sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

37 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's fantastic for HTTYD3 considering the second's underwhelming performance and what a movie like LEGO 2 just opened to coming off a huge predecessor. Further supports my theory that if you release an animated sequel more than 3 years after the first it's a tough sell, but get near the decade mark or so and you start having big nostalgia appeal (geez, can't believe HTTYD1 is almost a decade old). 

Don't give WB ideas or we might see The Lego Movie 3 in 2024!

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Don't give WB ideas or we might see The Lego Movie 3 in 2024!

I think as sad as I am to admit, I think the Lego franchise is done and wouldn’t be as relevant.

On a side note, a live action HTTYD remake would probably be big.

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think as sad as I am to admit, I think the Lego franchise is done and wouldn’t be as relevant.

On a side note, a live action HTTYD remake would probably be big.

I don't see Universal doing HTTYD as a live action film just yet, probably give it 10-15 years, live action Shrek however could happen a lot sooner. 

Pure Friday is looking like $12.5-12.75mn for HTTYD3. Including $3mn previews around $15.75mn Approx opening day.

Though I am not sure, but taking KF3 weekend dailies, I get Saturday at $22mn and $15.5mn Sunday. 

That gives $53.25mn Weekend.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Alita looks like $2.5mn using the most leniant comp I have. Again like LEGO 2 it's just way too low.

All I can see it doing is $9.5mn weekend from this point of time.

That's simply unbelievable but what to do? That's what numbers are showing. 

Could be some problem with numbers and may be that's why Deadline didn't shared the Friday for these 2. Most likely it will be sorted by evening (I mean your morning).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Why is Box Office Mojo ignoring The Wandering Earth in the Top Worldwide 2019 rank? They refuse to accept the biggest movie of the year in the whole world is not from America.

Great point.

But maybe BOM wanted to honor Glass a few more days, for those who predicted a flop!

19 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Alita looks like $2.5mn using the most leniant comp I have. Again like LEGO 2 it's just way too low.

Could be some problem with numbers and may be that's why Deadline didn't shared the Friday for these 2. Most likely it will be sorted by evening (I mean your morning).

Last weekend was a huge movie going weekend, so all of the movies probably inflated their grosses...

I mean, you had Valentine's Day dating all weekend plus a 3 day holiday...so, this weekend was tailor made to be ugly for all the holdovers...

20 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

If Alita is $2.5M and Lego is $1.6M...they could conceivably switch places by the end of the 3 day weekend, since Lego should have the much better Saturday bump and Sunday hold, even with HTTYD2 opening...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Last weekend was a huge movie going weekend, so all of the movies probably inflated their grosses...

I mean, you had Valentine's Day dating all weekend plus a 3 day holiday...so, this weekend was tailor made to be ugly for all the holdovers...

I can see that, but what is not making up is that Thursday was $1.6mn for Alita, it should be around $3.5mn Friday at least. 

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

I can see that, but what is not making up is that Thursday was $1.6mn for Alita, it should be around $3.5mn Friday at least. 

Prebuys for the pre-opening ticket deals would have only been available til Thursday (that was the last day I could use my $4 ticket).

Plus, HTTYD3 is obviously playing well into the teen and young adult audience...and that is obviously a large slice of Alita's audience...

And Alita lost some of its premium screens...not all of them, but enough to hurt...

And it's a continuation of the "moving going" public numbers just being down...if HTTYD3 is getting the vast majority of the "normal goers", they aren't around going to anything else.  It could be a case of HTTYD3 not "expanding" the market, but just sucking up almost all of what's there (like the subscriber services around)...