Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

ah but they showed up after weeks of raging, rampaging, review-bombing and vowing they wouldn't. :hahaha:

how do you know the people who watched captain marvel are the same people who said they wouldn't/?

28 minutes ago, boyamama said:

please.......WW projection only 65M...the WoM make it into 100M.....and btw with lower budget...

That was one month out though one outlier projector had it at $105. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wonder-woman-lasso-100-million-plus-opening-dc-130057874.html

The majority of independent trackers have set a domestic opening weekend in the $65 million range — while one outlying service projects a whopping $105 million debut.

By the week before & opening week only WB was saying $65 and even they had it in a $65-$75m range.  Most trackers had it doing $90m+

https://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-captain-underpants-weekend-box-office-opening-1202106462/

Warner Bros had Wonder Woman estimated at a weekend opening of $65M-$75M, while tracking has been more aggressive suggesting a $90M three-day

https://deadline.com/2017/05/wonder-woman-box-office-opening-worldwide-projection-gal-gadot-1202104439/

Wonder Woman‘s estimate has the power to go much higher, perhaps north of $90M according to other tracking services, that is if she can maintain a strong Rotten Tomatoes score.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ent said:

It will be interesting to see how high an R rated Black Widow movie would open to.

Also, i wish Marvel would have considered making a Peggy Parker with the original SHIELD cinematic version sooner, rather than a TV serie.

Kevin Feigi already said Black Widow (2020) is not going to be a R rated movie.

36 minutes ago, Alli said:

yep. I can't believe WW opened to "only" 100M. This shows the power of the MCU brand. they helped an unknown character open to 153M. an astonishing number

To be fair, I think WW got the short end of the stick in that general audiences felt burned by the DCEU and thus didn't bother to go out and watch it, in a way that they did for other DCEU movies on OW. It's legs though showed that once word caught on people went out and watched it. The movie ended up making $412.5M off a $103M opening. 

• Like 10

Despite an OW 7M higher than GOTG2, the official estimates peg Captain Marvel's Sunday as 0.5M under GOTG2's Sunday.

Interesting.

If CM has the same drop as GOTG2 with actuals, that would result in a 40.4M Sunday and $155M week-end

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't buy that explanation tbh. I think CM succeeded in its own right thanks to MCU selling it like never-seen-before event despite WW getting there first. CM hype completely obliterated WW. It was as if WW never happened. I mean, look at CM OS. in 3-4 days it made only 100M less than WW's OS lifetime. that has nothing to do with WW appetizer. CM simply appealed more whether because people liked previews better or have such trust in MCU. but make no mistake, this would happen without WW because, as I already said, they managed to hype CM as the most important event for women.

Nah, if it had opened outside the IW/EG storyline, it would have got AM numbers. The fandango survey pretty much proved that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

To be fair, I think WW got the short end of the stick in that general audiences felt burned by the DCEU and thus didn't bother to go out and watch it, in a way that they did for other DCEU movies on OW. It's legs though showed that once word caught on people went out and watched it. The movie ended up making $412.5M off a $103M opening. 

yeah, definitely. mojo's down atm so can't check but I can't think of any other films ever that opened to over 100M and had a 4x multi.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Despite an OW 7M higher than GOTG2, the official estimates peg Captain Marvel's Sunday as 0.5M under GOTG2's Sunday.

Interesting.

If CM has the same drop as GOTG2 with actuals, that would result in a 40.4M Sunday and $155M week-end

We are that point in time of the year where Disney has begun underestimating its Sundays and thus actuals for their movies go up by like $2M+. If this didn't happen then the movie wouldn't be a Disney release. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Interesting.

If I recall correctly, Guardians held very, very well on Sunday.

No need to break it down to a pissing contest ... CM made more opening weekend, and it will have to get a healthy multiplier to pass Wonder Woman overall in the US.

Overseas ... well, MCU is a beast.  CM should get close to 1.1 billion.

but having seen both, I agree with @CJohn :P

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yeah, no doubt it was held back somewhat by the reputation of its universe, specifically BvS. If that movie had even good word of mouth, WW would have benefitted more during OW. 

What makes CM's opening even more impressive is not just that the character was unknown to the general audience but that the movie could open this big without the presence of a handsome male love interest to draw in more men and women. That's something I don't think has been talked about enough. It was a rather bold move and quite refreshing. I say that as someone who very much enjoys romance in movies. 

• Like 6

To me, Captain Marvel's numbers are so damn impressive especially when compared to other MCU characters and not necessarily Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman ended up being a beast domestically despite the "low" OW it had. But we are talking about the seventh highest opening weekend for an MCU movie. And if you take out the team up movies (sorry I am including Civil War as a team up movie for now since it did bring in a lot of the Avengers), it sits behind only Black Panther and Iron Man 3 as the third highest MCU movie opening. And even if you wanna include Civil War, it would be then fourth highest opening. It took three Iron Man movies and three Captain America movies for them to break $150M+ OW and Captain Marvel has done it on the first try. Insanity. Unreal. 

I know we talk about how big of a beast the MCU is but imo Captain Marvel's OW numbers are even bigger than what you'd expect out of an MCU movie. Especially an origin one. It's 90% higher than the typical opening for an origin movie (and in some cases doubled the OW of MCU origin movies)

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nova said:

To me, Captain Marvel's are so damn impressive especially when compared to other MCU characters and not necessarily Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman ended up being a beast domestically despite the "low" OW it had. But we are talking about the seventh highest opening weekend for an MCU movie. And if you take out the team up movies (sorry I am including Civil War as a team up movie for now since it did bring in a lot of the Avengers), it sits behind only Black Panther and Iron Man 3 as the third highest MCU movie opening. And even if you wanna include Civil War, it would be then fourth highest opening. It took three Iron Man movies and three Captain America movies for them to break $150M+ OW and Captain Marvel has done it on the first try. Insanity. Unreal. 

Imo, it also speaks volumes about 1) the MCU's giant growth in Phase 3 worldwide and 2) the massive anticipation for Endgame that undoubtely helped CM.

• Like 2