filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

why shouldn't it be eligible?

i'm probably busting your balls too much here but i guess i should make it clear i'm talking my own personal standard for "original" score and it takes too many cues from both the songs (which i know you think is bullshit) and the original themes from the first Mary Poppins. I'll admit it's probably a dumb comment to make when John Williams has been 2 for 2 on new Star Wars movies lol

(it's probably just repressed annoyance at creed's soundtrack being disqualified)

plenty  of music takes cues from other music. What matters is what you do with it.

Still bothers me to this day that Love & Mercy score was not eligible for awards for that year. what a terrific soundscape atticus ross created.

• Like 1

I've had a thought about Animated Feature.

You guys probably remember the Oscars for the 2013 films, when it was reported that people were voting for Frozen because that was the film that their children liked. So that might mean the film voters' children like the most has an excellent shot at influencing the winner of this category.

So which animated film would the children prefer? That's what it comes down to for this portion of the voting body.

Now, let's talk about recency bias. The kids might be aware of other films like Incredibles 2 and Wreck-It Ralph 2. But they're not going to be aware of a concept known as recency bias. Therefore, they are more susceptible to that specific kind of bias.

And what was the most recent animated film?

Spider-Verse: Into The Spider-Verse.

Not only that, but with its status as a superhero film, as well as one of the most colorful, funniest, and visually pleasing films of the year, I have a hard time believing that the majority of Oscar voters' children would be telling their parents to vote for any film other than Spider-Verse.

So besides the people that actually care about Animation--there's probably more of those people in the Academy than we're giving them credit for if they manage to nominate foreign/indie features even after the voting change--I think we have another set of voters that have a high likelihood of voting for Spider-Verse.

But of course, don't take that as a signal to stop making your voice be heard if you want Spider-Verse be the winner. By all means, be a part of the loud message that tells the Academy who the people want to see win Animated Feature. Black Panther's Best Picture nomination is proof that the Academy is willing to listen to, and take into account, the pleas of the people. And remain optimistic! There's no reason to believe Spider-Verse doesn't have a chance!

• Like 1

Very happy for A Star Is Born, fully deserves its 8 nominations. A shame about Bradley being snubbed. 

Amazing for Melissa McCarthy and Richard Grant in Can You Ever Forgive Me? Both incredibly well deserved. 

I didnt like The Favourite. Plus Olivia Colman was a supporting character, Emma Stone was the lead. I can see why studio put them forward in reverse though. 

Toni Collette and Hereditary snubbed. 

I do wonder, what if they had switched TF actresses categories and pushed Stone and Weisz for lead and Colman for supporting.

People would still bitch about category fraud, but Colman would have it locked and Stone and Weisz would probably still had been nominated given their previous winner status (+ obviously great performance)

Now Colman will lose and the girls will split votes so they're not even in the running. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Bryan Singer removed his BR posts from Instagram , trying not to hurt Oscar chances?

You just know the reason Malek and the rest of the cast and crew have been mum on the whole controversy is because they've been told Fox to do so. They want to focus to remain on the movie.