sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

26 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Alita looks like $2.5mn using the most leniant comp I have. Again like LEGO 2 it's just way too low.

All I can see it doing is $9.5mn weekend from this point of time.

That's simply unbelievable but what to do? That's what numbers are showing. 

Could be some problem with numbers and may be that's why Deadline didn't shared the Friday for these 2. Most likely it will be sorted by evening (I mean your morning).

That’d be a sub-100% increase for Alita. That’s Gods of Egypt territory.

If those Friday numbers hold, 100M DOM seems out of reach, and a sequel increasingly imperiled. HTTYD3 doing strong but not a breakout. Just two more weeks until the BO finally comes alive again in a big way, will be great to have Charlie around for that weekend.

Edited by Thanos Legion

12 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

If those Friday numbers hold, 100M DOM seems out of reach, and a sequel increasingly imperiled. HTTYD3 doing strong but not a breakout. Just two more weeks until the BO finally comes alive again in a big way, will be great to have Charlie around for that weekend.

Indeed, but I also wonder if @Rthanos will make a rare appearance. Was he around for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think as sad as I am to admit, I think the Lego franchise is done and wouldn’t be as relevant.

On a side note, a live action HTTYD remake would probably be big.

I mean that's just Game of Thrones but only the dragon parts. lmao

15 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Of course. Right now I have to rely on some other friend for data, we are setting up a system to get data first hand by then.

I am not that into the US tracking for Hollywood films because I started this basically for Indian films, so by then I will have better intel as well.

• Like 2

So it seems like Alita is pretty much another Pacific Rim situation. (Which is another film I loved). At least I got a sequel to Pacific Rim (that I also loved), I really hope Cameron’s leverage can convince Disney and Fox to green light just one sequel. Either way, I fully expect there to be a sequel, even if it takes thirty or so years, like with cult clasics Tron and Blade Runner. 

I am always wary of so-called weekend estimates when a projected Friday gross isn't provided.

When a Friday gross is provided, it seems more likely to me that they have actual data from Friday, and I can assess whether their projected internal multiplier for the weekend is a good projection or not. Often, Deadline and elsewhere just don't have the requisite box office knowledge/skill.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Friday Estimates (+/- 3%)

HTTYD 3: $16.5mn

Alita: Battle Angel: $2.85mn

Fighting With My Family: $2.2mn

LEGO Movie 2: $2.05mn

Isn't it Romantic: $1.95mn

What Men Want: $1.35mn

Is that the true friday for HTTYD and Fighting or with the previews included?

21 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

So it seems like Alita is pretty much another Pacific Rim situation. (Which is another film I loved). At least I got a sequel to Pacific Rim (that I also loved), I really hope Cameron’s leverage can convince Disney and Fox to green light just one sequel. Either way, I fully expect there to be a sequel, even if it takes thirty or so years, like with cult clasics Tron and Blade Runner. 

maybe they make a Disney + series of Alita

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If Dragon gets to the mid 50’s, I think it has a chance at $200M.

Definitely. Wonder Park looks like it will flop big time. It won't have any effect on it whatsoever. Other than Captain Marvel, I can't see anything hurting it until Avengers: Endgame.

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

maybe they make a Disney + series of Alita

No joke I would actually prefer that to movie sequels, IF they were willing to commit to a budget where the effects were still solid. I prefer longer form mediums in general, and it would help with some of the pacing troubles that can come from adapting a manga into just 2 hour chunks.