cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

New Shazam! Fury of the Gods Poster Released

Thats gotta be one of the worst posters i've seen, "fury of the gods" is too small and no one can be blamed for thinking this is a poster of the first one, I really like the first one, but so far this has done a terrible job differentiating it from the first one, marketing should go all in on the number 2

Feels like WB is just letting this die. The lack of marketing is so sad. And yes I know that studios have started doing late, short term marketing blitzes but we've seen they've also stick to the long game with movies they're really confident in. It makes it feel like it's a big deal.

Luckily this one doesn't need to be huge to be successful.

Edited by Verrows
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Feels like WB is just letting this die. The lack of marketing is so sad. And yes I know that studios have started doing late, short term marketing blitzes but we've seen they've also stick to the long game with movies they're really confident in. It makes it feel like it's a big deal.

Luckily this one doesn't need to be huge to be successful.

WB learned a hard lesson with Black Adam, never put all your eggs in one basket or overspend on marketing.

With Rock continuing to make embrassing online posts and the Cavill recasting, they probably regret making that film.

With Shazam, WB is likely waiting until Antman comes out before starting the Marketing blitz.

• Like 3

With all the 2023 DC movies being dead weight, I can't really blame Warner for giving up on this. The first film not leaving much of a mark was always going to cripple this movie. The looming Gunn reboot is just the straw that'll break the camel's back here. The fact that the first real piece of marketing since the Comic-Con trailer is being timed to be the same week as the highly anticipated Oscar nominations says it all.

I'll still see it since it looks great and will be the last time we'll see Shazam for at least another decade. I'll cherish the time I have left with these character. I just don't think general audiences will bother.

I don’t really see why we’d expect this to crank up until after QM, and there’s a new trailer dropping in the next 7 days. So on the one hand I wouldn’t take the current state on that front as a particularly negative indication.  

That said if WB distribution money is tight as rumored that could be a minor drag — and even in the normal course of things, perfectly normal for a sequel without much “added value” (that I know of, haven’t been following too closely) to decline from the 1st entry even if well received.  

In other words, hopefully WB had a nice budget again because something like 125 would seem pretty normal here.

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I don’t really see why we’d expect this to crank up until after QM, and there’s a new trailer dropping in the next 7 days. So on the one hand I wouldn’t take the current state on that front as a particularly negative indication.  

That said if WB distribution money is tight as rumored that could be a minor drag — and even in the normal course of things, perfectly normal for a sequel without much “added value” (that I know of, haven’t been following too closely) to decline from the 1st entry even if well received.  

In other words, hopefully WB had a nice budget again because something like 125 would seem pretty normal here.

People are quick to lose their minds over a perceived lack of advertising lately, forgetting that the pandemic fundamentally changed the way that studios promote their movies. Shazam is still 2 months away, they’d be blowing their advertising budget too early if they’d been doing anything before now.

Marketing more than 2 months out is only going to appeal to the fans who are in the bag for these things anyway, if they want general audiences to turn up they’ll push it harder closer to release, which it seems is exactly what they’re doing.

• Like 5