sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

It's unreasonable when the same posters aren't anti AT&T, Comcast, Fox, Sony, Viacom. 

It's also really fucking boring to read ad nauseam especially when it has nothing to do with the individual films themselves

There aren't any AT&T/Comcast/Fox/Sony/Viacom fanboys on this site either. No one said I was "against Warner Bros./AT&T" when I said Fantastic Beasts 2 was going to flop, or that I'm "against Fox" if I think Dark Phoenix will bomb

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's unreasonable when the same posters aren't anti AT&T, Comcast, Fox, Sony, Viacom. 

It's also really fucking boring to read ad nauseam especially when it has nothing to do with the individual films themselves

They are hypocritical? Well I never!

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-11-at-8.52.02-AM.png

Hahaha, in their defense they really fix this with second trailer, at least online nobody is talking about bad Genie visuals anymore and views are great on every single platform.

But i’m saying about ads, several people here are saying in the past days they are getting Aladdin / TS4 ads already but nothing for Dumbo. 

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

There aren't any AT&T/Comcast/Fox/Sony/Viacom fanboys on this site either. No one said I was "against Warner Bros./AT&T" when I said Fantastic Beasts 2 was going to flop, or that I'm "against Fox" if I think Dark Phoenix will bomb

If you think there aren't any WB fanboys on this site you haven't been reading very closely.

If you're not the one doing it then it doesn't apply to you.  To claim other's aren't doing it is myopic.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Litio said:

https://deadline.com/2016/03/cinderella-movie-profit-2015-box-office-disney-1201724740/

https://deadline.com/2015/03/maleficent-profit-box-office-2014-1201391209/

See release costs. Yes, $140m is a guess, but release costs aren't cheap for big budgeted movies like this.

They do not know the release cost, they use industry averages/budget.

Means you have to look for what ppl here say how big the campaign per region was. And acc to that, it seems not to have gotten the average treatment, but less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

So Cinderella opening weekend is possible?

Given earlier previews and previews being a larger factor than in 2015, I’d certainly say under Cinderella OW.

The lowest I see it going is ~35m, the highest is ~60m.  Will depend on how frontloaded it is

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Litio said:

https://deadline.com/2016/03/cinderella-movie-profit-2015-box-office-disney-1201724740/

https://deadline.com/2015/03/maleficent-profit-box-office-2014-1201391209/

See release costs. Yes, $140m is a guess, but release costs aren't cheap for big budgeted movies like this.

If we’re going this route, why not have Dark Phoenix go to Disney Plus?

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

Hating on Dumbo! You guys have no heart!!!!

I don’t see what’s wrong with people not being all that excited about the success of an unoriginal, corporate remake from a large studio that just bought out some of its major competition.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I don’t see what’s wrong with people not being all that excited about the success of an unoriginal, corporate remake from a large studio that just bought out some of its major competition.

But Dumbo-the elephant is too cute. Like a Panda cute. awww

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think it is just easy to root against Disney because of their practices, doesn't mean I want every Disney IP to suffer, I hope dumbo does ok.

It's easy to hate on Disney for some people because Disney has dominated so many genres in movies and related industry.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm guessing around 55 mil. Not going with 60 mil yet since Cinderella opened to 67 mil with 2.3 mil previews and I am guessing previews started later for that movie.

I think it will open to around 197 mil pure friday and then Cinderella holds for the rest of the weekend. Would like to know the cinemascore.

197m pure Friday :jeb!:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

I guess 2.6 is still a strong result, maybe not for a 170M movie but nonetheless it likely won’t be another huge Disney bomb. Sales in my city pointed to 3+ but the result we got is still pretty decent.

I think the goal for today should be above 13M, I don’t know if this plays frontloded on Friday or not, but if it can play like a regular kids film 13-15M should be good

It won't bomb, but it's not going to do what Disney probably expected from one of it's live action remakes of an anmated film.

I would not be surprised if any plans for a live action remake of an older Disney animated film get a low priority.

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I thought Disney was so huge it had no competition even pre-Fox deal

Every studio does re-makes, sequels, pre-quels etc .  Every studio is "Corporate" - several more than Disney which has a huge focus on film and didn't sell itself to a multi media conglomerate. 

People are salivating over Dune, which has had a film and a mini-series already.  People are dying for news on the next Batman.  Come now.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

It won't bomb, but it's not going to do what Disney probably expected from one of it's live action remakes of an anmated film.

I would not be surprised if any plans for a live action remake of an older Disney animated film get a low priority.

I disagree.  At this point I would look at all Disney theater releases as advertising and bottom line reduction for content on their streaming service.  They know all too well they are cannibalizing themselves at the box office this year...but this is about beefing up their library before they launch Disney+.  And if they can make a few bucks at the box office then why not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Such a needed post that I’m quoting it just so it appears more in the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TMP said:

or maybe we don't think poor, purely corporate remakes of already great cartoons should be rewarded with huge box office figures?

Isn’t every major release...corporate? These studios aren’t doing this for a benefit of mankind, as much as they’d try and make you think that 

• Like 1