

I didn't like the movie too much. It is alright, but one major problem is both Vanellope and Ralph come across as jackasses and as they lose what likeablity they have in the first movie. Ralph is so aggravatingly stupid  when he decides to let a virus enter Slaughter Race without even considering the repercussions and when he is aware of what Turbo did when he fucked over two arcade games in the first movie. 

Vanellope goes and just decides to abandon her friends and family at the arcade without even considering what being a NPC on Shank's crew might mean or without understanding much of the game itself. Nor does she try to say goodbye to everyone at the arcade. She makes this super rash life changing choice All of this for a game she just spent maybe an hour at most.

Anyway the movie is pretty colorful and some of the scenes are very fun like slaugher race driving scene. Soo i guess i give it a C

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

55 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I didn't like the movie too much. It is alright, but one major problem is both Vanellope and Ralph come across as jackasses and as they lose what likeablity they have in the first movie. Ralph is so aggravatingly stupid  when he decides to let a virus enter Slaughter Race without even considering the repercussions and when he is aware of what Turbo did when he fucked over two arcade games in the first movie. 

Vanellope goes and just decides to abandon her friends and family at the arcade without even considering what being a NPC on Shank's crew might mean or without understanding much of the game itself. Nor does she try to say goodbye to everyone at the arcade. She makes this super rash life changing choice All of this for a game she just spent maybe an hour at most.

Anyway the movie is pretty colorful and some of the scenes are very fun like slaugher race driving scene. Soo i guess i give it a C

Vanellope's a child. Albeit, an eternal child, but a child. I do agree that Ralph was really stupid and can see how people aren't so hot on that.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:54 AM, BK007 said:

Pretty bad. 

I loved the first and was hyped for the Princesses, and pretty much they are the only thing that this movie delivers. 

I get that it's called Ralph, but Vanellope deserved to be the star and she really wasn't despite the story desperately trying to make her one. The feminist themes fall pretty flat and Ralph is not only at Mater levels of intelligence this time round, but his friendship is so cringeworthy. 

Disappointing.

Unfortunately, truth is nothing less than that.

The character of Ralph was denaturated, the friendship about the two characters turned into something pathetic. The ending message was verbose and way too explicit, part of a prolix scene that never works. An old rule, which I found in every cineforum, to separate good films from standard products is to focus on the moral of the film: when this is implicit or at most only hinted at, it's okay; when it is explicit and hammered then we are dealing with a DTV product. Ralph 2 clearly belongs to the second category.

Also, this is an instant-movie. Disney should be making classics, not "zeitgeist films" where some character turned into an idiot by a bad script does some unfunny rubbish to get lots of 'likes' on Youtube.

I acutally liked this one waaaaay more than the first one. The first one I watched and really thought it was eh, way overrated. I gave it a C+.

The second one I thought was way more funny and a better overall cooler concept. I loved the imagination of how they tackled to represent the internet. Sure, the "bad guy" at the end was dumb in my opinion, waaaaay over the top. But before that it was a really fun movie to watch. I absolutely loved the princesses every time they appeared. A-