grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's still pretty anecdotal. Not sure how you go from one guy's kids loves Ghostbusters 2016 to lots of kids love Ghostbusters 2016. 

Works in the exact same way as anecdotal “left a bad taste, damage from the last film” etc. 

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not anecdotal. We know the reception to the last one was middling at best from things like cinemascore and posttrak. 

It scored best with Under 25’s and under 18’s (A-). I honestly don’t think it’s as badly received by younger audiences as people think. It’s home video sales look great and it had the biggest debut on sky movies here of any of the films released in 2016. 

We’ll see what this new one does in November. $46m is the number to beat. 

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It scored best with Under 25’s and under 18’s (A-). I honestly don’t think it’s as badly received by younger audiences as people think. It’s home video sales look great and it had the biggest debut on sky movies here of any of the films released in 2016. 

We’ll see what this new one does in November. $46m is the number to beat. 

It's home video sales weren't great though. It was the 24th highest selling Blu Ray of 2016 and didn't even crack 1M units sold.

https://m.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2016

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's home video sales weren't great though. It was the 24th highest selling Blu Ray of 2016 and didn't even crack 1M units sold.

https://m.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2016

That’s bluray only, add in the DVDs and the total was 1,624,186 according to that website. 20th of the year in the combined chart. 

Not sure if that’s been updated in a few years though. 

The 2016 reboot is a good movie, have problems but it works well overall. It actually was well reviewed from what i remember.

The hate towards it was atrocious back in 2016 and it remains awful, especially when everyone knows that a huge part of the problems with the movie comes from sexism.

The reception wasn't even that bad, despite all the negative press and online hate the movie opened well, get nearly 3x multiplier and someone just said younger people give it an A- on Cinemascore, which is fine. But still we have this impression that this movie was a total disaster that everyone hates because the narrative surrounding it keeps strong until today.

The new movie seems cool too, i'm curious to watch it. This time probably there won't be any backlash since they will deliver what people expect from it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The 2016 reboot is a good movie, have problems but it works well overall. It actually was well reviewed from what i remember.

The hate towards it was atrocious back in 2016 and it remains awful, especially when everyone knows that a huge part of the problems with the movie comes from sexism.

The reception wasn't even that bad, despite all the negative press and online hate the movie opened well, get nearly 3x multiplier and someone just said younger people give it an A- on Cinemascore, which is fine. But still we have this impression that this movie was a total disaster that everyone hates because the narrative surrounding it keeps strong until today.

The new movie seems cool too, i'm curious to watch it. This time probably there won't be any backlash since they will deliver what people expect from it.

The movie was a flop, it had a huge cast, was based on a popular IP and only made 229m off a 144m budget. People didn't dislike it because they were sexist, they disliked it because it was shit and unfunny. It was a poor decision to gender swap. Go to any marketing campaign and they will tell you that action comedies are primarily targeted towards males (obviously there are a few exceptions) so there was no surprise that it flopped. The gender swapping Hollywood have been doing lately has led to box office failures with films like What Men Want, Bad Neighbours 2, Bumblebee and this, when will they learn? Who makes a film about transforming cars that blow shit up and tries targeting females? Know your audience.

The reviews may have been strong at the time but that was probably due to all the controversy surrounding it's release. The general consensus from the general public didn't seem to be positive at all and I don't think it's fair to blame people for that, it was just a shit movie

Edited by Chicago

18 minutes ago, Chicago said:

The movie was a flop, it had a huge cast, was based on a popular IP and only made 229m off a 144m budget. People didn't dislike it because they were sexist, they disliked it because it was shit and unfunny. It was a poor decision to gender swap. Go to any marketing campaign and they will tell you that action comedies are primarily targeted towards males (obviously there are a few exceptions) so there was no surprise that it flopped. The gender swapping Hollywood have been doing lately has led to box office failures with films like What Men Want, Bad Neighbours 2, Bumblebee and this, when will they learn? Who makes a film about transforming cars that blow shit up and tries targeting females? Know your audience.

The reviews may have been strong at the time but that was probably due to all the controversy surrounding it's release. The general consensus from the general public didn't seem to be positive at all and I don't think it's fair to blame people for that, it was just a shit movie

There was a tremendous level of vitriol specifically because they gender swapped the film, go back to all the hate the stars were receiving on social media or the comments on the trailers to see that. Whether the film is to your taste is irrelevant, there was a huge amount of toxicity around that film. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

There was a tremendous level of vitriol specifically because they gender swapped the film, go back to all the hate the stars were receiving on social media or the comments on the trailers to see that. Whether the film is to your taste is irrelevant, there was a huge amount of toxicity around that film. 

I don't really care about hate on YouTube comments or social media, I mean most people are hateful in comment sections as it is lol. The fact is it was a complete misfire, regardless of the toxicity around the film. No-one deserves abuse over a bad movie but it's still safe to say the gender swap was a stupid idea financially. It wasn't in line with my taste or most of the publics and I'd say that's very relevant when you're spending 144m on a movie before advertising.

Edited by Chicago

17 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not anecdotal. We know the reception to the last one was middling at best from things like cinemascore and posttrak. 

I do think the last movie may have alread hampered what this could have been making. A bit like how Suicide Squad ruined it for TSS

3 hours ago, Chicago said:

I didn't said everyone who dislike it is sexist, just a big part on the release, and sorry but it's true.

You can't make revisionism about what happen with this movie because everything is well documented. Yeah, people is hateful on social media, but the teaser for the 2016 version was the most disliked video ever on the platform back then, it have 300k likes and absurd 1.1M dislikes, and is because they're woman since there's nothing particulally ofensive on that video, is a fact. Despite B+ on Cinemascore (A- from the young people), this have 49% from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes. If you go to IMDB and breakdown the score, Males give it a 4.9 while woman give it 6.7 overall.

You can personally think this is shit for whatever reason, didn't change the fact that this movie suffered with sexism and mysoginism. Similar situation to Captain Marvel, but this one have Marvel brand to balance it. 

And yes the worldwide box office for the 2016 movie was bad, mostly because OS numbers are terrible, DOM was decent both OW and legs.

And also, the fact that Hollywood make action comedy focusing only in male audience is another problem of the industry, not an excuse, this shouldn't be normal. And also Bumblebee wasn't a flop when it make almost 500M on a 130M budget, it was very well received and have great legs, yeah could be better but it came from lots of bad Transformers movies including the 5th one which was indeed a box office disaster and hurt Bumblebee.

But anyway this is an old movie, back on topic, i think this new movie will have a better fate, let's see in November, if is that good they should put more effort on marketing.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I didn't said everyone who dislike it is sexist, just a big part on the release, and sorry but it's true.

You can't make revisionism about what happen with this movie because everything is well documented. Yeah, people is hateful on social media, but the teaser for the 2016 version was the most disliked video ever on the platform back then, it have 300k likes and absurd 1.1M dislikes, and is because they're woman since there's nothing particulally ofensive on that video, is a fact. Despite B+ on Cinemascore (A- from the young people), this have 49% from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes. If you go to IMDB and breakdown the score, Males give it a 4.9 while woman give it 6.7 overall.

You can personally think this is shit for whatever reason, didn't change the fact that this movie suffered with sexism and mysoginism. Similar situation to Captain Marvel, but this one have Marvel brand to balance it. 

And yes the worldwide box office for the 2016 movie was bad, mostly because OS numbers are terrible, DOM was decent both OW and legs.

And also, the fact that Hollywood make action comedy focusing only in male audience is another problem of the industry, not an excuse, this shouldn't be normal. And also Bumblebee wasn't a flop when it make almost 500M on a 130M budget, it was very well received and have great legs, yeah could be better but it came from lots of bad Transformers movies including the 5th one which was indeed a box office disaster and hurt Bumblebee.

But anyway this is an old movie, back on topic, i think this new movie will have a better fate, let's see in November, if is that good they should put more effort on marketing.

1m dislikes in a teaser is petty. I just rewatched the teaser and they didn't even show any cast members so yeah I guess in a population of 8billion, we have 1m saddos with tiny pecker syndrome who use their downvote to highlight their sexist views. I didn't realise Captain Marvel had too but she got the last laugh with that gross. 

The main trailers problem for me was the lack of any sort of nostalgia. It looked like it was a pisstake of the older movies rather than a homage. The CGI was bad and I did think the characters seemed out of place and I'm a big fan of half the cast (mainly Wig and Melissa). The humour was off and we know how funny these people are in other movies so it's not their fault. But yeah it did achieve a surprisingly strong multiplier in the US compared to everywhere else but a Ghostbusters reboot could have opened to double the 2016 version if done right imo. 

I didn't realise Bumblebee made that much overseas, definitely not a flop. I will say however, had Michael Bay directed a movie worthy of 90% on RT, do you think it would have made more than 500m? Bumblebee had to be a really good movie to make what it did whilst those Bay movies were making so much money despite being shit. I know what you mean, from a viewers point of view, studios should make more female led action movies but from a business point of view it's far riskier. Marvel have nailed it by building a brand so big they have a locked in audience allowing them to do what they want, and they are leading the way in offering more diversity. For studios without that security it's riskier on a high budget. Saying that my Mrs will pick an action movie over a rom-com 

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

I watched a bit of the 2016 effort but couldn't stomach the whole thing. It barely had a script - something Feig actively bragged about on the promo trail but clearly didn't pay off as he intended.

Bingo.  The script was the big issue, not the cast.  It meandered with a bunch of improv skits strung together - more miss than hit and those that hit usually overstayed their welcome.  It was loose and sloppy and worse frightfully unfunny for a group of funny actors with a tried and true fun concept. 

• Like 1