That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Universal probably wishes it closed up shop for the holidays after THE GRINCH. MORTAL ENGINES fell off the edge of the world, dropping -77% in its 2nd week, hauling in just $1.7M, $12M total. It's not just the biggest bomb of 2018, it might be the biggest bomb of the decade.

Not sure if already posted. Such situations make me sad a bit, even if not interested into the movies/material.

It's a disaster, but it's doing enough money OS to avoid the "worst bomb of the decade" moniker. IIRC it will open in China, too. Can see it limping past 100M WW. If it somehow does a bit better (say China or Japan take to it) might end up losing less money than Solo.

The concept was way out there for the GA to buy into it, and the books aren't that famous. It screams "you shouldn't spend 100m doing this".

Their best market is Russia, Russians do love bizarre sci-fi extravaganzas.

Edited by Celedhring

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I quite enjoyed Mortal Engines.  Shame that it’s flopping.

it looks appealing too despite being such an unorthodox film.

the ratios of ME vs everything else in the top 15 is appalling.  How did it end up with such vacancy in week #2?

however, when you make a very expensive film about a city on wheels, well.....  that's what happens!

• Like 1

MP should increase in the second weekend though.  

But what will the societal wave look like next week compared to last week?

The wave after the election was subpar, but the wave after the presidential election was huge with Trolls + more.

It seems Thanksgiving had a good one this year, and the weekends after.... THE GRINCH held amazing.

So will the government shutdown help direct cars to the theater?  Where and when is human will lurking and when will crowded restaurants become crowded theaters for the holdovers?  Maybe it will be January, and the dire spots on the schedule will be strongest for some of the smaller January films, while the December mammoths shed theaters.  Ride Along scored well, and the regular January horror movies do well too.  Venom rode the wave, Halloween was lightning in a bottle w/ the title popping up on phones.

There is so much good shit on Netflix, so maybe the box office is officially broken.  Until it isn't anymore, and that could be for some random commercial films.  China seems to follow this up and down pattern well with fun American imports.  Avatar 2 will have to see a good year too in the world to "see more of the iceberg" for its box office.  Not much of the iceberg was shown now with Mary Poppins, but that dress might lift a little since the #s are so small.  Approx ~ 200 purchases per theater per day over the next 10 days or so looking to be a max # for Poppins.  That is close to Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim ~ 240 purchases per on OD Friday, a light fanbase response.  I think MP suffers from the etiquette behind the character and how that politeness could accidentally trigger prejudices and might direct one to steer away from MP generational appeal and see other Awards Circuit movies.  🐤  It could be a divisive film, and those that are in love with it makes the frowns sour.  But people like to have friends and these interactive features should be delightful as well as human vs first person nature and directing/finding oneself in order to complete tasks like reversing entropy to satisfy and then rest.  

Edited by nature league
  • ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I really wish MoviePass was still around, just to see if this floppage would have still been a thing. I believe at least Poppins would be doing 2x as much (or would it?).

MoviePass had a few million users at its peak. It would add, if we are being ridiculously generous, like 30m to a movies gross. I really think some BOT users exaggerate how big of an impact that company had. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, aabattery said:

MoviePass had a few million users at its peak. It would add, if we are being ridiculously generous, like 30m to a movies gross. I really think some BOT users exaggerate how big of an impact that company had. 

I mean, it's possible that such would be the case, but I really feel like the box office was healthier when it was around. I just can't see a Jumanji or a TGS hitting the legs they had without that kind of support (I know they had ridiculous wom, but that kind of staying power is abnormal and probably had many other outside elements, one of them being MoviePass). Nevermind many mid range movies which probably did better than they would without it. I don't know, maybe I'm being ignorant, but I would've liked to have seen if it really would've made a difference.

Edited by MCKillswitch123